Volvo S70

More products from Volvo >>
S70 MSRP: $

When 1996 was coming to an end, a new Volvo model was introduced, the Volvo S70.

The Volvo S70 was developed from the successful 850 models, which had been on the market since 1991.

The exterior of the new S70 showed softer styling than its predecessor, but still carryied a strong Volvo identity. Inside the car, the dashboard was new as was most of the interior. In the area of safety a number of improvements were made.

The Volvo S70 was produced until 2000.

Cabotc

December 1, 2002

Review 1 of 77 , from Concord, Ma

Price Paid:  $40000.00 from Palm Beach Volvo

2000 S70

Strengths:
Quality Safety/Style Luxury Factor Service/Support Speed/Braking Fun to drive factor Realiability

Weaknesses:
Brake dust accumulates quickly Front cupholders are small

Summary:
I LOVE this car. Everything about my S70 is great, from its looks, to its engine. Its everything you would expect in a luxury car. The Swedish really know how to make a good car. In Sport Mode, you get rocketed onto the highway and can stop just as fast. Ice and snow are no problem. You can drive up a steep icy driveway with no worries while you sit in premium heated leather seats, listening to a CD comming out of 8 speakers. Where others cars of this class lag, the Volvo S70 soars. The BMW 540i is the competitor to the S70, and after totalling the 540i, I feel MUCH safer in the S70. I cannot give this car enough praise. Same goes for service and support. I have always had prompt and friendly service for oil changes and maintance. These cars are TANKS with superstar engines.

2001 BMW 540i 2000 Mercedes-Benz E320 1994 Volvo 850

mrs smith

December 1, 2001

Review 2 of 77 , from Germany

Price Paid:  $27100.00 from Volvo Hedtke in Weit

2000 S70

Strengths:
Beautiful car. We have an 2000 S70 fully loaded (leather seats, CD chngr, sunroof, etc). Most comfortable car we have ever owned. When it works, it''s a pure joy to drive. It makes traffic jams bearable!

Weaknesses:
Little things break on it continuously. These little things cost big money after a while. The light bulbs are continuously blowing and we have to replace the bulbs. Not very reliable.

Summary:
We are Americans who live/work in Germany and we bought our Volvo over here. European cars don''t have 4 year warranties like they do in the states (Americans are SO lucky!), instead the standard is a one year warranty. Anyway, in the very beginning we had problems with the car but most of the problems were aesthetic. But after a few months the problems started mounting. I won''t go into all the aesethetic problems here, just the mechanical. Below are the items that needed repairing in the two years that we''ve owned the car. Most of these problems we had to pay out of pocket, because it happened after our 1 year warranty expired: 1. Ignition switch broke 2. Electric Windows died 3. Heater blower quit blowing 4. Rotors replaced 5. Locking mechanism replaced 6. Strange high pitched engine noise (never remedied)

Not very similar products, but we had a Chevy S10 and a Honda Civic that didn''t give us the problems this car has given us. Our next car will probably be a japanese car again. I will never buy a Vo

Scott Dubinsky

November 7, 2001

Review 3 of 77 , from EA,NY,USA

2000 S70 SE

Strengths:
Safety Rock solid ride and drive Great looking Fit and Finish

Weaknesses:
I do not love the local servicing dealer

Summary:
This model continues the 240 legacy. Rock solid feel strong acceleration great fuel economy. These are more Euro like than anything Japan is turning out. Far nicer feel and easier to love than the numb Japanese competitors. This car is for the Euro set no question, it is a throwback to its roots and is the last of the real Volvo''s. The new S80s are really to Ford like to be taken seriously.

MB

Steve Smith

August 4, 2001

1 to 3 years

Review 4 of 77 , from Taipei, Taiwan from USA originally

2000 S70 T5

Strengths:
Exceptional Turbo Speed on Highways, VERY FAST. Most comfortable seats on any car any make or model. Ample room, more than the BMW 5 series, or most all Japanese cars. Big on the inside, small on the outside.

Weaknesses:
Some Turbo Lag in the city

Summary:
Excellent car. A little tight in the suspension but advantages at highway speeds and cornering. Sometimes bumpy on rough city roads at low speeds. When the Turbo kicks in on the highways, you can feel the Gs it puts you back in your seat. Sometimes when you catch the timing just right, it will shoot off like a rocket. Smooth quiet ride at any speed. Not the best for city driving due to Turbo lag, that is, if you want to race down highway streets cutting in and out like a little Honda Civic, it doesn't work. Excellent breaks!

BMW 520, Saab 9-5, VW Passat

Steve

November 25, 2000

1 to 3 years

Review 5 of 77 , from Atlanta

2000 Volvo S70 Base

Strengths:
The quality, safety and economical performance are great. Was very suprised at the high mileage in city driving. Atlanta traffic is worse than LA (know from experience) and that means a lot of sitting in traffic. This car has the best seats (heated in winter) that I have had the pleasure to sit in. I grew up in snow country and have never gotten used to the humid summers in the south, which means I rely on a very good air conditioning system. My S70 has an electronically controlled system that blows extremely cold air when needed and also allows for dual climate zones. The stereo is also the best of any vehicle I have owned, including a brand new Acura Legend back in the early 90's.

Weaknesses:
When the sunroof is open, it can get a little noisy.

Summary:
I know that older Volvo's have quite a reputation, some good, some bad but I can only speak from the newer product line perspective. I would highly recommend a 2000 Volvo or newer for anyone. Friends that have riden in my Volvo can't believe it is a Volvo. I have a neighbor that owned an older 240 and he was very impressed following a ride in my S70. I know that Volvo has redesigned the V70, S80 and are introducing a new S60 for 2001. My wife is so impressed with our S70 that she is considering trading her minivan in for a 2001 V70. I think Volvo cars will be in our family for a long time to come.

Acura, Toyota, Honda. The Volvo doesn't have the fit and finish of a Japanese vehicle however, the Volvo's safety features more than make up for that. I personally don't like the egg shape that just about every car manufacturer is now implementing and I find Volvo's new styling much more appealing, keeping more of a classical taste.