2009 Mitsubishi Diamante

More products from Mitsubishi >>
Diamante MSRP: $ 27669.00

The Diamante is offered as a four door sedan with a 3.5-liter/210-hp SOHC V-6. It comes standard with a 4-speed automatic and ABS is optional.

Bill Gerstenmaier

September 20, 1999

More than 2 years

Review 1 of 102 , from NYC

pre 1997 Mitsubishi Diamante Wagon

Strengths:
Reliable, comfortable, solid

Weaknesses:
Brakes, fuel pump, electric windows

Summary:
(pre 1997 Model) - I think this model (the wagon) is Mitsubishi's knock-off of an Audi. Bought it from a dealer in Md. It was coming off a Budget Renta-a-Car leaase, so I got it for $15K w/13K miles and drivetrain warranty until 2001! Strong engine, solid car, luxurious for it's class. Very few made (in Australia, no less!) so not high on car-thieves' list, thus low insurance. Strangely, the front brake rotors have had to be retrimmed twice and need it again; they keep warping (may be an overtightening from an earlier servicing and so just this car) Needed a new battery last year and new fuel pump 3/99. Otherwise, a great car and great value! Too bad they stopped making the wagon.

Wolfgang Von Kempelen

July 7, 2004

Price Paid:  $18000.00 from CarMax

2003 Diamante LS

Strengths:
Quite Interior, Smooth Engine, Interior Appointments, Price, Exterior Sytle.

Weaknesses:
Seat bottom could be deeper for taller drivers.

Summary:
On the night of July 6, 2004, I purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante LS with 12,000 miles. It is black with tan leather interior. The car is in immaculate condition. It possesses almost every conceivable luxury, sunroof, automatic climate control, heated seats, traction control, outside temperature, wood, leather, CD player, antilock brakes, rear seat center arm rest, garage door opener, power driver and passenger seats, seat memory… The features that I was looking for in a new car (ranked in order of importance): 1. Quiet, rattle free, luxury interior. 2. Smooth, powerful, quiet 6-cylinder engine. 3. Attractive body. 4. Good vehicle quality, inexpensive to repair. 5. 1-2 year old car with low mileage for approximately $20,000. As I drove to work this morning, I marveled at the quite interior and smooth ride. While I am a smooth, conservative driver, I could not help testing the Diamante’s power. To borrow a term coined by Rolls Royce engineers, this car possesses “waftability”, that is, strong, silent, graceful acceleration. As I merged onto the highway, the anxious Benz that was crowding my bumper faded in the rear view mirror. The engine seems smoother than some of the other cars that I considered, including Acura, BMW, and Audi. The other engines were loud and buzzy in comparison. While the Nissan Maxima possessed a very smooth and potent V6, ultimately the Maxima’s stark, plain, sporty interior could not compete with the Diamante’s more upscale, civilized cabin. I really love the wood accents in the Diamante. The Audi has by far the nicest interior of any car in this luxury class. However, like the other cars in this class (Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Mercedes, Audi-A4, Volkswagon-Passat), the Audi was priced several thousand dollars more than the 1-year old Diamante. Ultimately, I paid $18,000 for the Diamante, which was about $6,000 less than my other serious consideration, a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro with 40K. While I liked the A4’s interior and exterior styling far more, the Audi’s expensive repair costs and significantly higher price made the Diamante an easy choice. I read every Diamante review that I could find from individuals and auto magazines. The reviews by owners were very helpful with regard to how much of a bargain this car is on the used car market. I can’t believe they cost less than some Accords, Camrys, and Maximas. The Diamante is undoubtedly a superior vehicle. A couple of the auto magazine reviews gave me some apprehension regarding the Diamante’s performance. In particular, they mentioned body roll while cornering and nose-dive under hard braking. My concerns were quickly dispelled after driving the Diamante. I drove around an exit ramp at a high rate of speed and felt virtually no body-lean. Additionally, I braked relatively hard at a traffic light and did not experience nose-dive. Unless you drive your Diamante like some maniac working for an automotive magazine, the car handles very satisfyingly. In fact, the handling is far superior to my old, sporty, two-door coupe. The most important aspect of car for me is comfortable seating in a quite rattle free interior that is well appointed with wood/leather. I found the interior to be very quiet, with very good insulation from road noise. There are no rattles in this car. The seating is adequately comfortable for my 6 foot 3 inch body. In respect for the Diamante’s Australian origin, my first musical experience had to be an Australian musician. Admittedly, my collection of Aussie music on CD is quite limited to only “Men at Work”, “Frente”, and “ABBA”. I choose the 1996 Men At Word song “Down Under”. I had a huge smile as I sang the following words during my first morning commute: Traveling in a fried-out combie On a hippie trail, head full of zombie I met a strange lady, she made me nervous She took me in and gave me breakfast And she said, "Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover I can’t wait for my ride home, enjoying some “Frente” in my luxury sedan. Perhaps I may even be tempted to experience more “waftability”.

Audi A4, Nissan Altima, Nissan Maxima, Acura TL

supersport

July 8, 2004

Price Paid:  $10900.00 from used car

2002 Diamante ES

Strengths:
used price, power, size, looks

Weaknesses:
handling, although this is a 4400 pound vehicle.

Summary:
After only driving Hondas for the last 15 years I am thrilled with the Diamante. Fast, quiet, power everything, smooth and looks good. Never heard of it before and I was a little apprehensive. After driving the vehicle to work for a week I would not give it up. Not a good buy new but a great car for the money if you can pick one up used.

civic, oddy

Steve

February 2, 2003

Price Paid:  $19900.00 from Madson Mitsubishi

2002 Diamonte VR-X

Strengths:
Good acceleration and handling. I like the sporty look of the VR-X as compared to the LS.

Weaknesses:
No heated seats.

Summary:
The VR-X with the sunroof and 210 watt stereo has all the features I want and it's fun to drive.

My most recent car was a 1997 Lexus ES300 and a Diamonte LS prior to that. I prefer the Diamonte VR-X.

Victoria

August 14, 2007

2002 Mitsubishi Diamante LS

Strengths:
Beautiful car

Weaknesses:
Have had to change the altinater not long after purchase
The oxygen sensors repeatedly go out
The transmission has a mind of it's own
The windows suck; I hear the wind through the back windows.
Paint job is horrible
Had to repalce the intake valves
For some reason, the car will die in reverse and no one can seem to figure out why!
My air conditioner also has a mind of it's own, sometimes it will change the fan speed on it's own.
My check engine light comes one for no reasons (I think it's shorted out)
My brake lights come on when transmission changes gears.

Summary:
In the beginning, this car was great, but it all went down hill after I had my first problem. I will NEVER buy a Mitsubishi again. Don't be fooled by it's looks