Porsche 911 Carrera (2010 and older)

More products from Porsche >>
911 Carrera (2010 and older) MSRP: $ 76300.00

The 911 Carrera is a 2-door, 4-passenger luxury sports car, or convertible sports car, available in 4 trims, ranging from the Coupe to the S Cabriolet.

The Coupe is equipped with a standard 3.6-liter, H6, 345-horsepower engine that achieves 18-mpg in the city and 25-mpg on the highway. The S Cabriolet is equipped with a standard 3.8-liter, H6, 385-horsepower engine that achieves 18-mpg in the city and 21-mpg on the highway.

ausen

April 4, 2005

Price Paid:  $65700.00 from Pioneer, San Diego

2004 911 996

Strengths:
Power, handling, style, class, German engineering, reputation

Weaknesses:
Expensive options

Summary:
I purchased this 2004 911 in San Diego in Feb 2005 and got a $12K off of MSRP. Porsches typically sell for MSRP. I pretty much found exactly what I wanted with the exception of a few options. The car is great. It handles great, smooth power, sounds strong. Because of the 2000 mile break in I really haven't run it hard, but at 115 mph you would never know it. It feels like you're going 55. The appearance is great as well. A real head turner too. It is such a classy car, really has not had any major body change in the 40 or so years that it has been around. I had always wanted one and no regrets after shelling out $65K for it.

Usually drive SUVs, closest to sporty car was 1999 Mazda Miata

nlchris

December 24, 2004

Price Paid:  $74910.00 from Dealer

2004 911/997

Strengths:
PORSCHE! Absolute improvement over the 996 debaucle. history,performance,absolute class! drive-ability head turner fast and comfortable too many to list

Weaknesses:
small gas tank

Summary:
Out shopping for an M3 to upgrade my 01 330ci and stopped by a Porsche dealer and had the unfortunate circumstance of driving an 05 997 (sorry had to put 04, it was the newest model year offered in this site). I have owned several Porsches, always weekend cars, and would have never bought a 996, felt like the Bxter was a better value. WELL let me tell you Porsche has definitley outdone themselves. Completely redesigned, exterior/interior, more powerful, amazing! The most impressive thing is that Porsches as much as I love them always take a certain ammount of energy to drive, ie: I wouldn't choose to take one on a long road trip, I would opt for the more comfortable Bimmer. Not this one, as comfortable as a BMW. Best handling 911 I have ever driven, on par with the mid engine Bxter, though it's been a couple years since I've driven a Bxter so this could be an exageration of sorts. Everything upgraded from Porsche Active Susp Mngmt, look, sound, shocking really. The next day I sold my 97 993 Cab (which I swore I would never get rid of) and bought the 997! and what a steal for 75K. There was not an 04 996 on the lot for under 85K! Check this car out! You will be blown away!

90 911 83 911 99 Boxter 97 911 99 328I 01 330ci

Gerardg8

August 20, 2008

Price Paid:  $70000.00 from Porsche dealership

2003 911 Carrera 2 Coupe

Strengths:
Great looks

Drives very well

Weaknesses:
Very poor reliability (engine replaced after 50,000 miles; various oil leaks, non working navigation system)

High running costs

Car body, particular the front, gets damaged very easily by chippings

Do not count on much support from the manufacturer if any problems arises after the expiration of their (mean) 2 year warranty (Note: a KIA comes with a 7 year warranty; why can't the Germans do better than two years?). You are on your own in the cold and that's where it quickly gets very expensive....

Summary:
When I purchased this car, I thought it was the right decision from the standpoint of my heart and my head. I got it wrong on the latter, though as this car proved surprisingly unreliable.

Soapkng

July 9, 2006

Price Paid:  $53000.00 from Dealer in Newport Be

2001 911 Cabrio

Strengths:
Drives like a dream (though I have some vibration in the steering and found the left front tire is bad, so I have two new fronts on order). Easy to drive daily, car is solid for a ragtop, looks are, well, hot! Brakes are amazing! And, boy, do I look good! It only had 7,600 miles on it when purchased...so it's basically new - and it is/was mint (already have one small parking ding...damn it!

Weaknesses:
Can't find enough excuses to go for a drive (well, ok, I can).
The stereo sucked - I immediately put in a Pioneer Nav/DVD, but now I have to upgrade the cheap-ass speakers and get an amp too since, wow, the speakers are so unbelievably bad (and, since the top's down most of the time, I can't hear/enjoy my music!). WIthin one week of owning it my remote key died (not just the battery) and it cost $300 to replace it! Also, one of the flaps (on the top) broke...but it's only cosmetic and would probably cost too much to bother to fix. Seats don't adjust high enough (may just have to get used to it).

Summary:
Love it, love it! My first Porsche and I'm sorry I waited this long (well, couldn't afford it until now). I'll be 40 in 6 months so it was time!

Nothing like this to-date....

John Cardella

May 16, 2001

6 months to 1 year

Review 5 of 29 , from Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

2001 911

Strengths:
Engine, breaks and trans. Handles like a dream and plenty of stopping power. Fast and a pleasure to drive.

Weaknesses:
Plastic rear window on cab will fog up. Looks awful.

Summary:
Big bucks but worth it. Highly recommend. The fit and finish are first rate. A classic that should depreciate slowly.

None