2011 Kia Optima

More products from Kia >>
Optima MSRP: $ 26500.00

Pros:
  • Strong and fuel efficient engines
  • Much improved interior design and quality
  • Lots of standard equipment makes it a strong value/li>
  • Impressive safety scores
  • 60 month/60k mile warranty
Cons:
  • Detached feel from steering response
  • Low profile compromises headroom
Ruling: Kia has a strong reputation for value and the Optima is attractive on many counts to capture the buyers willing to take a risk. The Optima's long list of options and lengthy warranty should make it a compelling choice for those who want a sedan that won't get lost in the four-door crowd.

Now in its third generation, the 2011 Kia Optima features an all-new crisp and modern design that distinguishes it from the rest of the cars in its class.

Under the skin, the Optima uses the same platform as the 201 Hyundai Sonata. The cars share nearly identical dimensions: they both have a 110-inch wheelbase, and the Optima is just an inch longer overall than the Sonata.

The new Optima offers a choice of three powertrains, including a hybrid. The first to arrive will be a 200-hp, 2.4-liter, direct-fuel-injected, four-cylinder engine, paired with a six-speed transmission (manual or automatic, take your pick). Whether you choose manual or automatic, the Optima will return an impressive 24 mpg city and 34 mpg highway.

The second Optima powertrain option offered is a 274-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that's an option in the Sonata. That powerhouse will be joined exclusively to a six-speed automatic transmission and provide 22 mpg city and a rather astounding 34 mpg highway.

The hybrid Optima will debut in early 2011.

CarReview's opinion of the 2011 Kia Optima

Likes:
  • Feature and amenity laden
  • Smooth design aesthetics
  • Peppy 2.4L 4 cylinder motor
  • Sporty handling suspension
Dislikes:
  • A few oddly placed function buttons
  • Narrow trunk pass through
  • Awkward blind spots
  • Light steering feel

Verdict: The Kia Optima is in fact, not your average midsized sedan. In retrospect, I found the car to be much more than I expected it to be. Never when I drove it did I feel like I was driving anything but both a sporty AND luxurious car. I found myself using the navigation, heated seats, and heated steering wheel every time I was in it. In fact, on one blustery, rainy day, I sat in the car a little bit longer just to enjoy the warmth. These features are common among higher end cars, but at this price point, it makes the car stand just a bit taller than the rest of its peers.

At the end of the day, though the car didn’t quite evoke the same passion and verve that I would expect from a sporty Lexus, it did place an exclamation mark by its name when compared to other more average sedans on the market.

Read the full review >>

Kathryn

February 11, 2014

Price Paid:  $20000.00 from Archer KIA - Houston

2011 KIA Optima SV Turbo

Strengths:
Looks. Style. Turbo is FAST! Braking. Heated/cooled seats. A/C in the rear seats. Stereo. Dual moonroofs. Dual 12 volt access to charge cell phones. Cooled glove box. Too many to mention. Way out does the competitors! I shopped them all!!!

Weaknesses:
None that I can find and I've owned a number of cars previously.

Summary:
I wanted this car as soon as it came out. I read review after review for 2 years before I purchased it. Bought it in Nov. 2012 and am so glad I did. It out performs my wildest dreams. It's a turbo and is the FASTEST car I've ever had and I do like fast cars. It's spicy red. Since I purchased it preowned, I saved about $15,000.00! Wow! I went to buy a new one and realized how much more I could get in preowned. Dual moon roof is awesome. Heated/cooled seats are wonderful! The stereo is incredible. Did I mention how fast it is... Stopping in a hurry is incredible. Seats are so comfy. It's absolutely the car of my dreams (with a budget) and rivals the Lexus which is ridiculously expensive. Why pay more? So gald I bought it! It is made in S. Korea and so was my last car. Last car was best car I ever owned so far. It NEVER EVER broke down or left me stranded. Koreans do it right and I am an American and would prefer to by American however, the history of GM and other American car manufacturers leave a lot to be desired. Would never by American again till they get their act together..