Porsche 944 (1991 and older)

More products from Porsche >>
944 (1991 and older) MSRP: $

The Porsche 944 was manufactured for the 1982-1991 model years, making its debut in the United States as a 1983 model. The predecessor to the 944 is the 924, and its successor is the 968.

The 944 is a front-engined, rear wheel drive, 2+2 seater, with a rear-mounted transmission. This configuration results in near perfect 50-50 weight distribution. Over the years, the 944 was made available in turbocharged and DOHC varieties. Car and Driver 10 Best in 1983, 1984, 1985, and 1986.

woodsguy

January 14, 2004

Strengths:
Great car for those that must own a Porsche on a Corolla budget.

Weaknesses:
Slow and unreliable.

Summary:
Hmmm... 7 reveiews all on the same day with perfect scores? Sounds a little fishy to me. My friend had a 944. Bought it just so he could say he owned a Porsche. It was a slow, ugly, unreliable piece of junk.

Adam Hagar

January 30, 2001

More than 3 years

Review 2 of 125 , from Bellevernon P.a

Strengths:
I upgraded it with Porsche twin turo's, and an advanced racing suspension,and bbs racing wheels. i raced a brand new Corvette zo6 off the showroom floor and wentto a track. He accelerated quicker, but when we go to corner one i dumped the clutch an dwen tinto third gear(power gear) and just smoked him, I haven tdrove a car that could handle the way min e does. A radar caught me doin 192mph in a 65, how crazy is that!

Weaknesses:
If i could find one id tell you, its one pist off mother F***ker!

Summary:
I would recomend it for people who want a exotic car who don twant to break their bank account, an dwith some added performance parts, you will be driving the fastest car around.

It compares really good for the price, it is a true exotic work of art.The only street race I lost was to a Lamborghini Diablo, an dmine was alot cheaper.

H P

July 18, 2000

Review 3 of 125 , from Seattle

1992 944 S2

Strengths:
I love the feel, and the handling. The NA 3.0L is no slouch either. I can take most non-turbo cars on the road and watch out on those curves!

Weaknesses:
Cost of maintainence. 2K to get the car up to snuff (belts, water pump, filters, etc). But still very worth it.

Summary:
I paid about 14K for the car. For a 9 year old car it is great shape, but needs a few cosmetic things (aside from the mechanical noted above). I just replaced the boot shifter and the seal around the rear hatch lock. I still need to re-do the steering while and replace the cracked dash. The center console needs replacement. But over all, with 73K, this is a great car!

911SC, ThunderBird Turbo

Riaz Hassim

October 6, 2010

Price Paid:  $120000.00 from Private seller

1991 944S2 Cabriolet

Strengths:
Fast, reliable, oustanding roadholding and a dream to drive.
After 20 years the build quality stands out compared to ther cars from that time.
I was in the market for a Mercedes SL 320, but the 944 Cab is a drivers car which is much more fun. Even my wife who could'nt give a toss about cars loves this car.

Weaknesses:
Maintenance can be a bit expensive but this is not too bad as long as you ensure that she is kept in good running order and serviced once a year.

Summary:
I bought this car as something to use over weekends. Now I have a hard time deciding on whether to use my 5 series BMW which is two years old or my 20 year old Porsche during the week.

I had to fly across South Africa from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth to pick up the car and took my wife along. I went as far as taking out a roadside assistance 'insurance' just in case we had a breakdown and packed overnight bags for us....after all this car was almost 20 years old. For the first 120 kms I kept to a safe 100km/h but two hours into the journey a was doing a steady 160 to 180 km/h and the car handled perfectly. The trip which was some 900km proved to me that the S2 cabriolet is a true GT which really handles like a dream on long distances. There was no need for the roadside assistance 'insurance' or the overnight bags as we made it home safe and sound with plenty of time to spare.
It goes without saying that driving the top down is sunny South Africa is the way to go with the Porsche and we often just take the car out for long drives over the weekends. The bucket seats have enough space for my two sons who love the car. I hope to keep this car for a very loooong time.

If you can find one in good condition with full service history it is worth a buy. I looked at two ther models which had been driven hard and needed considerable work before opting for the one I have now.

911s, BMWs, Nissans, Subaru's

jch

June 9, 2007

Price Paid:  $9100.00 from Local user car deale

1991 Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet

Strengths:
Styling, reliability, performance, value

Weaknesses:
Some low-quality interior components. Complex and tight quarters in the engine compartment make repairs/maintenance difficult. Expensive replacement parts.

Summary:
Three years ago, I was looking to buy a used Mustang convertable, mainly because at 6'3" tall, I don't fit into a lot of smaller sports cars. After test driving a few Ponys, I remarked to a friend that I really wished Porsche had made a convertable 944, because that was what I really wanted (I had no idea at the time that they had).

That very day, I saw a '91 944S2 Cabrio with 99K miles on a lot at a local used car dealer. "Fate" I said, and after a 30-minute, white-knuckle test drive, it didn't take much of a sales pitch to agree on a price, hand over the cash, and drive it off the lot.

The car had been "well-used", and it does (still) require a lot of minor maintenance, most of which I have learned to do myself because of the cost. But the body, undercarriage, and motor are in top shape for a car this age. And it is a blast to drive. It handles amazingly well, and the 3.0L 4-cyl engine provides enough power to make it fun, but not too much power to get into trouble.

Like most front-engine sports cars, it has a noticible understeer, which again helps keep one out of trouble at the expense of a little nimbleness (unlike it's rear-engine Carrera cousins).

And as other reviewers have pointed out: even at 16-years-old, it's styling sure turns a lot of heads! (A lot more than would have turned for that Mustang!) Given that this car can be had for under $12000 for one in excellent condition, I can't think of a better buy for the sports car enthusiast on a budget.

1973 MGB GT, 1985 Toyota Celica GT convertible, 2001 Volvo C70 HT Convertible