2009 Land Rover Discovery

More products from Land Rover >>
Discovery MSRP: $ 34775.00

The Discovery is powered by a 16-valve V-8 with 188 hp and a 4-speed automatic transmission. It's 4 wheel drive and newly redesigned. ABS is standard.

gpp

September 29, 2004

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Land Rover CherryHil

2004 disco se7

Strengths:
-High seating is great. -Off road performance is great, but it's also far and away the best car I've used in the hurricane rain. -Quirky Brit character is endearing. -Hate to admit it really draws applause from others. -Interior leather quality is very nice. -Jump seats are great with kids. -ACE is just awesome. Cornering is unbelievable with very little body roll. -Straightforward mechanics (I found roverparts.com and I'm planning to use it for do-it-yourself issues that arise). -Solid axles. The wheel articulation is just incredible. -Great dealership: extremely helpful, patient and no pressure. -It's not the LR3. This really was the last chance to own a classic utility vehicle.

Weaknesses:
-Cramped rear seating. -Steering wheel should be about an inch higher. -Gas consumption. -Noisy. -18" tires are a problem for offroad use. If you want to double as a serious offroad car, you need to buy a second set of wheels/tires. I have yet to test deflated 18" tires on beach sand. I'm guessing this won't result in pinch flats. -silly nickle and dime charges (160 for mats). When you're at this price point, the last thing that a dealer/manufacturer should do is try to sneak in unseemly charges. -surface corrosion should not be present on a new vehicle, regardless of whether it is shipped across the Atlantic. This appeared to be true on all new discos I looked at to some extent. Not a problem, but also not acceptable.

Summary:
I will certainly update if the car shows reliability problems, but overall we love it. Put a 1000 miles on her in the first week, plan to drive the heck out of it. It's comfortable, has panache, love the drive, and actually will use it frequently for moderate offroad travel. I struggled with this purchase decision, but decided to give it a go based on discussions with other disco owners. I definitely recommend finding and talking with truck owners. It's so completely unlike anything else out there that it's easy to know whether you want one or not after a few test drives. It's not for people looking for a car-based SUV. I gave it a top recommendation, but that's assuming that you don't want a car-based SUV with simple AWD. It won't perform on-road like a car. I gave it a top recommendation on price because showing up at the dealer gets you (currently) at least 6K off MSRP, making the disco competitively priced. The LR3 is looking like it's going to be 10K more, so 2004 offers a great value (plus the LR3 is largely a street/touring vehicle; I think the disco handles street/touring well, but it's still at heart an offroad monster).

93 Chevy S10 Blazer (absolute junk) 04 Toyota 4Runner (solid and very reliable)

2004 Land Rover Discovery

Strengths:
Luxury, space, power, on and off road capability. Best looking. Best interior.

Weaknesses:
Fuel economy could be better.

Summary:
I think the Discovery is being unfairly maligned in this forum. I have found only one problem from the factory - the sunroof switch plate had to be replaced and the dealer did that, no problem. We've put about 2,000 miles on it in a month and absolutely LOVE the car. It is AWESOME. I find it comfortable, it handles well (70mph in curves without a problem), etc. Some of you had problems putting it in 4wd - HELLO - it is FULL TIME 4WD! Some of you think it has a bouncy ride - not on NYC streets - we have the toughest streets in the US and it smooths them out very well. I really cannot find any faults with the car. The fit and finish are luxurious. The engine is the same I had in my Triumph TR8 - basically bullett proof - in fact, this engine was sold to Rover from Buick under pressure from the US steel industry because it is aluminum and outperformed all other steel blocks at the time. Some of you had electrical problems - well your battery will go dead if you don't use it, and that will require a reset of the central locking system. Others of you will take the car into salt water - of course you will corrode your electrical system! If you abuse the machine then it will break, but if you don't abuse it then it won't break. Just to let you know - someone from Brooklyn asked why doesn't a German company buy them - well they DID - BMW who redesigned the Discovery and then sold Land Rover to Ford in 2000 I believe. I have found most vehicular problems are due to abuse or neglect - usually OWNER error or bad service. I have had none so far.

Suburban, Suzuki Samurai, Suzuki Vitara, Mercedes G500, Ford Excursion, Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

2004 Land Rover Discovery

Strengths:
Luxury, space, power, on and off road capability. Best looking. Best interior.

Weaknesses:
Fuel economy could be better.

2004 Land Rover Discovery

Strengths:
Luxury, space, power, on and off road capability. Best looking. Best interior.

Weaknesses:
Fuel economy could be better.

chemist44

February 23, 2004

Price Paid:  $25000.00 from Lan Rover Asheville

2003 Land Rover Discovery

Strengths:
Traction Control Hill decent control Four-channel ABS braking with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)

Weaknesses:
Gas Hog Rear seat ingress/egress difficult

Summary:
I bought this car for it's off road performance, as I live on the road less traveled (3000 ft elevation on steep mountain road). The traction control and hill decent control are wonderful for negotiating steep snow covered roads. There is nothing like it for harsh driving conditions, having left Lexus and BMW SUV's stuck as I roll on by, however you sacrifice some on road comfort. If you are using it for around town driving, get the Lexus...if you want to conquer the mountain, there is no equal.

Ford Explorer....no comparison