2009 Mercury Tracer

More products from Mercury >>
Tracer MSRP: $ 12000.00

The Tracer is offered as a four-door sedan or a four-door wagon. It's powered by a 2.0-liter/110-hp 4 cylinder with a choice of a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic. ABS is optional.

C. Campbell

October 3, 2006

Price Paid:  $3800.00 from Roberts Nissan

1999 Mercury Tracer

Strengths:
good gas mileage

Weaknesses:
heater core apparently causing overheating.

Summary:
My car was used to begin with and had over 100,000 miles on it due to it being a rental car in Florida in the past and it had at least one other owner before me (according to a CarFax report). The past owners didn't keep it up very well. It needed considerable work when I bought it. (Yes, I realize I overpaid for it. I was a little too desperate for a car at the time.) After driving it for about a year I noticed it was overheating and when pressure tested it showed no leaks and the mechanic said the head gasket didn't seem to be the problem so we replaced the thermostat and cleaned out the radiator, which was clogged from the overheating, and that still didn't fix it. Now they are in the process of replacing the water pump which I wouldn't have had them do after reading the reviews on this Website just now. Now I would bet it's heater core causing the drop in coolant like those other two reviewers' cars. I don't think I will put any more money in this car after this based on other things I've read on here. Such as the engine head possibly cracking from all of the overheating and people experiencing it falling apart after 10 years of age. Also it sounds like it will inevitably start shaking eventually. Luckily my mechanic said that if replacing the water pump doesn't do the trick that he will not charge me the labor. I don't think I could try to sell it to anyone and keep a clear conscience. I guess I'll just use it as a trade in.

'98 Plymouth Neon

unnamed

May 7, 2006

Price Paid:  $4142.00 from Millville Auto Sales

1999 Tracer LS/Sport

Strengths:
Affordable, Great gas mileage, nice looking

Weaknesses:
small back seats, uncomfortable for large people, some what loud.

Summary:
First car,Very, very good little car, is a salvage car. Stared in the cold Iowa winters, good for a little car in snow.
Great for teens.N

Family had 1997 Tracer 1997-2001

bethjt

August 6, 2003

Price Paid:  $13000.00 from Dick Edwards, KS

1999 Mercury Tracer

Strengths:
Reliable, good MPG, comfortable, durable interior (love the leather wrapped steering wheel), attractive tan interior, curvy exterior, smooth ride, smooth shifting

Weaknesses:
Never wanted to own an Escort and this looks just like one, badly placed antenna, doesn't have power windows, doesn't have LATCH

Summary:
We bought our Tracer new in Sep of '99. It was the last one on the lot for that year and they wanted to get rid of it. (Price above includes TTL.) In the four years we've had it we have never had to take it in for repairs. Regular maintenance and new tires is all we've done. Just recently we noticed a rattle in the back left. It turns out to be the fender above the back left tire is loose because the screw has come loose. We tightened the screw, but it loosens again. Not a big deal, its not even a loud rattle and only happens when idling. We added a CD changer to the trunk. If you do this, don't mount it in the middle at the top of the trunk opening. The dumb installer did this with ours and it makes it a real pain in the butt to get large items in and out. Speaking of the trunk, it is quite large for the size of car. I can fit our bulky travel system stroller in it and still have room for groceries. I do wish it had the latch system for the baby's carseat, but that didn't come out until 2000 I don't think. We just paid our Tracer off and my husband is going to keep it as our second car since it has been so reliable. (We're in the middle of ordering an SUV...the Tracer wasn't exactly a beast in the snow!) One thing I don't like is the antenna that comes out above the door. Looks cheesy plus I caught it on our garage door so now its all bent to hell. (oopsy) Overall I really liked driving the Tracer, it was comfy and reliable. But its time to move on!

'93 Grand Am, '95 Neon

Rene

July 23, 2003

Price Paid:  $16000.00 from Dearborn Ford

1999 Tracer Wagon

Strengths:
Very reliable even with 100K miles. Excellent paint and trim quality. Mine is the tracer sport-wagon with 15 inch wheels. 30MPG average highway/city.

Weaknesses:
It is not a race car, freeway on-ramps can be a challenge to get up to speed. No real weaknesses, going to hate to give up this car.

Summary:
Why did Ford quit making this car? It has over 100k miles and has never had a recall or been back to the dealership for repairs. I have owned lots of cars/trucks but none compare to this one. Oil changes and brakes are all it has needed since I bought it 4 years ago.

Grand Marquis, Olds98, Chevy s-10, Plymouth Reliant, Jeep.

arjun arya

December 6, 2002

Review 5 of 48 , from Dallas,Tx

Price Paid:  $10000.00 from used card dealer, Da

Strengths:
good mileage( not great as others claim). I get 25-27 mpg in the city and may be 28-30 on highway.) .good for parking in small places. nice curvy shape. easy to clean.good braking / good AC.

Weaknesses:
vibrates a bit more than japanese compact cars( but then those are 5 K more expensive for same age). I had to change the alternator at 34K, and 3.5 years.( car life)

Summary:
i got this car in Dec 99 when it was 6 months old with 6K miles on it. It was a steal as it had lost almost 4K from the brand new price. its a nice car to drive / good power for its type.

toyota corolla/ nissan sentra/mazda protege