BMW Z3 M Roadster (1998 - 2002)

More products from BMW >>
Z3 M Roadster (1998 - 2002) MSRP: $ 45990.00

(1998 - 2002) The Z3 was the first BMW roadster to be sold in America since the legendary 507 was discontinued in 1959. While the Z3's retro styling has the feel of classic roadsters, the car is thoroughly modern, foregoing no creature comfort or ergonomic consideration. In 1998, BMW's M motorsports division added the Z3 to its collection of high-performance M models with the addition of the M Roadster. Equipped with a tuned down version of the engine found in the powerful new M3 and styling befitting of an M car, the lightweight M Roadster reaches 60 mph in just five seconds.

BMWBovine

March 6, 2008

Price Paid:  $19500.00 from Voss Auto-Spfd MO

1998 M Roadster

Strengths:
POWER from 1000-7000 RPM's with no gaps or peaks in the S52 engine. No body role except to the rear under heavy acceleration. Yes it will go 155 (or more with Dinan). Gorgeous, ultra classy, styling. Unparalleled predictability and control. Firm suspension, and super powerful breaking. What more, I get a minimum of 22 mpg often 24 in the city and as much as 28 on the highway- though I do drive my M very conservatively.

Weaknesses:
Other than the fact that I don't want to get out of it once I'm in it? The first thing that comes to mind is the plastic back window (and with the top up, the car does have a blind spot as do all ragtops). Second, as many reviewers have mentioned the seats don't recline enough. For me its no big deal, but say if I wanted to pull over on a date and watch the stars, you neck is probably going to hurt after a few minutes. I have never done this but I hear this is the absolute worst car to drive on ice as well. With regards to performance issues, the rear suspension needs to be harder and tighter. Other complaint would be that I think the clutch is spongy(this may be unfair because my daily driver Del Sol has a racing clutch). Personally, I think it could really use a 6th gear since I feel like the torque of he engine always leaves power in reserve. The break dust as some mention can also get annoying. Finally, yes the stereo is terrible, but get some Dinan intake and exhaust and enjoy that tune(or don't and it still sounds great)!

Summary:
After a one year search for my graduation car, this is what I landed on. I picked it up 2 years ago now with 25k miles in mint condition as a local one owner. And now I'm sold on BMW. The car makes me smile just thinking about it and is an absolute joy to drive. I drove it so much in the first summer that I had to get a second car to keep miles off of it (plus that dropped insurance 1k per year by having it as a pleasure car). In any case,this car has a superb power band for an I6. I often cruise around town in 5th gear (going 30-35) simply because I can without having to downshift if I want to accelerate, and yet if I need to I can very quickly with the ultra smooth and sold gear box. Personally I love the seats and retro interior. As for the exterior, it is definitely love it or hate it, but I don't see how anyone could hate it. The wider back-end (compared to the z3) definitely makes it appear more powerful as well as sexier. BMW got it right on this car! If you can find either a low mile M or one with a great trackable history, nothing in the price range is even close to comparable.

2004-2006 Nissan 350z, 99 Audi TT Quatro, 2000 and 2006 S2000, 2006 RX-8, 2005 GTO, Honda Del Sol (my DayDriver car), BMW Z3(2.5 and 2.8) and Z4, Acura RSX-S, Mercedes SLK 320

John Marley

January 22, 2003

Review 2 of 31 , from Stamford

Price Paid:  $4.00 from Greenwich BMW

1998 M Roadster

Strengths:
power, handling, looks, and it is a BMW

Weaknesses:
the ride was a little bumpy and it was extremely loud. Many like this, but somtetimes it is annoying.

Summary:
This car is unbelieveable. It is owned by my friends dad and he was trading thisone in for the new 2002 model. The model I drove many times cause my friend let me rip on it. The power is unbelieveable. I was traveling at 35 and i downshifted and was at 90 in no time.

Harry Thompson

December 3, 2002

Review 3 of 31 , from Studio City California UA

Price Paid:  $280000.00 from Century West BMW **C

1998 M Roadster

Strengths:
Instant Power & Torque in *any* gear. Superb Handling. Monster Brakes. Great Looks. Wonderful reliability. A Very Solid feel.

Weaknesses:
Ok the plastic window? But c'mon it's a ROADSTER for cryin out loud!!

Summary:
Went from a Supercharged Miata to this M-Roadster. The "M" is for MONSTER !! This car is simply UNBELIEVABLE. More power than I had expected. Handling that is possible only from German engineering, and brakes that will put your eyeballs on the dashboard. I am in love with this car. It puts all challengers in the "Humble Seat". That's for both speed & handling! I know it isn't the fastest car in the *world* but I am still waiting to lose a challenge locally ;-).

SuperCharged/Intercooled Miata

mroadster2k

December 2, 2002

Review 4 of 31 , from Edison, NJ

Price Paid:  $32000.00 from Certified BMW...can'

2000 M Roadster

Strengths:
POWER. This thing hauls, and it only has 240bhp!! I mean, the new accord has 240bhp. Handling is superb, with virtually no signs of bodyroll, even during hard cornering. I love the interior, wide exterior, deep wheels, exhaust notes (even better with the dinan upgrades) The aerodinamic kit makes the car look the more aggressive, raw. Drivers can only guess what lurks underneath the hood. Smooth trans, clutch, tight shifting, suspension, It's an M!!!

Weaknesses:
Car Radio, HORRIBLE, not for a $40k car. The radio had to go within a month, it was that bad. I went for a Pioneed 8400 mp3, nice touch of silver, matched to a titanium M shifter...and the problem was fixed. The Harmann Kardon speakers are great. Interior rattles, well, I guess that just goes with the "convertible deal." Break dust every other day, massive buildup, even if the wheels are washed 3x/week...And the other thing, though not a big deal, is the plastic window...

Summary:
20.3K miles...Excellent...Just excellent. I got it in March '02 with 13K on it. I was in the market for a 2-seater convertible, and I decided to look at my possible options. Miata....well, no. Then there was the SLK; I figured, it looks classy, refined, yet weak, and I wanted something with a little more power. The AMG was financially out of the question, as was the Boxter S. The S2000 looked somewhat similar on paper (240bhp, braking, etc) Little did I know that, in order to get the most out of the Honda, I'd have to floor it, just to get the V-tec to pop. I was set on the BMW, but then, which one, 2001 or 2000? $9000 difference, 75bhp extra, chrome trim on rearview mirror...I drove them both, and though I have to say the 2001 has more power, the 2000 FELT quicker off the start (max torque hits at a lower RPM band). 2001 quarter-mile times are much faster, but it's $9000, $9k in my pocket. Got the 2000 model, some DINAN stuff, and I'm loving it.

S2000, owned Honda Prelude, MR2 Turbo (that was fast!!)

Paul

July 30, 2002

Price Paid:  $37500.00 from Difeo BMW

2001 M Roadster

Strengths:
Power, handling, style, uniqueness

Weaknesses:
Stereo...even with 9 speakers, it's still hard to get good sound at 100mph with the top down, but who cares, the engine sounds 10 times better anyway!

Summary:
I've had the car for a few days now and I must say I'm a 16 year old boy again! This car begs to be driven at speed, shifting is effortless, and the sound of the 315hp winding up is sensational! Handling is superior and craftmanship is A+. This is a true sports car...a long term hold, not some overproduced Vette with lackluster styling. My hats off to BMW for producing such an incredible machine!