Porsche 968 (1995 and older)

More products from Porsche >>
968 (1995 and older) MSRP: $

The 968 is available with a 3.0L, 4 cylinder with 236 hp. 4 wheel ABS is standard and options include automatic or manual transmission.

The Porsche 968 was sold from 1992 to 1995, and marketed as the replacement for the Porsche 944. When production ceased in 1995, it represented the end of a line started almost 20 years earlier with the introduction of the Porsche 924.

The 968's styling somewhat resembled the 928 although it looks considerably more like a blend of the 993 911, which did not appear until the end of the 968's production and a 944 S2. Like the 944, the 968 was sold as both a coupe and a convertible. Much of the 968's chassis was carried over from the 944S2, which in itself shared many components with the 944 Turbo (internally numbered 951). Borrowed components include the Brembo-sourced 4-piston brake calipers on all four wheels, aluminum semi-trailing arms and aluminum front A-arms, used in a MacPherson strut arrangement. The galvanized steel Unibody structure was also very similar to that of the previous models.

Over the 4 years of production, only a little over 12,000 cars were sold worldwide, with less than 5,000 shipped to the North American continent.

C Wade

September 29, 2001

Review 1 of 18 , from CA.

Price Paid:  $31000.00 from California - MSRP 63

1995 968 Cabriolet

Strengths:
Power, panache, exclusivity, handling, room for my tennis racquets, and a couple of coolers, top down screamer. A great triple black. This is a keeper. Too bad Porsche didn''t continue this one - but not bad for the owners.

Weaknesses:
Maintenance cost, the rear boot cover never stays on ( I leave it off),the door taches sometimes get stuck with the cables stretching.

Summary:
I''ve owned muscle cars and luxury cars, but nothing compares to this porsche. I bought it with only 15000 miles on it 2 years old. It has the looks to kill for, speed , handling and with good care pretty trouble free. It is a head turner, and very exclusive. I bought it because it was a classic the day it left the manufacturer. The elegance of the 968, the power to beat a boxter out of its box, and many 911''s- chips for me! the 911 heritage the racing seats, great brakes, and average gas mileage. It is very stable at higher speeds.

911, 67 Corvette, 71 Monte Carlo SS 454, Impala SS 64 409, Mazda Rx7 Turbo

huflungdung

January 7, 2002

Review 2 of 18 , from Alameda, CA

Price Paid:  $28000.00 from used from original o

1994 Coupe

Strengths:
Without question, the best handling Porsche built. These are high quality cars that,with proper maintenance, will deliver very reliable performance. I find fuel consumption to be more than adequate given the cars performance. For the price, I don''t think there is anything else available in the market place that offers the combination of performance, comfort, safety, reliability, and pure pleasure. The quality of fit and finish is superior, mine looks as if it came off the showroom floor yesterday.

Weaknesses:
Replacement part cost is high. Engine overhaul has the potential to be very expensive. Some have experienced drive pinion failures, very costly to repair. I''ve heard people complain that the cost of routine maintenance is expensive and therefore a weakness. People who buy high performance cars and expect to do no more routine maintenance than you would for a Toyota Camery probably should own a Toyota instead. It has been my experience that high performance machinery typically requires a higher degree of maintenance, but that is not a weakness.

Summary:
The 968 is one of, if not the rarest production Porsches made. I am constantly asked if I want to sell the car. I have the car maintained by an independent shop that specializes in water cooled Porsches. I have had no significant mechanical failures and the car is my daily driver. My mechanic says that based on his experience with the 944 series cars I can expect to go 250,000 to 300,000 miles with no major engine work as long as I keep the car well maintained. Buy one if you can find one, they become harder to find as time goes on.

1983 Porsche 944. I owned this car for 10 years, put more than a 150,000 miles on it and sold it to a friend has over 225,000 on it. Car has required no engine or transmission work other than clutch

Adam Nadem

July 10, 2000

Review 3 of 18 , from Vancouver,b.c.- canada

1994 /968 Coupe

Strengths:
This car's a real looker! Wherever I go with it, heads turn. My 6-speed model came with the 17" wheels, sport bucket seats and color-matched rear spoiler.The handling is superb and the communicative steering and shifter feel are second to none. Performance modifications on my car have brought up the horsepower to @ 260hp.The excellent power-to-weight ratio has helped me leave many an M3 and 5.0 Litre fading in my rear-view mirror. As satisfying a ride as any high end sports car.

