Volvo S40

More products from Volvo >>
S40 MSRP: $ 27750.00

The Volvo S40 is a 4-door, 5-passenger sports sedan, available in two trims, the T5 and the T5 R-Design.

Both trims are equipped with a standard 2.5-liter, I5, 227-horsepower, turbo engine that achieves 21-mpg in the city and 30-mpg on the highway. A 5-speed automatic transmission is standard.

Amuro

July 24, 2008

2007 s40

Summary:
Nice compact & solid swedish car
I like all but passenger side seat has manual control. I like all rain sensor and speed sense audio, weather package etc
I like unique 5 cylinder - only odd number
I loved speed once but now i need safety and saving without autoban

prgeyer

August 29, 2007

Price Paid:  $33000.00 from Beyer Volvo, Falls C

2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD

Strengths:
Good acceleration and handling
Loaded with many standard options
All-wheel drive

Weaknesses:
Questionable initial quality
Limited cabin storage
Lousy city gas mileage

Summary:
Overall, this is an attractive and fun to own vehicle. With the T5 engine and AWD, acceleration and handling are very good. Winter driving was secure, backed up by excellent safety features.

Unfortunately, this vehicle also came with a number of quality problems right off the assembly line. The left-rear stereo speaker has had an annoying buzz that the dealership can't trace. Also, as others have mentioned, the A/C system made a weird hooting noise, which the dealership has been able to resolve.

While highway gas mileage is quite good, city mileage is dismal.

Storage is extremely limited, although the space behind the floating center console is handy. Despite an extremely small opening, the trunk is surprisingly large.

All in all, I don't know if I would purchase this same car again. Poor service at the dealership may have something to do with this. I don't regret my purchase. I just don't have the same warm feeling about this car that I've had about others I've purchased in the past.

Audi A6
VW Cabrio

pmmargo

September 16, 2006

Price Paid:  $31000.00 from HERB GORDON -silver

2006 volvo s40T

Strengths:
Powerful engine...T5 is nice

Weaknesses:
Bad quality and Volvo lacks proper attitude.
I will have to pursue lemon law officially with them...They lack class, when I requested a refund.

Summary:
Annoying Owl Sounds. Still waiting on "computer software fix"
Problems with fuel pressure gauge and clock resets itself. Annoying nonlinear acceleration.
Volvo does not support their products...do not buy from them.

I owned a 740 and a 960.

Never again! This will be my last Volvo!
Advise you to pass Volvo by.

Natalya Sabga

August 25, 2006

Price Paid:  $0.00 from -

2006 Volvo S40

Strengths:
Size, performance

Weaknesses:
BLIND SPOTS. I have to fault Volvo for a BIG BOO BOO with the S40- blind spots. These have caused me one full accident and one near miss. The blind spots are dangerous and prevent me from recommending this car to others.

Summary:
I absolutely love my new Volvo S40. I drove an S70 for 8 years, and not only was it a high maintenance car, but also highly maintained! The S40 is no different, although the exterior seems easier to clean and keep clean.

Amin

April 7, 2004

Price Paid:  $21900.00 from Dealership

2004 Volvo S40

Strengths:
-Leather Seats/Comfort -Handling -Acceleration

Weaknesses:
-Audio -Speaker rattling (silent w/ audio off) -Lack of features

Summary:
Previously to this car I had driven a 2001 Toyota Camry Collectors Edition (similar to the XLE). This was a great car but was totalled in a hit and run by an unlicensed driver. Recently I decided to purchase this Volvo due to the fact that the 2004.5 model was coming out and I could get a great deal. And I did for the most part. I bought a 2004 Volvo S40 LSE. However, since I've had it, it's had some minor problems. Despite that scratches it has taken within it's first month (some quite deep), and it's blemishs which have kept me awake some nights, there are other issues to take note of. First off the audio system sucks. The one in the camry was much better. I have the upgraded premium audio (HU-555 w/ upgraded speakers). While the audio is decent, upon first driving the car I noticed that the right passenger speaker has issues with rattling. I made sure it was the speaker because as soon as I grabbed hold of the door, the rattling stopped due to the door's stabilization. A relativley minor problem, you might say. Then there is the issue of a "scraping" sound when I take dips. I take great care of my car and take dips at EXTREMELY slow speeds. However, there is an apparent scratching like noise at certain angles that the turn/dip is being taken at. I've heard this sound just driving on the 91 fwy with no major bumps at all. The car's drive magnificantly for a fwd vehcile. In comparison with other fwd drive cars I've driven, this by far takes the cake. It's four cylinder turbo is much smoother than my V6 camry ever was. It provide a nice little kick that shows it's more than just a family sedan. Handling is quite surprising as well. I've heard many reviewers saying that the handling on this vehicle is subpar, I can assure you that this is not the case at all. I've taken it through rough, rough corners at above 50mph, and for a four door sedan to accompish these kinds of performance manuevers, specially within this price range, proves that it definetly is a contender. Where this vehicle falls short is in it's features. In terms of audio and other features such as a compass, disc changer, homelink, navigation, this car falls short to competitors in it's range such as the ES330, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Mazda 6. It also lacks some of the features found in other near-luxury cars such as the Mercedes C230 and BMW 325i. However the leather seating is amongst the best I've ever sat in. Very, very comfortable seating. The audio is horrible, I recommend replacing the 6 speaker "premium" with something better. It's a joke, really for that kind of system to be in this kind of car. As far as drive is concerned, the S40 whoops all non-luxury competitors such as Toyota (Lexus ES330 as well), Nissan, and Mazda. I also believe it edges out the C230 sedan in terms of performance and is more along the lines of a BMW 325i, again which is fantastic when viewing it as a FWD sedan. The car does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds which is comparable to the C230(7.5) and 325i(7.3). I would give this car a 8/10 in comparison to others in it's class and a 9/10 in comparison to it's price value.

I have driven a 1997 Mercedes S430, 2001 Toyota Camry, 2003 Accord Coupe, 2003 Nissan Maxima, 2003 Toyota Corolla, 2003 BMW325i, 2002 Mercedes S500, 2001 Audi A4, 1993 Bently Arnage, 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass.