2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse

More products from Mitsubishi >>
Eclipse MSRP: $ 25699.00 - $ 28599.00

The Eclipse is a 2-door, 4-passenger family coupe, or sports coupe, available in 3 trims, ranging from the GS to the GT.

The GS is equipped with a standard 2.4-liter, I4, 162-horsepower engine that achieves 20-mpg in the city and 28-mpg on the highway. The GT is equipped with a standard 3.8-liter, V6, 265-horsepower engine that achieves 16-mpg in the city and 24-mpg on the highway.

kaymobile

January 10, 2011

2009 GS Sport

Strengths:
FWD, cheap on gas, sporty

Weaknesses:
the only disadvantage is the back seat space, but its a coupe and the little back space and weight does pay off. besides i only worry about driving MYSELF to school.

Summary:
i honestly LOVE the mitsubishi eclipse and just recently bought a 2009 last summer. the eclipse is my second car for i have recked my first car (08 mustang). if i ever have both cars at hand i will choose the eclipse over the stang. its more reasonable at price, small so its quick to clean, and cheap on gas. it has that sporty look without the sporty price. most people dont like the eclipse but i love it because its unique and different and im the type of trend-settler who likes unique and different.just in my town alone every mile carries at least about 4 mustangs. but when i drive my baby she make people turn heads!some people even talk to me at gas stations begging to learn more about the eclipse. i am 16 and my parents feels more comfortable of me driving my new car for they dont have to worry about me speeding down the highways or nothing. but dont fool yourself the eclipse do have enough power to pass a couple of vehicles in a few seconds if necessary. secondly this car is a fwd so it can get me through all the bad weather for when i go to school, more dependable than the rwd mustang. this is the PERFECT car for a teenager. Parents you will not find anything better than this! unless you want your teen to ride around in a off balance mercury or something. ;) so go ahead and make plans in getting a new exotic mitsubishi eclipse you will be satisfied.

gdollar

August 6, 2008

Price Paid:  $28100.00 from Peruzzi Mitshubishi

2008 Eclipse GT

Strengths:
Power, price and design.

Weaknesses:
Need additional power socket and easy iPod connection.

Summary:
I’m not a dealer and I did buy this new Mitsubishi 2009 Eclipse GT Spyder and I strongly recommend it.

I set out to buy a Honda 2000, as I have owned Acuras since 1992 and still own a 2004 Acura TL, or a BMW M4 roadster. Mitsubishi hadn’t really crossed my mind and I suspect that’s a result of poor marketing by the manufacturer. Edmunds website alerted me to the vehicle and therefore I included it on the list and thank God I did. The Edmunds review gave it a fair review but didn’t mention or emphasize all the features of the vehicle. Suggesting that the rear seat is small on a roadster is a foolish comment, there are no good rear seats in roadsters at this price point but the Eclipse is certainly one of the better ones and, I quote from Edmunds, “However, while the 2009 Spyder's styling and power help set it apart, its practicality pales when compared with other four-seat convertibles.” And then suggests that you look at the Sebring! Does anyone looking for a roadster look at Sebrings?

There is no doubt if you want the most power, lowest price for a roadster then the Mustang is without doubt the best out there but living in NJ, where we get snow occasionally, I wanted front wheel drive and so the Mustang was not an option.

Here are my criteria that were met by the Eclipse. The Eclipse numbers are in paretheses.

1. It had to have decent horse power and that meant for me at least 250 HP. (265)
2. I wanted space enough for a golf bag in the trunk and possibly one behind the driver seats. (Both golf bags fit, one in the trunk and one in the back seat)
3. Safety, I wanted side air bags. (Eclipse has two)
4. Price was not an issue but value for money was. ($30,500 for this car is incredible)
5. Engine size was important as I wanted to keep this for a long time and figured that the bigger engine would be taxed less and last longer. (3.8 V6)
6. A/C had to be included. Driving on a hot rainy day in summer is no fun with the hood up and no A/C. (Included in the Eclipse)
7. A warranty that was as good as I could get. (5 years/60,000 mile bumper to bumper, 100,000 mile on drive train. That’s some warranty).
8. It had to look cool. Sebrings and Solaras just don’t do it for me but I did look at the A4 and Saab 9-3.
9. A powered roof system and a solid tonneau shelf was critical. I didn’t want those vinyl bag things. (The roof system is incredible, 20 secs to open or close and a fully sealed solid shelf tonneau when the roof is down).
10. A spare tire was necessary. Note the Solstice doesn’t have one but does have a puncture repair system. (The Eclipse has a doughnut tire in the trunk).

