2011 Saab 9-5

More products from Saab >>
9-5 MSRP: $ 38895.00 - $ 38895.00

The redesigned 2011 Saab 9-5 is a 4-door, 5-passenger luxury sports sedan, available in 4 trims, ranging from the Turbo4 to the Aero XWD.

The Turbo4 is equipped with a standard 2.0-liter, I4, 220-horsepower, turbo engine. The Aero XWD is equipped with a standard 2.8-liter, V6, 300-horsepower, turbo engine that achieves 17-mpg in the city and 27-mpg on the highway.

Video of the new Saab 9-5 SportCombi

Robert Aronin

October 24, 1999

More than 2 years

Review 1 of 123 , from Laguna Beach, CA

pre 1997 covertible

Strengths:
handling, style, interior room, controls, automatic covertible top, manufacturer's service support

Weaknesses:
plastic knobs and support tend to fall off

Summary:
(pre 1997 Model) - This is a car to fall in love with --- stylish, agile, peppy, loads of fun to drive. No major repairs required.

Mark Simpson

May 30, 2007

Price Paid:  $36150.00 from Gary Blake Saab

2007 60th Aniversary 9-5 Aero Sport Wagon

Strengths:
Good fuel economy, many accessories standard, handles great, nice cockpit layout, interior comfort.

Weaknesses:
Lacking cup holders, annoying rattle behind instrument panel, molded mud guards not available.

Summary:
I went from a large SUV to the 2007 9-5 Aero Sport Wagon roughly four weeks ago. Great decision on my part. I thoroughly checked out all the so-called competition and I felt the Saab wagon 9-5 won hands down. The lower cost vehicles just didn't compare and the higher cost vehicles didn't have anywhere near enough added value in oder to justify the substantial extra cost. One might say that all-wheel-drive is a must, but I find the front wheel drive is just fine and you benefit from added gas mileage as well. I'm extremely pleased with the car overall. I don't live at the gas station anymore. The comfort is great and it handles like a sports car. The cargo area is bigger than anything in it's class with extra storage under the cargo floor. The only two minor things I have to complain about, is the lack of front area usable cup holders and an annoying rattle behind the instrument panel. I haven't owned the vehicle long enough in oder to comment about maintenance. I personally recommend the Aero version over that of the basic; much sportier. As a personal observation; the navigation system offered by Saab and it's competition is a complete rip-off unless you have money to burn; you're way ahead of the game just to purchase a portable GPS separately.

BMW, Audi, Volvo, Jaguar, Mercedes

M Simpson

May 13, 2007

Price Paid:  $35855.00 from Gary Blake Saab

2007 9-5 Aero Sport Wagon

Weaknesses:

Summary:
I went from a large SUV to the 2007 9-5 Aero Sport Wagon roughly four weeks ago. Great decision on my part. I thoroughly checked out all the so-called competition and I felt the Saab wagon 9-5 won hands down. The lower cost vehicles just didn't compare and the higher cost vehicles didn't have anywhere near enough added value in order to justify the substantial extra cost. One might say that all-wheel-drive is a must, but I find the front wheel drive is just fine and you benefit from added gas mileage as well. I'm extremely pleased with the car overall. I don't live at the gas station anymore. The comfort is great and it handles like a sports car. The cargo area is bigger than anything in it's class with extra storage under the cargo floor. The only two minor things I have to complain about, is the lack of front area usable cup holders and an annoying rattle behind the instrument panel. I haven't owned the vehicle long enough in oder to comment about maintenance. I personally recommend the Aero version over that of the basic; much sportier. As a personal observation; the navigation system offered by Saab and it's competition is a complete rip-off unless you have money to burn; you're way ahead of the game just to purchase a portable GPS separately.

BMW,Audi,Volvo

Edward Viceroy

June 14, 2006

Price Paid:  $47000.00 from Pickering Saab

2006 Saab 95 Sport Combi

Strengths:
-Great looks, aggressive styling.
-Pirrelli tires on really nice aluminum rims.
Refrigerated glove compartment for drinks (How cool is that?)
Superb handling
Great gas mileage

Weaknesses:
Light cheap feel when closing doors, especially the back hatch. (You gotta slam it to close it)
Sun roof a little tricky to close just right.

Summary:
My first Saab. I think there will be more in my future. This car replaced a Mercedes 230. I truly loved the Mercedes, but I need something larger. I no longer miss it though.
The Sport Combi is a hard one to peg. The power is awesome. Hold on to the wheel, take a deep breath, and brace yourself before you stomp the gas pedal. The traditional "turbo-lag" is minimal, but still there.
The comfort has a Mercedes feel...almost.The seats are great, but the doors scream "I came from General Motors!")
The handling? I drove this thing from Canada to Florida through the mountains of Virginia. My wife said it was a a little scarey to see the goofy wide eyed grin on my face from morning till night. She was also quite annoyed with me for never letting her have a turn at driving this beauty.
The redesign of the body is attractive.. for a 'Station-wagon'. No manufacturer is gonna get caught calling one of their vehicles a 'station-wagon'.
It seems now a days that's the Marketing kiss of death for sales. However if it looks like a duck, I call it a duck.
I am truly enjoying the number of compliments and comments from people, everytime I am beside the car. I thought it looked great for a 'Station-wagon', from the start, but I thought it was just me. The compliments and head turns from the Twenty and Thirty-sometings really freaked me out in the beginning.
After four months and 14,000 kilometres, the honey moon is still on. No problems to report whatsover,..so far.
Love the roomy storage that the back end offers. It suits my life style for hauling stuff. Thoughtful tie-downs are a nice touch. Love the coffee cup holder. I thought my Mercedes had first prize for cool design, but Saab must have spent a fortune coming up with this thing. Just try and not play with it during the first few weeks of ownership.
The interior is nicely finished with Two-tone saddle-stiched leather seats. (option)

Mercedes C230 Kompressor
Saab 93 (borrowed frequently)

jimazee

January 9, 2007

Price Paid:  $38000.00 from New London CT Saab

2005 9-5 Aero Wagon

Strengths:
Great turbo-4 / 5 speed auto. Roomy interior with comfy seats. Looks great (to me...also get regular compliments from strangers). Economical gas mileage.

Weaknesses:
Some dumb on-board computer functions. Meager casual storage in cockpit for such a large car. AWD might be better than the FWD which is pretty good.

Summary:
Great car, especially if you like something different. It is quick, economical, sporty, comfortable, attractive, unique, fun.

Bought it new after selling a 92 9000s - 4 cyl. with 155k miles on it that I bought new. I have driven the 2005 31k miles in 18 months. So far the only problem is a horn that doesn't work on one of the four steering wheel quadrants.

The car easily gets 30+ mpg on highways at 70+ mph in sporty comfort with loads of stuff in the back. Carries 5 adults comfortably. Happy that I don't have an SUV.

Sad that Saab dropped the four. I hope the upcoming redesign doesn't destroy the character.

Saab 9000s, BMW 535i, BMW 325i, Audi A4