2009 Pontiac Bonneville

More products from Pontiac >>
Bonneville MSRP: $ 23400.00

The Bonneville is offered as a 4 door sedan with a 3.8-liter/205-horsepower V-6 or a 3.8-liter/240-horsepower supercharged V-6. Both come standard with a 4-speed automatic and ABS.

Kimber Lantry

May 20, 2008

Price Paid:  $16500.00 from Used car dealer

2004 Pontiac Bonneville GTP

Strengths:
The head up display is additive.
The Northstar V8 is smooth and powerful
Really smooth ride
Corners surprising well for such a large car.
Totally loaded--love the heated seats, the built-in satellite radio that goes with a really fine stero system.

Weaknesses:
It's a big car, so it doesn't get that great a gas mileage.
The Northstar V8 has a reputation for using oil when it gets to 100K miles or more.

Summary:
Absolutely love the car and really regret that GM/Pontiac stopped producing them. The 2000-2005 body style is great looking. The Pontiac engineers did an amazing job of taking a car this large and smooth riding and engineered it to corner like a much sportier car. I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP as well, and this corners way better, with much less torque steer than the lighter Grand Prix. The Northstar V8 is smooth and powerful. I get 22-23 MPG on the freeway driving 80 MPH, and 18 to 19 around town. I can used the mid-range gas (even though the manual recommends premium). Some people critize the red background lighting on the instrument panel at night but I think it looks great. Also, I have read reviews critizing the rather busy instrument panel, but when guests get in the car (who drive Mercedes/BMWs/Lexus) I get a lot of compliments. I guess they don't realize that an American car can have so many options. I bought the car with 10,000 miles on it for $16,500--I think I got a great deal. I have driven it all the way across the country, and it is the smoothiest most comfortable highway car I have ever driven. The miles just went by--850 the first day, 1000 the second day, 1000 the third day, and I was alone--I wish I could go again tomorrow!

I also owned the 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, with the V6 turbo charged engine. It was almost as fast at acceleration, though not quite as silky smooth, but go really great gas mileage--28 MPG on another cross country run, most of it at 75 to 80 MPH. The 2000 to 2003 Bonnys with the SSEi turbocharged V6 are getting hard to find with low mileage, but they are also a great value.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

loricurt

July 11, 2003

Review 2 of 202 , from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Price Paid:  $34000.00 from Ferguson Pontiac

2003 Bonneville SSEi

Strengths:
Styling - Comfort - Power (all Pontiac strengths)- love the 3800 Series II supercharged engine

Weaknesses:
After reading previous postings about engine problems on similar Pontiacs, somewhat concerned about future problems - but we purchased an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty, so hopefully will cover any repairs down the road

Summary:
I have owned GM products off and on for 33 years, and am very impressed with this vehicle. It replaces a 2002 Sunfire, which was extremely reliable, but only so-so on gas mileage. This SSEi has everything but heated seats (not a big deal for most of the year in Oklahoma!)Vey impressive comfort and power - it was purchased primarily for my wife, who is spending more time on the highway (and she didn't like the Sunfire). We have had good luck with previous GM products (2000 Buick Le Sabre most recently)and also currently own a 2002 Montana extended van which we enjoy. Our Pontiac dealer is very responsive to problems and follows up on customer service.Time will tell, of course, but we love our Bonny.

1993 Grand Marquis - 2000 Buick Le Sabre

Mike

April 14, 2003

Price Paid:  $28000.00 from Walker Brothers Pont

Strengths:
Looks good...but it isn't.

Weaknesses:
HA HA HA...to numerous to mention. Don't expect help from the GM help line...Go straight to the BBB or a lawyer..TRUST ME.

Summary:
I'll never buy a GM product again. My 2002 Bonneville is a lemon. I've already been through the BBB arbitration process for paint problems. My problems started on day one, a bad fan control button. Then the paint problem was noticed. Next was an electrical short requiring replacement of the AC control head unit. The short knocked out the dash assembly. Let's see, what was next. Oh yeah, at 7,000 miles I thought I detected a hint of an antifreeze smell. You guessed it, a bad manifold gasket. Then there was a noisy heater core (gurgling noises). And now, my speedometer is on the fritz. The car thinks I'm going 110 to 120 mph when I'm driving 65. The car is going back inot the shop tomorrow, one week after it's last visit to the shop. I wonder if I'll have to argue that I haven't put 8000 miles on the car in one week. That's right, last week 11,500 miles, this week 19,500 miles. There is no doubt that this is already the worst car I've ever owned. Back to Ford for me.

I had pretty good luck with my Taurus, and a new Lincoln, and a Ford Ranger. I had a new 78 Chevy van..pretty nice..except for 2 blown engines within the first 80K miles...GM paid for the first one...

Allen Packard

November 22, 2002

Review 4 of 202 , from Clifton Park, NY, USA

Price Paid:  $27000.00 from Northstar Pontiac

2002 SLE

Strengths:
Comfortable and roomy interior. Aggressive and attractive body style. Very tight body. Lots of gadgets on the dash. Very good handling.

Weaknesses:
The only weakness is the vibration at highway speeds caused by Goodyear tires. I have had the vehicle in the shop 4 times for this problem and finally had to call General Motors to get involved. The problem is still there, but service is working on it. Only time will tell if this can be repaired.

Summary:
The vehicle is generally a lot of fun to drive, very solid and comfortable. What makes this vehicle a bummer is the vibration that, so far, has not been resolved by the service department. There is a bulletin on this vehicle with 17 inch wheels. The bulletin addresses vibration on several GM vehicles and this one specifically with the 17 inch wheels. This vibration takes away a lot of the fun driving this vehicle. Without a vibration this vehicle would be highly rated by me, however, with the vibration I would rate it low and warn anyone thinking of buying a 2001 - 2003 Bonneville SLE or SSEi to test drive it on the highway at 60 to 75 mph to see if there is a vibration that shows up.

2001 Buick LeSabre. Same problems with vibration that the Bonneville has. Got rid of this vehicle because dealer could not fix the problem.

Keith

July 1, 2002

Price Paid:  $32000.00

2001 ssei

Strengths:
Nice sporty ride. Great looks.

Weaknesses:
After waranty expired -- Alternator replaced twice. Both Left and Right front wheelbearing replaced 5,000 apart.

Summary:
When I first bought this car I was in love with it. It was fast, sporty, and reliable....until the 36,000 mile warranty ran out.