These were the important features I had on my list. I think the car looks very cool but that’s always a personal and objective issue. The radio is more than adequate even though you need to install a cable for iPod use. It drives incredibly well and has great acceleration very similar to my Acura TL with similar steering performance as they are both FWD. We have had adults in the back seat and it was OK for short journeys. The Driver and passenger front seats are great and have huge amounts of leg room. It was amazing how much room was in this car. It was possible to talk and be heard with the roof down at high speeds especially with the windows up. I would prefer a speedo with every ten MPH marked for ease of viewing in speed restricted areas but that was a small issue. Rear window viewing is restricted but you learn to use your wing mirrors more efficiently and I would have liked an additional power outlet. Using steering wheel controls took a little getting used to as they are at the back of the steering wheel but once you are used to it, it is easy to operate. A very useful remote tire pressure gauge and warning system is included and an anti theft device is installed.

This is a great car for the money. The “Germans” are great cars but by the time you add in some basic features you quickly get to well over $40K.

Here’s a summary of what I looked at.

1. BMW M4 3.0L 215HP 2 Seater
Good trunk space no back seat. Power roof.
List $38K $36K Typical

2. Saab 9-3 2.0L 210HP 2+2 seater
Good trunk space and rear seats
List $44.6K $44.6K Typical

3. Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 3.8L 265 HP 2+2 seater
Good trunk space. Takes a golf bag. Power roof.
List $30.5K $30.5K Typical

4. Pontiac Solstice GXP 2.0L 260 HP 2 seater
Poor trunk space and manual roof
List $31.4K $31K Typical

5. Ford Mustang 4.6L 300HP 2+2 seater
Can squeeze a golf bag into the trunk. Can use bag seat also.
List $33K $32.4K Typical

6. Mazda Miata 2.0L 158HP 2 Seater
trunk space is OK but no rear seat space at all
$28.4K $27K Typical

Honda S2000 2.2L 237HP 2 Seater
Trunk space limited no rear seat space
List $35K $32K Typical

Toyota Camry Solara 3.3L 210HP 4 seater
Space was more than adequate but this is no roadster.
List $32.5K $30K Typical

Acura TL

Don

July 24, 2007

Price Paid:  $28000.00 from Mile High Mitsubishi

2006 Eclipse GT

Strengths:
Engine, brakes & overall value. Decent 26+ mpg considering big V6.

Weaknesses:
Intermittant electrical problem with steering controls for the CD/Radio. Tires squeal at first sign of any hard corning. Body/paint work maybe a little fragile.

Summary:
Already owned a 93 Honda Prelude si when I purchased Eclipse. The Eclipse feels bigger, mainly wider, & obviously stronger engine performance. The Honda beats Eclipse in handling being much more nimble & tighter round the corners. The Eclipse sways more round corners, although it still a very acceptable GT feel. However, the oem tires squeal at the first sign of any agressive cornering, well before they should. Hopefully aftermarket tires will kill the premature squeal. Brakes are fab, even with the oem tires. Gearbox is a little notchy & slow but very solid quality feel.
Only warranty issue I have had is an intermittant electrical problem with the left channel up/dwn control on the steering wheel for the stereo control...it wrongly adjusts the volume and/or adjusts the channel/track select in the wrong direction. Dealer replaced left control but it's still faulty on many occassions of use. They also upgraded the ECU firmware as part of a recall on damaged warm up cats. I'm also not too impressed by the integrity of the body/paint work. My Honda seems to withstand front stone chips to better degree on the front hood area.

Honda Prelude.

Genie Nall

June 28, 2003

Review 4 of 326 , from GA

Price Paid:  $17000.00 from City Mitsubishi, FL

2003 GS

Strengths:
It's sexy, sleek body style Nice rims for stock Nice acceleration Turns heads Love the tail lights Love the Sportronic transmission (fun!)

Weaknesses:
A rattle! I cant figure out what it is! Engine isn't as loud as my 97 was (I liked the loud engine) Doesn't seem to get as good a gas mileage as my other

Summary:
I actually got this car as a high school graduation present a few days ago. It has 11,000 miles on it because it was a leased car. I drove a 97 eclipse for 2 years before I got this one. The 03 drives and handles a LOT better than the 97 did. And w/ the 2.4 L engine, it takes off better than the 2.0 in the 97. The interior is definetly a lot nicer and it's a little more roomy. I love it!

97 GS Eclipse

Happy Syder Owner

December 14, 2002

Review 5 of 326 , from Oxnard, Ca, USA

Price Paid:  $32000.00 from Todey/Ventura

2003 Eclipse Spyder GTS

Strengths:
Traction on the road is terrific. Love the sportronic feature. Let's me drive manually if I want. Ease of top. Goes up or down in 9 seconds.

Weaknesses:
Only qualm is the non feature of heated seats. It does not come in any package out here in SO Cal.

Summary:
Great Car and soooo much fun. Everyone comments on the color and how sporty it looks. I have the pearl red with the black top. You just melt in the front seats. Sound quality of radio spectacular even with the top down. Heater works great for those cold evening drives topless. I absolutely say buy this car if you want a zippy fun sexy car. My friend was in awe of the comfort and how easily it handled. He has owned porches and believes this car is funner to drive!

Have had 2 other mitsubishi cars; Galant and Montero Sport. This by far surpasses both of them, and I loved my Montero.