2009 Chevrolet Express

More products from Chevrolet >>
Express MSRP: $ 22255.00 - $ 26970.00

The Express Cargo Van is a 3- or 4-door, up to 2-passenger full size van, available in 6 trims, ranging from the G1500 Regular Wheelbase RWD to the G3500 Extended Wheelbase RWD.

The G1500 Regular Wheelbase RWD is equipped with a standard 4.3-liter, V6, 195-horsepower engine. The G3500 Extended Wheelbase RWD is equipped with a standard 4.8-liter, V8, 279-horsepower engine. A 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is standard on both trims.

Jeffs386

March 31, 2008

2005 Express 2500

Strengths:
styling,ease of maintenence,reliability

Summary:
This is my 3rd Chevrolet Express cargo van
I use them for my contracting business
I currently have 65000 miles on this one
the last one I owned was a 2003 I traded it with 150000 miles and before that I had a 2000 that had over 250000 miles
This one is just like the previous ones in that it gives me zero problems and is very easy to service
I have owned Ford and Dodge vans in the past and the Chevrolets are far superior in every way
I need to use my van each and every day so I can't afford to own something that has to be at the repair shop constantly

2003 Express
2000 Express

gary

May 25, 2003

2003 -

Summary:
I manage a fleet of over 30 Chevrolet Express 3500 cargo vans for an electrical contractor purchased between 1996 and currently.We have experienced many problems with this vehicle.They list from failing intake manifold gaskets(silicone around ports on a plastic gasket deteriates),side cargo door hinges seize,due to rust,and break.Plastic front inside door panels break easily at the attachment points,power steering seals fail and cause leaks.I have a 1996 model which had 55,000 miles at the time,which had water enter the onboard computer(which happens to be in the engine compartment).It was filled with water and had corroded all the inner electrical components.The dealership recommened replacing the complete wiring harness along with the computer at a cost of $2300.00.They believed water had entered the computer due to a crack in the windshield. G.M. was in complete denial that the unit couldn't have been bad from the factory,but if you go to www.alldata.com ,it list this very problem in its list of technical bulitans G.M. supplies its technicians along with many other problems common to this vehicle.I understand that no vehicle is flawless,but seems to me that G.M. pays its engeneers based on how close they can design one to last 36,000 miles before problems surface,(that way, the vehicle is out of warrenty). When a problem does arrise, I am often told that we are the only ones experencing this or that problem.With a fleet of these vehicles,I see the same problems surfacing over and over again,year after year, with no design change to fix the problems that exist.I believe that G.M. stands to make money by being the sole manufacturer of commonly failing items on its design flaws.

gary

May 25, 2003

2003 -

zachgrant

July 15, 2003

Review 4 of 46 , from Long Island, NY

Price Paid:  $32000.00 from East Hills Olds/Chev

2003 Chevrolete Express 15 Passenger

Strengths:
Long wheel base, great brakes, much safer than Ford's van, overall size, room in back of last row (unlike Ford), great looking (and different) front end. Alot of vehicle for the money (especially if you know the rebates, incentives, dealer costs, etc.)

Weaknesses:
No AWD on long wheelbase. Tranny and overall workmanship, drivetrain (6.0 Vortex) is overrated. My 5.4 Ford, with 50 less HP felt faster. The Ford has better controls and interior. No interior lights on last row, no 12V plug in the passenger seats, way too much plastic, doors do not stay open, needs more sound deadening.

Summary:
I sold my '97 Ford Club Wagon, and custom built my new Express b/c it is vastly safer. The Ford has a short wheelbase, lousy brakes, and drives like a rig. The Express is much, much easier to drive. Excellent brakes and steering. However, reliabilty (and I own 10 Chevies) has not been great. The tranny already has been replaced (3 weeks to locate), the steering is making noise, A/C is not as good as the Ford, and the interior is more plasticky than even I've seen. On-star is useless (and cost me $600), but do get the heated mirrors with turn signals and the base rear end (3.73) with optional limited slip. The dealers down here don't like working on the vehicle, as it is so large. The van actually rides better than my '01 2500 Suburban. '04 will be even safer with Stability Control.

1997 Ford Clubwagon, 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500, 2003 Chevy Avalanche.

james

May 10, 2003

Review 5 of 46 , from seaford, long island, New york

Price Paid:  $30500.00 from Nesenger chevrolet l

Strengths:
lots of power,best value for your hard earned dollar, great dealership,

Weaknesses:
should have waited for 2003 model. it has all wheel drive option

Summary:
I went to the dealer looking for a suburban and met a wonderful salesman (Randy)who asked if he could show me the value of the conversion van over the suburban. after spending over an hour looking at different vans we settled on a Rocky Ridge conversion it had all the features we needed and some we did'nt at the time but are glad we have now. The Chevy Express rides like a dream it has so much more leg room than my neighbors ford e-250 and rides so much smoother. the entertainment system from Rocky Ridge keeps my 3 kids occupied for hours (worth the price of the van alone)the Salesperson was great,low key-low pressure and very knowlegable.

ford e-250