2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata

More products from Mazda >>
MX-5 Miata MSRP: $ 20585.00 - $ 26760.00

The 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata is a 2-door, 2-passenger convertible sports car, available in 6 trims, ranging from the Sport to the Special Edition Power Retractable HT.

The Sport is equipped with a standard 2.0-liter, I4, 167-horsepower engine that achieves 22-mpg in the city and 28-mpg on the highway.

The Special Edition Power Retractable HT is equipped with a standard 2.0-liter, I4, 167-horsepower engine that achieves 21-mpg in the city and 28-mpg on the highway.

Expert Review: 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Can it Really be Improved?
Expert Rating: 4 stars

"Ruling: A legendary weekend sports car becomes a legendary every day sports car."

Visit our photo gallery to view more pictures of the 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Allen F

December 26, 2010

Price Paid:  $29500.00 from Chapman

2011 PRHT - Garnd Touring - 6 Sd. Man.

Strengths:
One with the car, responsive engine, smooth transmission, decent ride, great handling, good exhaust note.

Weaknesses:
Bose sound system, center console cup holders.

Summary:
So I've read most of the reviews, and found respondents comments interesting, especially from owners of previous high end cars (BMW, Porsche) saying they were happier with the Miata. Well, now that I purchased one and have had the driving experience, and also an owner of a 1999 Mustang Cobra, I can appreciate their comments. The Cobra was powerful and a fun car to drive, however the Miata delivers the true total driving experience. Our first drive was through the switchback roads of South Mountain (twisty & curvy); I can't even describe the ultimate thrill of driving fairly aggressively on this type of road. The car seemed to ask for more as it was soaking up the curves with no problem. We bought the PRHT more for security reasons and are extremely happy. The engine is very responsive, especially at the higher RPM range, the 6 speed manual is like silk, and it seems intuitive as though it wants to drive itself, upshifting and downshifting require no thought, and the throws are short and crisp. The exhaust has a very nice rumble, but is not obnoxious. The ride for such a small car (short wheel base) is actually incredible, and it has the suspension package (Bilstien shocks). The comments about wearing the car are true; again with this car I would expect that to be the case, I find it exciting. However when driving 70 mph on the highway, I do not feel intimidated by trucks or larger vehicles. The quality of the build exceeds expectations; however I would expect nothing less from a car built in Hiroshima. The interior is satisfying as far as creature comforts and materials used. Bose system is nothing special, but again with this car, especially with the top down, the exhaust note is all of the stereo sound I need to hear. Tunk space is modest a couple of overnight bags would fit, the nice thing about the PRHT is that is does not infringe on the trunk space. By the way the biggest complaint of past owners (cup holders in the door) has been addressed, and is not a problem as least as far as we have noticed. The cup holders are still in the door panel but have been relocated higher in the door, away from the area of where the driver’s leg may be. Two cup holders still reside in the center console, but are almost useless, especially with the manual transmission. There is not a lot of storage space within the cabin, I’m not sure how big of a deal that is, and it doesn't bother us. I did pay close attention to the behavior of the car with the top down, and did not notice much cowl shake, especially when driving aggressively on the mountain switchback roads. Mazda has a substantial brace at the front shock towers to help the condition. Bottom line, anyone looking for a spirited, performance, handling, good sounding, reasonable ride vehicle at a great price, look no further, this car delivers in all aspects. I am now a Miata convert. If you read this review and are looking at the Miata I hope this info was of interest and good luck on your decision.

1999 Mustang Cobra

Allen

December 26, 2010

Price Paid:  $29500.00 from Chapman

2011 PRHT - Grand Touring - 6 SP MAN.

Strengths:
One with the car, handling, responsive engine, smooth transmission, excellent ride for small car.

Weaknesses:
Bose stereo is marginal, but in this car who cares.

