2009 Oldsmobile Aurora

More products from Oldsmobile >>
Aurora MSRP: $ 36953.00

The Aurora is powered by a 4.0-liter V-8 with 250 hp and a 4-speed automatic. ABS is standard.

dismay

June 26, 2008

Price Paid:  $11900.00 from Masters Pontiac GMC

2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

Summary:
I have had nothing but problems since I purchased a 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora in April of 2008. I test drove it before I bought it. I got home with it and before I pulled into the driveway I could hear a clicking noise when I turned the steering wheel. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was something in the steering and replaced a part that was made out of plastic, that should have been recalled but was because it wasn't considered a safety concern, with something metal. Oh did I mention when I took it back to be fixed at this time as soon as Pulled into the service area of the dealership the check engine light came on. At this time the car had around 58,000 miles on it. Found out the car needed two crank sensors and a catalytic converter. Picked the car up and still heard the clicking noise. My dad discovered it was coming from the struts. I took it back to the dealership found out it needed strut mounts. Why they didn't catch it before I will never understand. After getting the converter on the car I heard it making a revving noise and kept feeling like it was going to cut off which it eventually did a few weeks later. Took it back to the dealership it needed a intake boot. Why they didn't catch it when I complained about the problem the first time I don't know. They checked it and said they couldn't find anything at the time. And did I mention, it shakes around 60-65 miles per hour. The service department told me it was because it had flat spots in the tires from sitting. And that I may need to also rotate the tires. At first the dealership did fix the initial problems then I was stuck after that. I had to pay a deductible to get the boot on. I got the boot fixed on the car last tuesday now this friday a week later my back window on the car will not go up or stay up. I can pull it up by hand and when I push the switch it makes a popping/cracking noise. I called the dealership service department and they said it sounds like the window regulator and now I going to have to pay another deductible and it's only a week later. I'm very dissatified with my purchase. I thought I was going to a reputable car dealership. I could have went to one these side street dealerships for this and probably would have gotten a better car. The car looks very nice on the outside but it's sick on the inside. Nice smooth ride up to 59 mph. It's hard to believe that a car that could have cost as much as it did when it came out in 2003 can have this many problems in 2008. The car that I traded in, a 93 honda civic Ex, was better than this car. This car has discouraged me from ever wanting another American made car and I want to support me country but how can I when my country is not supporting me and giving me bad products. The dealership I bought the car from said they give their cars 150 point inspection. I don't see how my car could have even earned a point. I spoke with the salesman and he said he would talk to the general manager to see if they can trade the car out. I'm not holding out much hope but this is my second and my last American made car neither have been worth the money or the time. I hope this helps someone before they become a victim like me. But if you buy this car just know this "You must be rich". And you've been warned.

Ian Weinerman

April 5, 2005

Price Paid:  $15200.00 from Maroone Pembroke Pin

2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

Strengths:
Gas mileage, utilizes regular fuel, sleek styling, responsive gas pedal, great road feel, beautiful and comfortable interior, comes standard with all neede options.

Weaknesses:
Occasional gas pedal hesitation, occasional hesitation going into gear, current low resale value.

Summary:
The second Aurora I have ownwed, This vehicle is both luxuriuous and sporty. It is just plain fun to drive. It is a good size and very stylish. It is frugal way to own a sporty, well made vehicle. The small 8 cylinder is both responsive and good on gas (18 to 26 mpg). It can be purchaed relatively inexpensively.

Lincoln Continental, Mercury Grand Marquis l

hrmody

May 26, 2004

Price Paid:  $35000.00 from Ernie Swanson Glen B

2002 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0

Strengths:
can use regular gas, cool (unreliable) gizmos, sleek exterior design

Weaknesses:
poorly engineered car. steering rachety (wobbly).

