2011 Audi A6

More products from Audi >>
A6 MSRP: $ 42950.00 - $ 56300.00

The Audi A6 receives exterior updates including a high-gloss single-frame grille, new bumpers, air vents, fog lights, new LED taillights and chrome accents for the doors and trunk. Available xenon plus headlights now include LED daytime running lights. The new 3.0 TFSI V6 engine combines the benefits of direct fuel injection and a supercharger to deliver 300 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, combined with a Tiptronic automatic transmission and new 40/60 asymmetric rear-biased quattro all-wheel drive. Three equipment levels are offered: Premium, Premium Plus and Prestige.

Expert Review: V8 car cookout: Bratwurst (Audi S5), Beef Teriyaki (Lexus IS-F) or Bacon Cheeseburgers (Challenger SRT-8)?
Expert Rating: 4.25 stars

"Horsepower. Raw, tire-melting horsepower. Every man worth his chest hair can’t deny it’s one of the first criteria for buying a car powered by a V8. Typically, the more the horsepower..."

Expert Review: 2009 Audi A6
Expert Rating: 4.25 stars

"Befitting its German heritage, the A6 is most comfortable on the open road, cruising at a high rate of speed. This car was designed for the Autobahn..."

Dale Orthner

August 12, 2007

Price Paid:  $52000.00 from Stevens Creek Audi

2008 3.2 quattro

Strengths:
The exterior styling of the 2008 model contains an extra grille slot below main grill that adds a significant amount of additional flare to the front appearance. Also, the now standard 18” 5 spoke wheels should be easier to keep clean and are an aesthetic improvement over most smaller and higher spoke count wheels.

The interior design features the classic Audi attention to detail with very attractive wood inserts and stitched leather seats. I opted for the lighter beige interior color and the segmented steering wheel which has wood sections to complement those of the dash, doors, and center console.

As for features, those that I most like include the adaptive air suspension (special order only on the 2008 3.2) which allows for selecting comfort or dynamic modes depending on your current whim, and also a “lift” option which provides more ground clearance at lower speeds. The back up camera is ready to go right on startup and is very useful once you get used to its indications. The Bose sound, audio pilot, and surround sound options make for great listening, which is a little surprising for a company (Bose) that seems to be almost entirely focused on marketing. The headlight washers will be great for keeping the lights bright even when driving home from skiing in the mountains through sand filled road spray. The rain sensitive wipers do not have a non-rain-sensing intermittent option, but perform reasonably well in most circumstances. The trunk is large with the entire back seat being able to fold down for all the storage one might want in a sedan or just the left seat to retain the right seating position. The full size spare keeps you riding in safe control in case of a flat. The adaptive headlights really help to illuminate corners, especially on dark nights with unlit roads.

Weaknesses:
WARNING about Audi’s European delivery program: While I highly recommend taking European delivery (go to audiusa.com and look under “experience”), Audi’s program, which just restarted a couple of years ago, is extremely behind schedule. I had to fight very, very hard just to get my documentation two days before my departure, not the two weeks promised on their web site. They seem to be critically understaffed in this area.

Summary:
Having just returned from driving my A6 in Europe for two weeks (see WARNING below about Audi’s European delivery program), during which I drove over 2,400 miles, I can report my complete satisfaction with the vehicle. Even when trying in vain to make sense of Italy’s road signs (which display far too many route numbers, city names, and regional descriptions, yet at the same time rarely what you need to reliably navigate through to your destination), the car was still a joy to drive.

The A6 is a very comfortable car to drive, whether on a quick hop down the street or a long haul spanning a country. The seats (standard, not sport) hold you firmly in place yet produce no sore spots even after hours of riding. The low noise levels of the cabin aid greatly in limiting fatigue and the controls are well positioned for easy use. The much maligned MMI (main controller for navigation, radio, phone, and car setup options) does require some study, but is convenient to operate and a much better alternative than having 100 or so separate buttons. If you can point and click your way to this review, you can easily learn to operate all of the MMI functions.

The performance and handling of the A6 is impressive. I opted for the 3.2 liter (3,123 cc) instead of the 4.2 to optimize both fuel economy and handling. The extra cost of the 4.2 both to purchase and operate is not easily justified by the moderate increase in acceleration. When I want to accelerate my eyeballs to the back of my head, I hop on my FJR1300 motorcycle. And the 3.2 does just fine in getting up to speed, whether merging, passing, or setting the pace for autobahn traffic.