Summary:
So I've read most of the reviews, and found respondents comments interesting, especially from owners of previous high end cars (BMW, Porsche) saying they were happier with the Miata. Well, now that I purchased one and have had the driving experience, and also an owner of a 1999 Mustang Cobra, I can appreciate their comments. The Cobra was powerfull and a fun car to drive, however the Miata delivers the true total driving experience. Our first drive was through the switchback roads of South Mountain (twisty & curvy), I can't even describe the ultimate thrill of driving fairly aggressively on this type of road. The car seemed to ask for more as it was soaking up the curves with no problem. We bought the PRHT more foe security reasons and are exteremely happy. The engine is very responsive, especially at the higher RPM range, the 6 speed manual is like silk, it seems intuative as though it wants to drive itself, upshifting and downshifting require no thought, tne throws are short and crisp. The exhaust has a very nice rumble, but is not abnoxious. The ride for such a small car (short wheel base) is actually incredible, and it has the suspension package (Bilstien shocks). The comments about wearing the car are true, again with this car I would expect that to be the case, I find it exciting. However when driving 70 mph on the highway, I do not feel intimidated by trucks or larger vehicles. The quality of the build exceeds expectations, however I would expect nothing less from a car built in Hiroshima. The interior is satisfying as far as creature comforts and materials used. Bose system is nothing special, but again with this car, especially with the top down, the exhaust note is all of the stereo sound I need to hear. Tunk space is modest a couple of overnight bags would fit, the nice thing about the PRHT is that is does not infringe on the trunk space. By the way the biggest complaint of past owners (cup holders in the door) has been addressed, and is not a problem as least as far as we have noticed. The cup holders are still in the door panel but have been relocated higher in the door, away from the area of where the drivers leg may be. Two cup holders still reside in the center console, but are almost useless, especially with the manual tranmission. There is not a lot of storage space within the cabin, Im not sure how big of a deal that is, it doesn't bother us. I did pay close attention to the behavior of the car with the top down, and did not notice much cowl shake, especially when driving aggressively on the mountain switchback roads. Mazda has a substantial brace at the front shock towers to help the condition. Bottom line, anyone looking for a spirited, performance, handling, good sounding, reasonable ride vehicle at a great price, look no further, this car delivers in all aspects. I am now a Miata convert. If you read this review and are looking at the Miata I hope this info was of interest and good luck on your decision.

1999 Mustang Cobra

ihatemiatas

May 1, 2010

Price Paid:  $29000.00 from Fag-nuisance Fremont

2002 2002 LS

Strengths:
FUN

Weaknesses:
EVERYTHING ELSE

Summary:
Man, Miata's are so lame, you should sell your "toy" and buy a REAL machine. I'd rather drive a HARDTOP Mustang GT, and I HATE MUSTANGS. I HATE MIATA'S 1,000,000x more!

WHY WOULD I DRIVE ANOTHER?!?!

Godless Commie

February 29, 2008

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Private party

Strengths:
It does fit you like a glove..
A word for tall drivers: I had aches and cramps, especially in my right leg during extended trips the first couple months in my first Miata. That was untill I discovered the "seat modification" trick at miata.net. It take no time, no special tools, and you almost get into a whole different car when you are done with the modification. Highly reccommended.

Beautiful performance. (I said beautiful.. not aggreesive, not brutal, not powermonsterously fast.. just beautiful.)

Sure footed, confidence inspiring, go cart like handling.

Fuel economy.

Reliability! No trips to the dealer for anything other than scheduled maintenance.

And, yes, I may be very partial to Miatas, but they do look great. They have a rather timeless look to them. Even the 18 year old miatas do not look outdated.

Weaknesses:
Any car could use more power..

The stereo leaves a lot to be desired.. Had to do intensive modifications to both cars to install extra speakers. Repced the CD player, as well while I was at it.. Great with six drivers, I can truly enjoy the music with top down at 80 Mph

Summary:
This is my second '99 Miata. The first one was a metallic silver, a base model with 14" wheels and almost no options other than a/c and (possibly retrofitted) leather seats. (I purchased and installed a Torsen LSD in the silver one. What a difference!)
My current Miata is red (classic red) with ABS, 15" wheels, LSD and even though it does not have the sport version, noticeably stiffer suspension, and no a/c. ( I quickly learned that a/c in a convertible is not a joke, you really need it on truly hot days when the sun just bakes you no matter what speed you're cruising at.
One of the best modifications I have done to the car was to replace the standard 55/65W H4 bulbs with motorcycle version 80/100W H4s. Adjusted down just a little bit to prevent bothering oncoming traffic, they are great for night driving.
I personally believe the '99 is the best among the year models. If I were to shop around for another car someday, it certainly would be for my third Miata..

Triumph TR6. I no longer have to rebuild the front end with it brass trunnions every spring. And the Miata does not "feature" Lucas electrical components!

Rensho

June 6, 2007

Price Paid:  $29000.00 from Santa Maria

2007 PRHT

Strengths:
Handles fairly well. Light and tossable. Good stock power, but of course, it can use more. Great build quality. NVH is much better than my NB.

Weaknesses:
Pricey for the HP you get. Way too much RPM on fwy cruizing. Needs an overdrive, badly.

Summary:
My 2nd miata. First was a 1999 miata with a BRP 45 supercharger.
The NC is a major step up, and the folding hardtop is perfect. I could have bought a 2006 for $7000 less than this, but the folding top is a must have for me. The suspension package is a disappointment. It is soft, and leans more than it should. The car really needs larger swaybars and lower springs. I haven't found any major issues that I don't like. If I crashed it today, I'd buy another one exactly like it.

Boxster, Boxster S, S2000, Lotus Elise/Exige.