Summary:
The worst car I have ever driven. Not enough power. Poor handling. Car periodically stops while driving. Paper from glove compartment goes into the duct work. Uncomfortable backseats that don't fit with the contour of the back. DON'T BUY THIS!!!

acura 3.2tl, olds cutlass supreme, chevy nova

November 24, 2003

Review 4 of 103 , from Raleigh,NC

Price Paid:  $18000.00 from North Carolina deale

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5

Strengths:
Design, Comfort, Excellent Engine 3.5 liter, Smooth Ride

Weaknesses:
Hard Edge to front bucket seats Universal Steering Joint Mechanism

Summary:
Finally, GM gets it right. I have driven my Aurora for over 2 years now and I have absolutely NO complaints. This is a well made car with an excellent engine, (I have the V-6 3.5 liter). The interior is well laid out and the car rides extremely smooth going down the interstate. The only complaint would be concerning the bucket seats, they have a hard edge to them and getting in and out of the car you feel the hard edge on the back side of your legs, but the seat itself is very comfortable. I did have one slight problem with the steering mechanism. The universal steering joint went bad and as you would turn corners or apply the brakes you could feel a knocking in the steering wheel. My previous car was and Oldsmobile Intrigue, and it too had the same steering problem. Other than that I have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS! The car now has over 22000 miles on it and I bought it used with 11,000 miles on it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Oldsmobile like the Intrigue and the Aurora. My father is now driving the Intrigue that I use to own and he says that it is the best driving car that he has ever owned. He compares it to his 1990 Nissan Maxima that also gave absolutely NO problems. If the foreign auto makers wanted excellent competition, then GM got it right with the Oldsmobile Aurora. By the way I would like to say that both the Aurora and the Intrigue have the 3.5 liter engine in both of them. This is an excellent engine and was probably the deciding factor as to why I chose to by the Aurora. Since I had NO problems with the Intrigue's 3.5 liter engine, then I felt that purchasing the Aurora with the same engine would give me the same excellent results. I was not dissappointed. Just regular maintenance of oil changes, oil filter changes, air filter changes and that's all this car needs. I purchased the car for $18,000.00 at a Chevrolet dealership in Kenly North Carolina as a used automobile, and it only had 11,000 miles on the car. I read all the reviews at CarReview.com before finding the vehicle on the internet. All other dealerships wanted the same car with 3 times the mileage for prices ranging from $26,000 to $30,000. Overall I am very pleased. Thanks to CarReview.com for allowing car buyers like me to put my info on the web so that other vehicle buyers don't get stuck with lemons. We use to own a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan that was nothing but a lemon. I will never go back to Dodge again, and I have found that by using CarReview.com I can read the reviews of other satisfied car owners and look for any trends in the dissatisfied owners who write reviews. Once I sold my Dodge Grand Caravan I looked up on the web all of the reviews about Dodge Grand Caravans, and all of the other owners were having the exact same problems with their Dodge minivan that I was having. Had I known then what I know now about reading these reviews from satisfied and dissatisfied owners, I could have avoided purchasing the Dodge Grand Caravan, and I bought that minivan brand new. Good Luck Mercedes in converting Chrysler into a better product because once stung, you never go back, or at least I don't. Their is no excuse for putting a product on the market that is junk especially when you consider how much money a vehicle costs today! Believe me when I say that their will be NO more car purchases without first reading CarReview.com. Hearing complaints from previous car owners is the best way to purchase a good reliable vehicle and avoid the lemons.

1990 Nissan Maxima

David B

October 30, 2007

Price Paid:  $18000.00 from Dealership in 2002

2001 Olds/Aurora

Strengths:
Smooth ride.

Weaknesses:
Already mentioned.

Summary:
Steering has a knock in it, this is a common problem that is well documented in the dealerships. The right rear window regulator that controls the glass going up and down broke after 36,000 miles. The car developed a leak in the driver's floor, and it appears to come from the rubber plugs located between the wipers and the hood. Had to air out the car to prevent mold from forming. So far, I would give this car a score of 2 on a scale of 1 to 5. Sorry America, but I just bought a Honda Civic, and not one problem! I will not be buying any more American cars. General Motors still has a long way to go before they can compete with the likes of Honda! And just think, the American Car Union employee works for around $70.00 and hour including all benefits, and the Honda employee works for around $40.00 and hour including benefits. Years ago, I felt that buying American was my patriotic duty, but no more! It will be Japanese cars from now on, simply put the quality of the product is clearly inferior! This Aurora was suppose to be the top of the line luxury vehicle for Oldsmobile, but clearly GM doesn't understand that you dont' build crap for a luxury automobile! If the CEO of GM wants to contact me I'll be glad to define for him how to build a better product!

Pontiac Bonneville which was worse than this Olds.