2009 Mazda MPV

More products from Mazda >>
MPV MSRP: $ 23500.00

The MPV is powered by a 3.0-liter, 155 hp V-6 with a 4-speed automatic. Rear wheel ABS is standard. And it's available in 2 or 4 wheel drive models.

RM

September 6, 2010

Price Paid:  $13500.00 from Toronto

2004 MPV

Strengths:
Good Performace.

Weaknesses:
Engine Coil and Brakes do not last long

Summary:
My Mazda MPV 2004 has the Engine Light On problem, which has been found to be due to an Ignition coil failure. I have owned this Minivan for almost 3 years now and occasionally found the Engine Light On problem occuring. The dealership replaces the Ignition coil and I have to pay a heavy sum each time. I strongly feel that Mazda should announce a recall and fix this problem once and for all.

I have not yet placed this on the Reviews for on the Mazda website but seriously consider doing so, if Mazda does not take necessary steps

Ron

December 19, 2009

Price Paid:  $27500.00 from Bomarito

2004 ES

Strengths:
Great handling. Great for family of 3+ kids that are under 10 years of age.

Weaknesses:
Ignition coils problems - stranded twice on two separate long distance trips. Mazda covered under warranty.

Summary:
Great overall value for young family.

Buick Terraz, Honda Odyssy

turbodogz

July 21, 2005

Price Paid:  $18500.00 from Con Paulos (Twin Fal

2004 Mazda MPV ES

Strengths:
Finish, size, versatility.

Weaknesses:
Tranny, Transmission, Gear grinder, etc. Low clearance. In order to install the dealer tow package, you need to buy a different Mazda muffler.

Summary:
Just got the van back today from the dealer and I wanted to echo some of the previous reviews and geve some additional feedback. About six months after vehicle delivery, we experienced our first episode of "shift shock" where the car hesitates between second and third and then hits third with a thud/slam. Took the vehicle in and they "calibrated" the transmission which altered when the vehicle would shift in the power band. This improved the situation in the short term but eventually the problem reoccurred. Took the vehicle back just prior to a 1500 mile vacation trip. The dealer replaced the transfer range switch. About 75 miles into the trip, the CEL came on. Stopped at the next dealership and had them pull the codes. This time, the TCC (torque converter control?) was blamed. CEL went out, we went on our way. 150 miles later, the CEL relighted and we began to get transmission slippage, shift shock, etc. Finally got home, put the vehicle in the shop and diagnostics came back indicating MAJOR transmission problems. Dealer performed Mazda-rquired diagnostics to isolate the issue . . . SURPRISE . . . the transmission needs to be replaced. Anyway, new tranny, new hope. No problems so far (6 miles) but I'm not holding my breath.

fatbaba

March 20, 2005

Price Paid:  $18000.00 from Long Beach Mazda

2004 Mazda MPV

Strengths:
Price. Appearance.

Weaknesses:
Very poor build quality. Expect to have a lot of trouble.

Summary:
Actually, this is a shining new 2005 Mazda MPV. I guess this site is not updated for this year yet since the latest model year is 2004. I bought this brand new Mazda MPV at Long Beach Mazda 21 days ago on March 1st, 2005 at a price of 17000 after 4000 cash rebate. I did a detailed research on the internet before I decided on the model. Carreviews.com is one of my most visited site and I read all the reviews on Mazda MPV before I took the dive. The reasons: 1. Cheap, 2. it is a Japanese car which supposed to be "reliable". Well, I am starting to feel this is a wrong decision. After 6 days we took the car home, the "check engine light" (or CEL) is on when I was driving on the highway. I took it right back to the dealor and they took a whole morning to pull the codes and check the connections. They found nothing wrong and send us home. Then yesterday again on the highway, the "O/D off" light (over-drive off) was flashing which according to Mazda is an indication of an electrical problem in the transmission and can cause damage to the vehicle if we continue to drive. So we pulled off and restarted the engine. The light went off. Being a honda owner, I know what "care free" means. Now, I dont expect the same thing on the Mazda MPV. I expect to get it into the dealor every month and waste a half day there then be sent back home knowing nothing is found. False alarm? How many more times it will be turned on before it turns into a true alarm and break down on the highway? My advise: "Dont Buy".

Honda, Toyota.

Carajo

September 16, 2004

Price Paid:  $32000.00 from Bank St. Mazda

2004 Mazda MPV

Strengths:
Style, handling, visibility, price (zero percent financing), ground clearance, comfort, safety (ABS, traction control, side air bags, 5-star crash ratings). Salesman was very professionnal.

Weaknesses:
The most common complaint is the gearshift lever obstructing the radio power button. Not a big deal. Other weakness I noticed...if driver is over six feet tall and likes a stretched-out driving position, he (she) may not have sufficient leg room. Less interior room than competitors...great for four-to-six-member families but if you frequently travel long distances with seven people, you will need a roof box.

Summary:
After much research, I had narrowed down my choice to three mini-vans: MPV, Odyssey, Sienna. Siennas are packaged in such a way that, in order to get a simple roof rack, you MUST buy the mid-scale LE instead of the base CE, a $5420 (Cdn) price increase. A marketing ploy to get you to spend more than you would like to. Toyota also has the highest interest rate for purchase or lease. Pass... The Odyssey was nice, but it would not fit in an average single-car garage like mine unless you completely emptied the garage, hardly plactical. Also, it does not have roll-down windows and the styling is dated. Second-highest interest rate on lease or purchase, pass... The MPV I bought is Steel Blue metallic with the GFX package, dual power sliding doors, dual air, upgraded stereo, ABS, traction control, front side air bags and gorgeous 17" wheels. Having already gone on an extended trip with my family, I can tell you this car is an absolute blast to drive. It handles quite well, it's extremely quiet on the highway at any speed (careful...150 KPH can sneak up on you before you know it!). Visibility in all directions is the best in the class. Seats are extremely confortable, although the rear bench is really intended for 3 children or two adults, not three adults. All 7 seats offer ample leg and head room. A/C is excellent, stereo is very good (but not excellent) and the rear seat can be folded down by an 8-year-old. Once done, there is ample space. Bonus, the MPV has excellent ground clearance, as I discovered driving on the extremely rough road to our cottage. Bonus, if you get the 17" wheels, there is an extra half-inch ground clearance. Who needs an SUV?

1996 Ford Windstar