Driving in Germany is an experience everyone should have. After limiting my pace to 100 mph or so for the break in period, I reached the car’s electronic speed cap of 134 mph several times. In the A6, that seemingly reckless velocity is in reality a rather mundane occurrence while at the same time still very cool. Even at that speed, the car is rock solid with very tight steering and no drift, shake, wobble, or float. And when the time comes to rein in the horses for slower traffic ahead, the brakes are very controlled and predictable. The downside of course is that once my car is back here in the states, my ability to keep within our paltry speed limits will be greatly impeded.

The suspension of the A6 is a surprising combination of road surface sensing and isolation from harsh jolts. The feel is like reading the road with your hands, having the ability to detect any grove, bump, ridge, or even surface composition changes. But that ever present and useful information is easily ignored and imposed on the driver only with substantial impacts with surface imperfections. You always “know” what conditions the tires are encountering but rarely do you have to think about it.

And the quattro all wheel drive is truly remarkable. While I didn’t have any snow to drive on in Europe (Switzerland doesn’t allow cars up to it’s Jungfrau and Schilthorn areas), I did test out the traction control on a dirt parking lot. I stomped on the accelerator and got nothing but a surprising amount of forward acceleration. Any other drive system would have dug a hole and spread a lot of dirt.

Having done a lot of research on quattro at torsen.com and other sites, I summarize its operation with the following: All other four wheel drive systems are like walking on a slippery sidewalk, slipping, and then catching yourself before you fall. Audi’s quattro is like not slipping in the first place. It does this by mechanically and instantaneously sending extra torque to the set of wheels (front or rear) that has more traction. Other systems have to slip first, then detect the slip with ABS sensors, then actuate a clutch which then sends more torque to the wheels with more traction. Audi does use ABS sensors to regulate slip between the left and right wheels on the front or rear of the car, but uses the ingenious and completely mechanical TORSEN center differential to distribute torque between the front and rear pairs of wheels. In most cases, this prevents slip before it happens, rather than trying to play catch up like those systems on BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Acura, etc.

DENISE

August 26, 2008

Price Paid:  $45000.00 from TRACEY AUDI HYANNIS

Strengths:
LOTS OF POWER AND FAST

Weaknesses:
AUDI SERVICE DEPT. IS HORRIBLE, EVERYTIME I HAD A PROBLEM AND BELIEVE ME THERE WERE MANY, SERVICE ALWAYS SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG, I TOOK MY CAR TO ANOTHER AUDI DEALERSHIP, MY CAR HAD MAJOR PROBLEMS, TRACY AUDI KEPT DENYING THERE WAS A PROBLEM AND THE PROBLEMS WERE OBVIOUS, LIKE NOISES ETC. I CALLED AUDI DIRECTLY THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT HELP ME SO I WAS SCREWED!! ALSO THEY REALLY TRY TO ROB THE CONSUMER YOU CAN'T EVEN CHANGE YOUR OWN BATTERY. I HAD SO MUCH BETTER LUCK WITH HYUNDAI THER SERVICE WAS AWESOME!!! I TRADED MY AUDI IN FOR A FORD AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THE ONLY WAY I'D EVER HAVE ANOTHER AUDI IS SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TO GIVE IT TO ME AND THEN I'D TRADE IT IN. I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THE DEALER AND AUDI ITSELF IS RACIST OR JUST PLAIN DUMB

Summary:
AUDI HAS A GREAT RIDE AND THE SOUND SYSTEM IS INCREDIBLE, YOU LITERALLY FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DRIVING ON AIR

kevin daniel

April 16, 2006

Price Paid:  $46000.00 from University Audi

2005 Audi A6 3.2

Strengths:
Absolutely beautiful looking car. When it runs right it is quite fun to drive.

Weaknesses:
Audi service department spends more time with my car than I do.

Summary:
Let there be no doubt this is a beautiful car. I have only one issue with this car and its somewhat of a big one- its in the shop every 3 months. A few weeks after leasing this car I went to start it up at the airport after being gone a few days. It died. Took it in and Audi service found nothing wrong with it. From then on, each time I started it the idle would stutter for a few minutes until it "warmed up." Audi service looked at it again and tried to convince me thats the way these cars are. It continued to die and had to be taken in again. This time it was faulty fuel injectors which they replaced under warranty. More recently the gas guage would fall from 1/4 tank to empty in a matter of seconds. I took it in again to find out it needed a new float in the tank and needed some software upgrades. No problem. Driving home I could smell a very strong odor of gas. This morning I walk into the garage to find my A-6 above an enormous puddle of gasoline. Ive had it with this thing.

