2012 Toyota Camry

More products from Toyota >>
Camry MSRP: $ 22500.00

Pros:
  • Refined powertrains
  • Comfortable and quiet cabin that is spacious
  • Excellent fuel economy with both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines
  • Improved ride quality
Cons:
  • Still searching
Ruling: The Redesigned 7th generation 2012 Toyota Camry has improved greatly over the outgoing model. Styling is not spectacular nor is it a radical change compared to previous years, but there is a lot going on underneath the sheetmetal skin of the Camry.

Toyota redesigned everything to increase interior space and the perception of roominess; roof pillars are reshaped in a way that will appear thinner from the inside and door-trim panels have been reshaped for more front knee room. Front seats have also been redesigned to get more rear knee and legroom, and the back of the center console was reshaped.

Toyota has kept the Camry's very absorbent, isolated ride while improving handling—especially straight-line stability and steering response. Toyota has redone the suspension geometry in back for better stability and agility,resulting in less lift/dive during hard braking. The combination of inversely wound coil springs in front plus a new electric power steering system are said to improve steering feel and response.

Overall, the all-new Toyota Camry offers a spacious, comfortable interior and is setup for a smooth ride.

Fuel economy for the four-cylinder is up to 25 mpg city, 35 mpg highway, for a combined rating of 28 mpg. Meanwhile mileage for the V-6 is improved by 1 mpg this year, to 21/30.

CarReview's opinion of the 2012 Toyota Camry

Likes:
  • Redesigned powertrain with more power
  • Improved MPG with both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines
  • Inviting cabin interior
  • Road and wind noise are noticeably reduced, and the overall structure feels more rigid
  • The electric power steering is precise and almost natural
Dislikes:
  • You won't see, smell, or feel rental-car-grade materials anywhere

Verdict: The 2012 Toyota Camry might not be a must-have car for an automotive enthusiast, but with Toyota’s efforts to reclaim the Camry’s reputation as a top choice for safety and value with a nicer, roomier interior, increased fuel efficiency and lower prices, and electronic connectivity, it begs a serious second look for the mid-sized buyer.

Read the full review >>

terri cragen

December 29, 2012

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Bobby Rahal Toyota

2012 Camry LE

Strengths:
Solid, quick, quiet, comfortable, good quality, roomy, looks great, goes well in the snow and on ice

Weaknesses:
fuel economy isn't as good as I had hoped and the defroster takes forever to clear the windows.

Summary:
I had a 2009 Honda Fit that I really liked but wanted something with an automatic. I purchased a 2012 Accord which I hated. The dealer worked with me to try out several other cars. I didn't test drive a Camry because I thought they were weird looking. Anyhow, the moment I sat in the car, I was impressed. And the car was very fast during the test drive. The exterior looks have grown on me and I really like it now. I have about 10,000 miles on the car and enjoy it tremendously. It's comfortable for long-distance drives and goes surprisingly well in snow and on ice. I really like the radio and, especially, the control panel in the dashboard. My car is green with a tan interior and everyone who has gotten into the car comments on the neat stitching on the dashboard and how handsome the car is with the color combination. My car is the LE which means it has steel wheels with hubcaps and a more plain interior than the SE. It's a plain-looking car but that works fine with me. The Fit and the Accord I had both scraped my driveway when I turned in, however, the Camry sits up just a little higher and doesn't scrape. I think the Camry is everything a good car should be -- roomy, quiet, quick, smooth, decent-sized trunk and reasonable fuel economy. I'd recommend a Camry to anyone looking for a sedan.

2012 Honda Accord, 1995 Chevy Lumina, 1991 Pontiac Gran Prix

SE MN driver

April 23, 2012

2011 2012 Toyota Camry XLE 4cyl

Strengths:
Refined roomy (front & back) interior seating with easy to use controls including Nav with Entune (Toyota's internet connection system using smart phones).

Excellent at or above EPA rated MPG with peppy 4 cylinder engine.

No quality problems with reputed long term reliabiltiy and low cost of scheduled maintenance. High rated 17" Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires.

Weaknesses:
Full headlights dont come on in Auto mode when wipers activated.

Side mirrors smaller than should be.

Despite high quality interior, carpeting seems thin and cheap = need to purchase mats an extra cost.

Some reviewers comment on the fake wood interior trim in the XLE or the less than flashy exterior (vs say a Kia Optima) but those are not detractors in our judgement.

Summary:
Note this is for a 2012 Camry XLE - this web site only lists 2011 on it's pull down tab!!! Since I am not sure how this review will even show with this glaring problem, all I will add in addition to the strengths/weaknesses is that in over 2000 miles of mixed driving we are very satisfied with this new 2012 Camry XLE.