2011 Hyundai Elantra

More products from Hyundai >>
Elantra MSRP: $ 14945.00

Pros:
  • Stylish exterior
  • Superb fuel economy
  • More than just a daily commuter car
  • Well laid out cabin with lots of soft-touch surfaces
  • Generous-size trunk
  • Excellent value
  • 60,000 mile / 60 month warranty
Cons:
  • Backseat not friendly to tall people
  • Ultra-light steering response
Ruling: The Hyundai Elantra goes beyond being a daily commuter car with its eye-catching styling and functional cabin that is comfortable and outfitted with high-tech gadgets. The value proposition gets even better with its 60k/5 year warranty and fewer trips to the pump.

The Hyundai Elantra was completely redesigned for 2011 with great performance, excellent fuel economy numbers, impressive features, and attractive styling. The Elantra is no longer overshadowed by the Ford Fiesta, Honda Civic, Chevrolet Cruze, or Mazda 3.

The 2011 Hyundai Elantra is available in two trims. The $14,830 base GLS model comes with a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic is optional. The Limited trim starts at $19,980 and comes with the automatic transmission. Elantra mpg fuel economy ratings are 29 city / 40 highway.

Earthbound

March 27, 2011

Price Paid:  $17980.00 from Dublin, CA

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Strengths:
Great handling, very stylish and surprisingly spacious for such a small car!

Weaknesses:
mpg far less than advertised. What were they thinking?!!! 29/40? Yeh, right! Shame on you Hyundai for false advertising!

Summary:
When I first heard that the 2011 Elantra gets 29/40 mpg, I was quite pleased. After test driving the 2011 Civic,Corolla and Elantra, I decided to go with the Elantra. Although I really liked the tight handling of the Elantra (it drives like a German car), the stylishness and the great features of the interior, what ultimately sold me on the Elantra was the advertised 29/40 mpg. I have now driven three tanks of gas, averaging only 31 to 32 mpg with 90% freeway driving (60-65 mph) and 10% city driving. Eventhough, it is a lot better than the 2007 Buick Lucern I traded in (20-21 mpg), I am hugely disappointed. I am very easy on the gas and use the cruise control as much as possible, but to me, the discrepancy in mpg is huge. At best, I get 34 mpg on the freeway and 24 or so in the city. I feel cheated and lied to, although I still really like everything else about this car. I guess I am just so perplexed as to how in the world these car manufacturers can get away with such bold-face lies!