BMW M5 (2010 and older)

More products from BMW >>
M5 (2010 and older) MSRP: $ 85700.00

Pros:
  • Powerful 500 hp 5.0-liter V10 engine
  • 0 - 60 mph in 4.5 seconds
  • Comfortable and supportive front seats
  • Optimum blend of supercar power and everyday convenience of a 4-door sedan
Cons:
  • Excessive technology takes away the visceral experience
  • Cannot disable stability control
Ruling: The BMW M5 emphasis is on performance, but it's luxurious cabin and long list of convenience features also makes for a very practical sedan.

The BMW M5 is powered by a hand-built 500-hp 5.0-liter V10,which can be mated to a 7-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) with steering wheel paddles or a 6-speed manual transmission. M-specific suspension and steering help keep all that power under control, while four cross-drilled anti-lock disc brakes provide the stopping. The M5 also features the M Drive button on the steering wheel, allowing the driver to set and save their favorite vehicle settings and access the extra 100-hp when in M mode.

John

August 25, 2011

Price Paid:  $39900.00 from Paramount Fine Cars

2006 M5

Strengths:
Style, performance, exclusivity, quality interior materials.

Weaknesses:
Unreliable electronics, rough SMG tranny, terrible fuel economy

Summary:
I bought a used BMW E60 M5 in the fall of 2010 and got rid of it by Spring 2011. I am not new to bimmers or M series cars, having owned several M3s previously and bought the M5 as a natural upgrade from my E46 M3 convertible (which was a great car).

The car had 86,000 kms on it and a clear CarFax and CarProof (Canadian version of CarFax). I was the 2nd owner.

The car is beautiful to behold and reeks of quality inside and out. Performance was world-class and it got compliments everywhere.

Electronic gremlins killed the ownership experience for me. The worst problem (for me) was the passenger rearview mirror housing, which kept tilting downwards towards the road every time the car was parked. I fixed that with a woodscrew internally to lock it in place. Then the tranny would give me error messages (google E60 yellow gear error) and go into limp mode about every 7-10 days. It was taken to BMW 3 times, codes cleared, given the OK only to find the error come up again at its regular interval. The navi and iDrive system was poorly designed. Fuel consumption was really bad. I did not drive in P500 mode, and was never aggressive with the gas pedal yet the car gave me consistent 9mpg ratings. A $90 tank of gas lasted 3 days for me. Crunching the numbers, I could almost afford to take the cab to work every day lol.

In the end it just wasn't for me and I sold it for a Nissan GTR.

BMW E46 M3, Lexus IS350, Lexus GS430

Jackchors

March 24, 2008

Price Paid:  $108000.00 from Century Motors, CA

2003 M-5 Verdugo Ltd. Edition.

Strengths:
F1 car for the masses. All the other superlatives have been said. No regrets.

Weaknesses:
Repairs can be expensive, but cheaper than a divorce!

Summary:
My blood runs F1 all the way. Ever since I was a child, while my friends built forts and read dirty mags, I imagined my impoverished behind in the seat of a high-performance car or motorcycle. After nearly kissing the gunner's daughter on my VFR-800, I decided that my two-wheeled antics would be limited to track time only. I finally realized my dream in 1994 when I had the income to purchase a Supra TT. But I was disappointed with the steering feed-back from this otherwise stellar car. So I bought my first BMW, a 1995 M3. And that was when I realized that M was going to be a part of my life.

I had a difficult choice to make in 2001: Buy an M3 (wonderful car) or wait a couple of years and trade up to the M5. I waited. I custom ordered it with the Verdugo Ltd. Edition pkg (Baer, Dinan upgrades) in beautiful silver. Six-speed Sport pkg, of course.

What a car. Incredible handling, composed chassis and torque-monster motor. When I married in 2004, I came the realization that the M5, and my love of driving it, was putting a strain on my relationship. So I chose to stay with the love of my life. My ex got almost everything else.

M3, Supra TT, E55 AMG

ATV360K

October 27, 2003

Price Paid:  $85000.00 from july 21st

2003 BMW M5

Strengths:
POWER, ACCELERATION, LUXURIOUS, GPS, WOOD, M INHANCED BASS, LCD SCREEN, HANDLING, BRAKING, SPORTY RIDE, AND ALOT MORE

Weaknesses:
NOT ONE THING, ITS PERFECT!!!!!

