BMW Z3 M Coupe (1999 - 2002)

More products from BMW >>
Z3 M Coupe (1999 - 2002) MSRP: $ 44990.00

(1999 - 2002) The M Coupe is one of the fastest stock BMW ever sold in America, reaching 60 mph from a standstill in only 5 seconds. The suspension has been modified from the M Roadster, and the coupe is 2.6 times stiffer than its topless counterpart.

diesomber

June 24, 2006

Price Paid:  $33000.00 from private

2002 M Coupe

Strengths:
It is the M. Fast and unforgiving. Styling.

Weaknesses:
A lot of the car will break if strengthening upgrades aren't made. Old rear end design. Needs suspension upgrades for serious roadhandling.

Summary:
It has it's flaws, but definately a pleasure to drive... fast. Not much I can say to add to other reviews of this car... you love it or hate it. Get's as many looks around town as a high dollar exotic, and just as much fun to drive. A lot of work needs to be done to beef up the car for upgrades (diff mount, rear sway bar mounts, rear shock mounts, camber adjustments) but very worth it. To correct a couple of the past reviews... yes you can turn the rear wiper off, and no, the S54 doesn't cost more to maintain... it's just a more potent powerplant. A very capable performer despite it's quirks and intolerance for poor driving skills.

Lotus Elise (a go-kart with a Toyota Celica powerplant)... sweet but lacking.

Geoffrey

July 30, 2003

Price Paid:  $37000.00 from private individual

2002 M-Coupe

Strengths:
315 HP very fast, incredable pick-up. Great looking from front, rear and both front and rear angles.

Weaknesses:
In addition to a few already pointed out (windows, no spare),Rear windshield wiper no off switch, have to stop engine to turn off. Can't lift wipers away to clean front windshield unless turn on and stop in mid- cycle. No factory armrest available, I had to buy an alternate brand that fits factory cup holder.

Summary:
I just got this car. Had a 96 M3 which was one of best cars ever made and most difficult to give up. The 315 HP in this one, however is superb. Power galore. I still haven't gotten use to the handeling around turns, weight distribution is totally different from the M3 so I find myself feeling like it'll filp. After a month, I got to say it's a very sweet little car. Heads will turn and it will flat get up and go.

BMW M3

Julian Furman

June 1, 2003

Review 3 of 40 , from London, UK + Tel-Aviv, Israel

2002 M Coupe

Strengths:
The oddball looks will keep you (and others) permanently interested. One day I wake up and hate it, the next I love it with all my heart. The fact that I never know how I'll feel that day keeps my love affair indefinitely intact. My car is also the only one in Israel - noone knows exactly how to react! The S54 engine is a peach, managing to be even better than the S50 I had before. It is possible to comfortably use all the power up to 8-9/10 - after that you'd better be seriously skilled to come out in one piece. The ride is sensational considering the focused nature of the car - very pliable and never tiring.

Weaknesses:
Tiny gass-tank - you'll be on first name terms with your pump-attendant. Rear-wiper has a tendency to ejaculate during acceleration (has happened on both cars) Certain interior fittings feel a bit dated THAT steering-wheel! No 6sp box - gets a bit boomy on the motorway (especially S50 as 80mph in fifth corresponds with 'ugly' noise in the rev-range)

Summary:
The M Coupe is a unique car. My first, a 2000 car in London, was crashed by my dealer during a service exactly a year ago. I 'upgraded' to an M3, but the ghost of the M Coupe refused to die. A year later, I bought a late-model 2002 car in Germany to ship out to Israel to replace my Subaru Impreza Turbo. There are few cars on the road that have such an abundance of character, and the fact that there are fewer than 2000 in the world, means that they are classics waiting in the wings. I doubt I will ever sell my M Coupe, and I can unconditionally say it is the best car I've ever had. To give you some idea: I ended up paying double the price to import it into Israel. And I can safely say it's the single best decision I've ever made.