Weaknesses:
Although there's little to dislike, I'd have to say the maintenance costs and fuel economy are real wallet killers. Also, I've noticed the air conditioning system has trouble keeping up on real scorching hot days.

Summary:
I bought mine for $32,000CAN (that's about $21,000US) which included a 3 year after market warranty. This car is great for anyone who wants to step into the lap of luxury but doesn't want to pay the price for it. I would definitely recommend this car as it offers unbelievable value for the dollar. Porsche 968's that are in pristine condition hold their value well and as more enthusiasts realize what a great deal these cars are, the market value will be even more solidified.

If you compare this model with cars in its price range (ie: 328is, older M3's, RX7), there's no question that this car is the king of the hill. If you want another 6 speed, 240 hp car with the fit & finish quality of this model, shell out another $20K on top of what you'd pay for this car.

jazman

December 7, 2003

Price Paid:  $26000.00 from in 1999; Isringhause

1994 Porsche 968

Strengths:
Acceleration 0-60 mph in 6.1 sec with the 6 spd. 240hp, a huge 3.0L inline 4 cyl engine than pulls like a team of oxen. Slick 6 spd manual. Strong braking, flat cornering, perfect 50/50 weight balance front to rear. A joy to drive fast and on the twisties. Steering is perfectly balanced at road speeds. This is the best handling car I have ever driven. And I've driven a lot. Beautifully styled and not a car you'll see everyday on the road. Beautiful fit and finish and excellent materials inside and out. The paint is perfectly executed. The interior is rich but not over-stated in a most Teutonic way. For a sub-compact sport car, amazingly roomy in the hatch. Comfortable enough as a daily driver.

Weaknesses:
Not cheap to maintain, but what do you expect of a Porsche. Seats could use more lumbar support. Factory radio and speakers a little weak. Steering is a tad heavy at parking lot speeds when compared to newer cars, but at road speeds the steering is perfect.

Summary:
I simply love the styling of this beautiful Porsche, the peak of the front engined 924/944 line of Porsches. This is a rare vehicle in the US with about 2400 units and 12,000 worldwide in coupe and cabriolet form. Exclusivity at a bargain price. My car had 32k miles when I bought it in 1999 and it looked and ran like new then and I have kept it machanically and cosmetically perfect. I show the car at local PCA concours events and it has won various awards, Best of Class, Best of Show, and People's choice awards. In Guards Red this car is eye candy at it's best. The 968 is so uncommon on the street, I have been asked more than once if the car is a Ferrari! The front end styling is nearly identical to 911s of it's day, with a scrumptiously rounded butt reminiscent of the 928. This is a great car for sports cars enthusiasts, for Porsche enthusiasts or first time Porsche buyers (Be sure to buy one that has been lovingly maintained. As with any Porsche, a poorly maintained example is the wrong example). Not recommended for people who do not enjoy driving.

87 Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro, 93 Audi 100CS, 02 Audi A6 4.2, 01 Audi S4, 2004 BMW 530i.

Jon Goldsmith

May 21, 2003

Price Paid:  $21000.00 from in 1998, just sold f

Strengths:
Power, handling, styling, exclusivity, reliability, resale value. (Oh yes, practicality. You can also fit a 9 foot fishing pole inside the coupe with the rear hatch closed. This is the perfect vehical.)

Weaknesses:
I went through four sets of high performance tires while I owned the car. Is that a weakness? You will spend money changing oil, other fluids and timing belts. Considering how well the resale value holds up, this car was actually incredibly inexpensive to operate over the four years I had it.

Summary:
Read the other review, I will just be echoing them. The 968 is a rare, fantastic sports car that is also eminently practical and suitable for everyday use. I owned my 1993 Coupe for four years and put 40,000 miles on it with no mechanical problems and I can honestly say that almost every time I got in the car it put a smile on my face. Fast enough, incredible handling, a 3 liter four-banger with 75 ft-lbs of torque per liter! Did I mention superb, timeless styling? Totally exclusive! I can not tell you how many times I left the car with the valets at some of the best restaurants and hotels in Los Angeles only to find it parked right out in front with the most expensive and exotic cars imaginable when I came out. I sold it because fortune has smiled on me and I can now afford a new 911 but I still miss the hatch-back. Buy one of these cars if you can find one: the 968's are absolutely great cars.

'02 Porsche 911, '87 Porsche 911, '83 Fiat 2000 Spider