Summary:
I am 16 years old and my dad bought me a M5 for my birthday brand new with about 2 or 3 miles on it, my dad made me test drive mercedes, lexus, porshe, ferrari, lamborghini, and cadillac escalde and my dad also offered me one of the cars we already own like the diablo or the SL600 benz but i picked the M5, ever since i got this car i love it even more, my dad bought it for me fully loaded with the wood, black and blue full grain leather interior, GPS Navigation, on board computer, DSC, and the M enhanced stero system with enhanced bass but i have a tight system in the trunk with 2 12" kickers , this thing BUMPS!!! my dad bought me the Giovanna Kobe racing rims but i am still thinking if i want to have them put on so right now there just sitting in my garage. it has a standard six speed and with this car there is no other way to go. i have taken out the fog lights and got two stage 3 super chargers put in and the super chargers got the air from the tubes that i put in where the fog lights used to be at. The acceleration on a BMW is what they are known for and especially with the M5 you can feel that, with the two super chargers this thing beat my lamborghini murcieago when my dad let my friend drive it once. The safety on BMW's is said to be the best in the world and that it is, i can get this car to stop on a dime from any speed and the handeling, it could turn on a dime as well. This is a great car all and all, i have probably drivien this car harder than any one ever has or atleast it feels like it and i ahve not had one problem with it.if you can afford it, i highly recomend this car

NOTHING LIKE IT

MG-is-MG

June 27, 2003

Review 4 of 34 , from Q8

Price Paid:  $75000.00 from BMW Dealership

2003 /M5

Strengths:
Very powerful...without the Sport button you have more power then your think... so imagine with the sport button.... your steering weal gets harder.... more power...more speed.... better handling....you can feel the car stuck to the ground…. I leave the rest for you to imagine....

Weaknesses:
Nothing.... But for those that have the M5 2001 or 2002 the new M5 2003 is better because the changing gear is smoother and much easier...about the oil and the gas consumption… Well if you can buy that car then you have money to pay for oil and gas heheheh :)

Summary:
The car is perfect.... its true that from the outside nothing shows that it’s a fast car... but from the inside it does if you know how to drive that baby....Ooo if you think you will get attention ... think twice... because it looks like a normal 5 series... so buy yourself a corvette.. But if you love sport cars with a touch of luxury go for it...

Hummm M3....but smaller

Badkharma

December 3, 2002

Review 5 of 34 , from Southern California

Price Paid:  $65000.00 from European Delivery

2002 BMW M5

Strengths:
Handling is awesome, it's perfectly balanced. Understeers a bit, but that is easily corrected with a little lift throttle oversteer. This thing is so easy to control it's wonderful. You don't really have to work when doing powerslides in the rain, it's not squirrely at all (turn DRS - traction control - off... :) ). Acceleration is awesome! The growl of the v8 is awesome. Lastly, the manual transmission. All the other cars in it's class (Audi RS6, E55 AMG, etc) are all autos. You can't argue with a sedan that does 0-60 in 4.8 (on a good day, mind you).

Weaknesses:
Gas mileage, especially the way I drive it, is around 13 mpg in the city. I do better on the freeway, but it's still bad. I don't care though, it's no big deal. I just stop more often to fuel it up. Oil consumption is high. I'm told that it will decrease after 10K miles, so I hope it does. Fine by me though, both of those are just minor inconveniences. The rest of the car is perfect.

Summary:
WOW. This car is amazing. I first went on a test drive and I had to buy it. I took European Delivery (that's why it was only $65K) and drove it on the infamous autobahn. I wish we had freeways like that here in the US. Besides that, this car is perfectly balanced! I took it on the BMW skidpad while taking delivery and had some fun. I highly recommend this car if you're looking for a practical, fun car. It's a sleeper though, many people think it's "just another bmw." Other than the rims, badging and a few other subtle hints, no one really knows it's an m5 except for the car enthusiasts. I like that. Overall, it's a 5/5 in both ratings. :)

Audi S4 - great car, served well, not as refined as the M5, certainly not as balanced, although the AWD was nice.