Toyota MR2

More products from Toyota >>
MR2 MSRP: $ 14900.00

The Toyota MR2 is a mid engined, rear-wheel drive, 2-seater sports car manufactured by Toyota Motors Corporation of Japan. Mark I, II and III are the three commonly known generations of MR2. The Mark I or the first generation is produced from 1985 to 1989. It uses two types of engine such as the normally aspirated version manufactured from 1985-1989 and the supercharged version produced from 1985-1989.

Produced from 1990-1995 and extended until 1999 for Japan and other countries is the second generation MR2 or the Mark II. It comes equipped with two engine versions, the normally aspirated manufactured from 1990-1995 and the turbocharged produced from 1990-1995. The third generation or Mark III commonly known as the MR2 Spyder is considered as the first convertible model. It is produced from 2000 with its normally aspirated and turbocharged engine version. Its classic creation is better known to be boosted by MR2 Toyota Parts. Fit, precise, and top-quality are the distinct characteristics of these parts.

rcgoodhue

July 25, 2003

Review 1 of 144 , from NY, NY

Price Paid:  $24385.00 from Toyota of Stamford

2001 Toyota

Strengths:
Fast, stylish, attention getter, great on gas mileage, great price, easy to put the top down, smooth and easy shifting

Weaknesses:
Loud cabin, absoutely no trunk space (but that's not why you buy this car), tough to drive in the grooves from tractor trailors worn into the highways b/c of the narrow wheel width, huge blind spots with top up, cannot drive over 60mph in rain and forget about the snow

Summary:
Despite the fact that I am in love with this car, I unfortunately happened to buy a cursed one. In it's short life, I have run over a high curb which dented the radiator leaving me with no coolant causing my engine to seize while driving on the Saw Mill (very tight, winding road with no shoulder or street lights). But don't let me leave out that five minutes before the engine seized, I accidentally (!!!) hit a huge raccoon at about 65 mph. Fast-forward to two months later, I have a new front end and a new short block engine. The car should be good as new. Well... Westchester Toyota (horrible service center, by the way) never did a rear wheel alignment after they replaced the engine (the entire wheel chassis must be removed to do any engine work) so my tires were completely bald on the outside due to uneven wear. So I had tires replaced. A few months later, driving down another dark road at 3am, I hit a deer, and not a baby deer, but a full-grown deer. One perk about this car being so low to the ground, I took out the deer's legs and it literally bounced right over the car. There was no damage to my windshield or my roof. Again, I have the front end replaced. Now I'm faced with rear tires that are still wearing unevenly and a mysterious oil leak that no one can find the source of. In short, this little car has put up with a lot of abuse and while I have to get rid of it as soon as possible for fear of losing my life and the threat of hitting another poor defenseless animal, I'm really, really going to miss this car. She, I call her Rosie short for Rosalita, is so fun to drive. People always ask me about the car. They have no idea what it is after they realize that it isn't a Porsche Boxster. People shout to me from their cars at 70mph saying how hot the car looks. The car has protected me from the elements and major run-ins with large animals. I may just cry when I hand over the keys. If I could only say one thing about this car, it would be: Buy this for weekend fun in the sun because it's a great deal but do not expect to use all year long in Northeast-type climate.

Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Mark Hurlen

July 19, 2001

Review 2 of 144 , from Arlington, VA, USA

2001 MR2 Spyder

Strengths:
Sleak lines, unique look, terrific grip, outstanding sound, serious gas mileage, glass rear window and a roomy interior for a roadster.

Weaknesses:
Pack light. Right now, it only sells at MSRP, but it's not unreasonable and you get plenty bang for the buck. The only change I would recommend is to light up/outline the door lock/unlock switch and power mirror switch similar to the driver's side power window switch.

Summary:
I've wanted an MR2 since they first came out. The wedge aerodynamics really caught me eye. Took one for a test ride and never forgot how much fun it was. It was a roadster and your fears were the only limitation to what it could do. Didn't make enough to afford one then and, later, when they got turbocharged, it didn't appeal to me. Now that I'm older and wiser and exercise better judgment, I figured screw it. When you get to the pearly gates you're goin' to be buck naked, so you might as well get it now. My 2001 MR2 is liquid silver. The MR2 comes with practically every option and looks good from any angle, top up or down. When you're driving the new MR2 it is one of those cars that intimately surrounds you and becomes an extension of yourself. It's quiet enough with the top up and you don't get blown away when it's down. Like you'd really care. It doesn't feel small, just nimble. There's nothing cheap about it. It's not special off the line (7-8 secs to 60). It's power is in the way in rides and corners and in the way it accelerates at higher speeds to leave most anything else behind. When I say corner, I mean just that. It does corners and narrow country roads in a way you've never experienced. The engine has a bass growl to it that really turns you on. The top is manual, but it's a snap to put up or take down. There is no trunk, but so what. There's enough space behind the sports bucket seats to put stuff in, the glove compartment is pretty big, there's a neat compartment centerd in the dash under the front window, and, if you take the spare out of the front, you've got room for more junk. The amber lighting is easy on the eyes and the AM/FM/CD/Tape Player sounds great. I also like that it's got a glass rear window that's easy to see out of. Every day I look forward to driving my MR2. It is a ride you want to hang on to forever. If you don't know what I mean, you need to find out.

P.S. The MR2 is supposed to compete with the Miata. There is no comparison. Put the two together and drive them both and you'll see.

The MR2 Spyder is a roadster. A lot of thought went in to it and it's got style. It compares with the Honda S2000, BMW Z3 and the Audi TT.

Eric

May 12, 2001

Review 3 of 144 , from MD

Strengths:
This car handles really well. The mid-engine position and driver layout lead to tremendous control.

Weaknesses:
Needs a higher 5th gear or a 6th. Top end is limited for highway driving.

Summary:
For the money, this car is hard to beat.

None

kenneth keniff

July 10, 2001

Review 4 of 144 , from keneticat

Price Paid:  $19000.00

Strengths:
the grannys bounce of the car

Weaknesses:
there are none

Summary:
i think it is hot i have manage to run over about fifteen granny because of the pace of the car

its great ted

Stefano Vedani

July 17, 2001

More than 3 years

Review 5 of 144 , from Genova - Italy

1995 Toyota MR2 Gti-16 175 hp

Strengths:
The look is wonderful (a mini Ferrari);The seat position is perfect: very low on the ground and vertical steering wheel(is it right?); Very good handling and accelleration. But to describe "her", i need just two words: simply perfect!!

Weaknesses:
I need more horses in my engine and biggest tires; in Italy it's very difficult to find parts for this car (I wanted a biggest rear wing,but I don't know where I can find it)

Summary:
"SHE"is the best sport car you can buy before having a Ferrari.
I love driving around with my Dark Lady ("She" is black): the fun, the sensation "She" gives to me are incredible.
"She" has a good acceleration, but the best qualities are handling and manouvrability; when you drive you can feel every reaction of the car, every change on the street surface, so all your senses are alive and you can appreciate the real sense of driving.
With this car it's not about how fast you drive, it's about how you drive fast!!
A lot of people think that with a nice car you can have all the girls you want; but with a car like this, who needs a girl?
(Post scriptum: What do you think about the new MR2 Spider? I think it's rubbish!!)

I drove:Porsche Carrera 4,Mercedes SL 320, Audi TT.More power but not the same sensation and feeling. MR2 is the best!!