Volkswagen Passat Wagon (2010 and older)

More products from Volkswagen >>
Passat Wagon (2010 and older) MSRP: $ 28755.00

The Passat Wagon is a 4-door, 5-passenger wagon, available in 3 trims, ranging from the Komfort to the Komfort SULEV.

All trims are equipped with a standard 2.0-liter, I4, 200-horsepower, turbo engine that achieves 22-mpg in the city and 31-mpg on the highway. A 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is standard.

Michael

February 16, 2010

2010 Passat Wagon Komfort

Strengths:
Great fuel economy, very good interior room, great power, everything where you need it.

Weaknesses:
Power front passenger seat not offered, dual climate control not offered.

Summary:
This is the first Volkswagon I have ever owned. It has turned out to be a surprising joy to drive. Craftmanship and finish is superb in and out. Handling is easy and effortless. Mileage is great averaging around 30 on the highway and 25 around town. The turbo does what a turbo is meant to do. Power is better than expected for this four cylinder engine in all situations. It is very easy to hit 80-90 MPH without noticing it - I think they mean it when they say top spead is 130 MPH. There is some road noise from the tires (OEM and different tires may reduce this) at higher speeds, but not too bad. Four adult can ride in comfort in this car and still have the rear for luggage. Put the second row seats down and you can put around 72 CF of stuff in the back - and I do regularly. Controls are typical for a German car and placed where you want them with a minimum of flashiness. The navigation system is easy to use and usually gets you where you want to go (haven't figured out how it is updated, yet). Audio system is more than adequate. Service at our dealer (Keffer in Huntersville,NC) has been excellent. Car has 23,000 miles on it in less than a year - I drive it a lot - so I'll update when and if any service issues come up.

lee

July 7, 2010

2009 Passat Wagon

Strengths:
Stylish

Weaknesses:
extremely unreliable

Summary:
have had the throttle body, throttle body wiring, and steering column replaced. The car has broken down on my 5 times over the past year and a half. Horrible car. I'm totally bummed I have the car for a four year 60,000 mile lease.

Bob Hiscott

October 4, 2010

Price Paid:  $40000.00 from Oakville VW

2008 Passat Wagon

Strengths:
Great styling
Comfortable

Weaknesses:
Unreliable
Poor quality
Poor drive train

Summary:
After owning several Volvo Wagons, I though it time for a change. I went with my wife to a VW Dealership while she was looking for a new car. In the showroom was a brand new 2008 Passat Wagon. I was not really familiar with the model but once I sat in it, looked at the fit and finish, I was quite impressed. I took it for a test drive, and was even more impressed. The price was substantially lower than that of the Volvo.

Now less than 2 years later, I can honestly say that it is without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned.

It all started out last winter when the dealer installed a set of winter tires and rims. Immediately after driving it off the lot there was a tremendous amount of noise and vibration. After several trips back to the dealer and being told that this was normal for snow tires I went to another dealership. They said that the lug nuts were not correct for the rims - and oh by the way, your transmission has some play in it and we'll have to replace it - less than 30,000 kms. Went back to the dealership who installed the snows and they eventually changed the lug nuts, and put a new set of tires on the car. It was better, but there was still noise.

In the spring I put the summer tires back on and had the car serviced. Again complained about the noise and vibration. According to the dealer - everything checks out.

The noise is now getting unbearable. Took it back to the dealer. This time they replaced the wheel bearings. A little better, but not right. They are now saying it's uneven tire wear. The tires were not rotated properly! All service has been down on schedule by VW Dealers.

Two weeks later I'm driving along the QEW in Toronto during rush hour and I loose all power. Of course I'm in the outside lane and because of the construction there is no shoulder to pull off on to. The car gets towed to my dealer and I am told that the driveshaft has failed - new driveshaft is installed. STILL NOT RIGHT.

Everyone who gets into the car asked about the noise.

Today I called VW Customer Service to express my concerns about the quality of the vehicle and was told that as long as the dealer was fixing the problems that there is nothing that they can do.

The car now has 45,000 kms on it.

V70 Volvo

punkin2267

December 27, 2007

Price Paid:  $30000.00 from Berge VW

2007 passat wagon

Strengths:
It's a nice looking car, VW customer relations is very easy to work with. It's got alot of great features.

Weaknesses:
The more features it has, the more can and will go wrong with it. Parts of the car just seem to break, almost like it's made out of cheap plastic. It's definitely not worth the price.

Summary:
I bought my Passat in May of 2007, it has 5400 miles on it and it's been nothing but problems. I've had to bring it in to the dealership 4 times now to be repaired. I owned a Jetta before that and that vehicle also had issues. Against my better judgement I traded the Jetta in for the Passat and have been so regretful ever since. I would highly suggest to anyone that buys one of these cars, to really research it before you do it. Check out the dealership that you want to buy the car from also, on the BBB. It would probably be in your best interest to purchase the extended warranty on the vehicle also, that way your covered later on, if you purchased a car that ends up having a lot of issues. In the end, I will never buy another VW again, it's not worth all the time and energy I spend in the service department getting it fixed.

2003 VW Jetta

Robert Doeden

November 26, 2010

Price Paid:  $24000.00 from Used car dealer

2005 VW Passat Stationwagon TDI

Strengths:
I bought this car for the diesel motor. Gets an average of 35 mpg around town and 41 on the highway. This is only a small 2.0 four cylinder motor but has the guts of a V-6 gas engine. Great handling.

Weaknesses:
Have had to replace both front drive shafts.

Summary:
I've been well satisfied with the car. Will replace only when VW offers another Passat TDI.