Many. Boxster S: Talented and 'better' car, but far less character. M Coupe all the way. Audi TT: Hairdresser's car. Sold it after 3 months to buy my first M Coupe. Serious dissapointment M Roa

chris

December 12, 2002

Review 4 of 40 , from newport

Price Paid:  $42000.00 from pacific

2002 M Coupe

Strengths:
power, brakes, tranny, feel

Weaknesses:
needs coil overs...fixed recaro seats (coming in a few months)

Summary:
awsome car in many respects...crazy power in any gear balanced feel, very precice...the down sides, there is too much body lean in hard corners, the seats dont provide enough support in hard cornering....

c43 amg s2000 audi s4 e36 m3

MmmCoup

July 31, 2002

Price Paid:  $42445.00 from CA. dealer

2002 BMW M Coupe (which is NOT a "Z3 M")

Strengths:
Strengths: Unique looks. Odd from certain angles, gorgeous from others. Rare. Resale value. Power. Brakes. Interior is superb (except the damn steering wheel!); simple and clean. Michelin Pilot Sports are fantastic. Sunroof (except button location) is great. The engine performs and even looks like a 10. It's just all good. Gas cap is even great (many are not, and that gets annoying). Hood has TWO latches, not one. Battery is in the rear, but there is a positive post under the hood to jump start those dead Mustangs & Vettes. Car is just so unusual looking. Unlike Honda Accords, Camry's, etc, which all look the same, this car looks like nothing else.

Weaknesses:
Weaknesses: Button for sunroof is in a dumb location (when you use it the car behind you might think you are flipping them off). Side mirrors don't self dim (boo hoo, I'll live). Chrome on guages sometimes blinds you! Biggest weakness? Morons think it is a Z3 (although very rarely). Rims/tires shoud be wider. Stock they are 225 & 245. 245's and 275 or 285's would be preferred. ESS Tuning does not offer a supercharge for it yet (est power will be 417 hp). Traction control for sport driving is WORTHLESS. Real complaints: Rear suspension. Needs improving, not bad, but not up to the rest of the car. I will work on this soon. More torque would be nice. Steering wheel is TOO BIG! Reverse should be harder to engage (but my girlfriend says it is already too difficult).. No Xenon lights (why?!). No 18" wheels (and the M Star rims they have are not made in 18", bummer). No cross drilled brakes (costs very little to do on the factory end). No CLS (light weight version). Some people mention rattles? I have done better than 100+ at at least a 100x's, 120+ at least 15x's. I have done 140+ 5x's, and 150+ 3x's. My car has NO rattles. None. Car

Summary:
Summary (paid $42,445 + tax, the dealer was a sucker). First off, there is a: Z3, Z3 Coup, M Roadster, & M Coup. *4* very different models. An M Coup is NOT A "Z3 M Coup". NO SUCH THING. Is an M3 a "330 M3"? No! Is an M5 a "540 M5"? No! Is a Lincoln navigator an "F250 Navigator". No! Is a Ferrari 288 GTO a "308 wide body"? No! Pathetic to see how many people here call there M Coups and M Roadster "Z3 M Coups" and "Z3 M Roadsters". Look at the title of your car if you are still confused as to what it is you own... There is no other car that can give you this kind of fun and EXCLUSIVITY like this car does. Honda S2000? Are you kidding? Yeah, red line it, drop the clutch at 5K rpm, and if you are luck you will still be only 1-2 seconds off of the M Coups 315 hp 0-60 in 4.3 second time (EVO Euro magazine). The M Coup is MUCH more than just a fast 0-60 car (if that's all you want then buy a Mustang, recline the seat all the way, and pretend you are cool). S2000 is cute, but it is not in the same category as the M Coup or M Roadster. If you think it is, then you should be driving a lowered Handa Civic with a 4' wing on the back and 5" exhaust out let on your stock muffler, oh, and don;t forget that poor posture makes you go faster, so be sure to recline the seat half way before driving it.... M Coup in an awesome car. I plan on keeping it until BMW releases an M8 (which might be never, and that will be fine). Over all I give it an 9.0 out of 10 (rear suspension kills it as a 9.5). The longer I have it the more I like it. My friends love it. More they see it the more they like it.

Similar Products Used: Lexus IS300 (until I drove it, what a grandma car, and who designed those mirrored tail lights? A drag queen?). Subaru WRX (great car!). Dodge Viper (too much of a look at