BMW 5-Series (2010 and older)

More products from BMW >>
5-Series (2010 and older) MSRP: $ 45950.00

The BMW 5 Series is a 4-door, 5-passenger luxury sedan, luxury sports sedan, or luxury wagon, available in 6 trims, ranging from the 528i Sedan to the 550i Sedan.

The 528i Sedan is equipped with a standard 3.0-liter, I6, 230-horsepower engine that achieves 18-mpg in the city and 28-mpg on the highway. The 550i Sedan is equipped with a standard 4.8-liter, V8, 360-horsepower engine that achieves 15-mpg in the city and 22-mpg on the highway.

Expert Review: 2011 BMW 535i
Expert Rating: 3.5 stars

"From the moment you push the Start button, the engine roars to life and you get a feeling like you are in a large luxury vehicle. However, once on the road, the 5-series feels like it’s shrinking as the dynamics of the suspension, brakes and engine work together to provide a confidence inspiring drive."

Kevin Dougherty

July 20, 2010

Price Paid:  $57625.00 from Global Imports

2008 535i

Strengths:
The seats are the most comfortable I have ever had and are great for long drives. The trunk is large.

Weaknesses:
A design flaw that makes the engine lose compression even when using top quality high test gasoline. The problem appears to be unrepairable. Also, the car is counter intuitive in the way features are laid out. Since my salesmen did such a poor job of explaining the car, there are features on it I still can't figure out. The electornic transmission is less than ideal and has a very difficult time going from park to drive. I often have to attempt this numerous times before it occurs.

Summary:
The biggest weakness with the car is a fundamental flaw in the car's engine. For some reason, gas purchased in the US fowls the fuel injectors resulting in a loss of compression in the engine. I have had this problem for 30 months and BMW's repeated attempts to address the issue have failed. The problem is intermittent and when the "engine" light is on, the car has extremely poor exceleration. It also seems to consume more gas. A service tech at Global Imports told me that this is a problem they are having specifically with this model and for some reason it is not happening in the European version. I have made 4 failed attempts to repair the car and have complained endlessly to Global and BMW. On three occasions I left messages with Global and once with BMW North America with no responce. The service rep who told me about the origin of the problem gave me a number to call and I actually got a person on the line. He was of no help what so ever and just said, when it happens again, bring it in. Another thing that is unbelievable, given the price of the car, is that the majority of dealers do not give you a loaner if you did not buy the car at their dealership. In other words, you can have a repeating problem like this and have to rent a car for several days while the car is being "repaired".I rarely get back to Atlanta these days and I have yet to find a local dealer willing to give me a loaner. When I asked the BMW rep if he could make sure that I get a loaner if I am out of town when this happens, his responce was that this is up to the individual dealers. BMW Corporate could (or would) do nothing about this. As a result, the car spends vertually all its time at Global on those occasions when I do get back to Atlanta. Is this any way to run a car company? I left the same BMW rep a message last week asking for an address so I could send a written detailed complaint to their corporate offices. Needless to say he never called me back. I guess if you ignore something long enough it will go away. In fact, in my case, they are correct. I had a 3 year lease on the car and it is up in 3 months. As a result, I guess I am going away, permenantly. I will never purchase anything from BMW again. It sounds as if they need to do a recall on the 535i. Given the economy, I am sure they will not be doing so. Buyer be ware, you have been warned.

Audi A6. Great car, should have bought another one.

wesvirginia

June 20, 2008

Price Paid:  $48000.00 from Assumed lease in NJ

2008 528 xi

Strengths:
Engine (BMW makes the best), style, power, handling.

Weaknesses:
I didn't get the sport package. Wish that I had. It handles and rides great but the sport package is more me. That is a personal decision.

Summary:
This is a great car. Fast, smooth, powerful, good stereo. I love the I Control system. I get better mileage than advertised and I am a somewhat agressive driver. I average 23-24 mpg, more when highway driving.

Mercedes 420 E.

LOUIS POPE, JR

February 21, 2008

Price Paid:  $64000.00 from HABBERSTADT BMW, HUN

2008 535XI

Strengths:
ENGINE, TRANS, TURBOS, POWER AND HANDLING

Weaknesses:
NAVIGATION SYSTEM, CUP HOLDERS, FUEL ECONOMY

Summary:
EXCELLENT WELL BALANCED VEHICLE. BEING AN AUTO ENTHUSIAST I TRADED A 2007 530XI FOR THE NEWER ENGINE. THE CAR IS PHENOMENAL. IT IS FAST BEYOND BELIEF. 6 CYL. @300HP IS ALMOST UNHEARD OF. THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO TURBO LAG AT ALL. THE ONLY DOWN SIDE IS I GAVE UP SOME ECONOMY BY GOING FOR THE 535. OTHER THAN THAT. THE CAR IS GREAT.

530XI, MERCEDES BENZ CLK550, MERCEDES BENZ CL550.

Matej

January 22, 2010

Price Paid:  $40000.00 from Used from private of

2007 530 d Touring

Strengths:
Engine response, handling, driving comfort, interior space, exterior design, general build quality, good (but not phenomenal) original stereo with sub-woofers

Weaknesses:
Interior design, interior materials, navigation system, fuel economy (especially in winter time), RWD in extreme winter conditions

Summary:
This is a very nice car. It is fast and powerful, quiet and comfortable even at high speed with very smooth automatic gearbox. It is fitted with good stereo and good front seats. The fuel economy suffers in city and in cold conditions but the car will do just fine on long journeys and cruising on highways and motorways. The two only real drawbacks for me are cars interior design with shabby materials used for console, switches and rear wheels drive which takes some time to get used to in poor driving conditions and doesn't handle snow and ice very well (despite all the electronic aids). On the other hand the real wheels drive and handling can be also the cars strongest point against main rivals when used in normal conditions. It is simple as that: "If you want comfortable car for winter conditions with great interior design and feel go for Audi Q for everything else BMW is a king".

2001 MB C200 Kompressor
2003 AUDI A4 Avant 2.0d
2005 AUDI A6 Avant 3.0d Quattro
2006 BMW 330d X-drive

treetops

November 24, 2004

Price Paid:  $36000.00 from Ferman BMW

2003 BMW 525i

Strengths:
Comfortable driving position, good ergonomics, great handling. Gas mileage is amazing, I'm getting 20 MPG as an average! On the highway I can get almost 30 MPG.

Weaknesses:
Cup holders, could use more back seat legroom.

Summary:
This car is a great value for the money. Smooth engine, tight suspension and great gas mileage. I drove a '99 528 for 4 year and really liked it. I've had this car since June '03 and I've put 16K miles on it and haven't had any problems.

1999 BMW 528i, Lexus E300, Acura Legend