Honda Accord

dustinaudi

February 9, 2011

Price Paid:  $20000.00 from private sale

2005 audi a6 3.2 sport

Strengths:
styling, attaction, curb appeal. performance, quietness, opulence, quick,

Weaknesses:
I can't really comment here. I am a home mechanic so I do most repairs myself and pay wholesale for parts so save a ton of money there, but if i had to go to the garage all the time it would be very expensive.

Summary:
Well my story began many years ago when i purchased a vw passat and loved it, then one day i was going up an icy road and got stuck with my passat and a quattro passed me with ease, then i knew i was missing out big on something, i bought an a4 (2002) and loved it but is is smaller than a passat so i bought a 2005 a6 black low suspension fully loaded, i don't buy new cars a total waste of money i paid 20k for a 65k car, so what it has some miles on it but not worth the extra expense, cars loose value all the time but less as the car gets older. i always buy the newer model, i would never have bought a 2004 because the model was revamped in 2005 next change is 2012 i think, that will be my next car when i buy another one in 2017 perhaps. so the quattro is second to none and goes like stink on ice and snow, esp is like the hand of god controlling the car. i have a steep driveway and would often get stuck with my passat, now ha it is a joke, the other day for the fun of it i sprayed my driveway with water when it was 0 degrees outside then drove out of my garage and stopped on the ice.....there was some wheel spin but it was not an issue to get up the hill. fwd or rwd forget about it never would make it up, i love quattro i don't mind it being winter anymore i love driving in the snow now, not many people can say that, much more fun to drive in the snow than dry because it is so capable, love passing people on the side of the road that are stuck or can't make it up a hill, my little devil inside me.
so i will drive quattro for life now. super comfortable on long trips, i do pei and montreal often and don't need to stop to stretch. great car and used is a bargain. funny i went to the car show and liked the jeep wrangler rubicon with the top off and doors as well, i drove one but it was not bad for a 2011 model but certainly no where close in comfort to my audi but as a second car to play around with yes and to go off road rock crawling etc......invest in a innova 3100 to read the codes if you get a check engine light and change the part yourself if you can will save a ton of money. well hope this helps and prompts some of you who are not sure if you should buy one or not. you should just for the quattro alone, but you still have everything else that you want in a car as well.

Dustin

andog_79

September 7, 2009

Price Paid:  $23500.00 from World Autos

2003 Audi A6 2.7L, Quattro

Strengths:
Beautiful Car, comfortable drive.

Weaknesses:
Customer service with Audi North america SUCKS! Oh and excessive, costly repairs do not help with this either.

Summary:
This car is a great car, but will be my last Audi. I have had this car now for 4 years and have put 150K miles on it. I bought it with 45K miles on it. I have a very long commute and when there are no issues, this car is great. When there are issues, you are screwed! I have ran te gammit of possible problems and I currently am driving my back-up vehicle, a 2000 ford mustang as my car needs to go back into the shop. I have driven several vehicles to 200K+miles and this is the only one that has had this many issues. I have had to replace all 6 coil packs, the turbos, the suspension, the 2nd water pump, 1st was replaced during timing belt service, abs sensors, flasher relay, brake light switch and alternator. Currently my car is leaking oil and needs the ABS module replaced, the sunroof needs fixing as it leaks, and the torque converter needs replacing. Which by the way is in an Audi technical bulletin as this is a common failure. Also, my digital display in my dash is starting to disappear and my physical dash is starting to warp, remisnicent of the cheap ass Kia's in the mid 90's. I think that is it, but I have not driven the car in 8 months as I need to replace the Torque converter and will probably rebuild the tranny to be safe. Audi Customer service is non-existant which is why I will not own another Audi. I have persuaded at least 10 drivers not to buy Audi's. And before you think that this is a German car I am friends with multiple people whose vehicle Line-up range from BMW 3-7 series, Mercedes from C-s Series, SL and Kompressor, Lambos, Porsche's, Ferraris, Bentleys, Jags, and Rolls. Not a single one experiences anything like I have on this vehicle.

Rolls, Jag, Bentley, Lambo, Ferrari,BMW, Mecedes. I myself I have driven 2 pontiacs(grand Prix and Bonneville), Mitsubishi 3000GT, Chevy corsica and Beretta to over 200k and all 5 cars added together needed fewer repairs than this audi in both qty and cost.