2009 Mercury Mountaineer

More products from Mercury >>
Mountaineer MSRP: $ 26050.00 - $ 31740.00

The 2008 Mountaineer is a 4-door, up to 7-passenger sport-utility, available in 6 trims, ranging from the 4X2 Base 4.0L to the AWD Premier 4.6L.

Upon introduction, the 4X2 Base 4.0L is equipped with a standard 4.0-liter, V6, 210-horsepower engine that achieves 15-mpg in the city and 21-mpg on the highway. A 5-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is standard. The AWD Premier 4.6L is equipped with a standard 4.6-liter, V8, 292-horsepower engine that achieves 14-mpg in the city and 20-mpg on the highway. A 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is standard.

The 2008 Mountaineer is a carryover from 2007.

jvredex

August 6, 2005

Price Paid:  $28000.00 from Autoway lincoln Merc

2005 Mercury/Mountaineer

Strengths:
Styling, gadgets, comfortable interior, powerful (V8)

Weaknesses:
Poor interior fit. Many rattles & squeeks.

Summary:
Lured by the "Family Price", looks (all black) and gadgets (sat radio, auto this and that, etc.), and an attempt to buy American I traded my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder for a Mountaineer Premier. Big mistake. This heap is riddled with rattles and squeaks and they are iincreasing almost daily. Took it back to the dealer to fix a particularly annoying one but there are too many to tackle and I know it will be a losing battle to correct. I feel that this situation is indicative of American auto manufacturers poor guality and does not bode well in their efforts to regain market share. Never again!

Bobby

December 30, 2003

Price Paid:  $33000.00 from Germain Lincoln Merc

2004 Mountaineer Luxury Pkg

Strengths:
Enterior and Interior finish. Handling, cornering, acceleration,and down right goor looks.

Weaknesses:
Seating adjustments were a little too weak, Would have appreciated if the seating would have been more adjustable. what saved me was the fact that the pedals were all adjustable. Never thought that would have made a difference. But. I still sat way too high for my liking.

Summary:
Well folks.......I did it last night. I left a deposit on the 2004 Mountaineer, after taking a test drive. Loved the way it handled, and accelerated. The exterior "fit and finish" was terrific, so was the interior. I opted for the burl wood interior that totally made the interior look like a super luxury SUV. Orderd this one with the AWD & V8. Couldn't believe how many options were standard on this vehicle. The bootm line was the 0% financing for 5 years, along with the various other incentives that Mercury offered. And to think i was jsut about to buy the new SRX from Cadillac.

Mercedes Benz "M" series SUV. Ford Bronco

pfalco5

October 1, 2006

Price Paid:  $30050.00 from leith mercury

2003 mountaineer premier

Strengths:
towing, power, appointments,

Weaknesses:
gas guzzler and now expensive brake work!

Summary:
pretty good. the tires lasted to 45000 miles. when i went to replace i asked that the brakes be inspected. i walked out w an additional $630 taken from my wallet. seems they say all four rotors had to be replaced, cld not be turened down. this was explained as they have gone european style, softer rotors for better braking. anybody agree no way to re use rotors for this or maybe also on eddie bauer explorer?

ford explorer XLS, Ford taurus

Patrick

July 11, 2003

Review 4 of 46 , from Dothan, Alabam

Price Paid:  $28000.00 from Mitchel Mazda Lincol

Strengths:
Effortless steering! Tires run great in heavy rain. V8 power. Dual-zone air-conditioning, power leather seats w/memory, power adjustable pedals w/memory, premium sound w/in-dash 6 CD (good bass), third row seating (and access), and steering wheel buttons for air/sound/cruise. Passengers love the rear overhead A/C controls. The V8 has plenty of power for hills and passing. Auto-dimming mirror is great. Wife loves the handy entry assist handle and running boards to get in! I also like the larger rear-hatch window, which we use more than the lift-gate.

Weaknesses:
Only one major one, really, although not unexpected: the V8's gas mileage. Averaging 15.8-18.8. Expected a little better since I don't consider myself heavy footed on the gas. Transmission clunks when putting it in gear, but the book warns you about that (learning mode). Brake pedal is a little spongy, although braking is good. I wish the antenna was power so I wouldn't have to remove it at automatic car washes. Also, it puzzles me why we are charged $60 extra for the roof rack cross members. Why would you have just the roof rack rails w/o the cross members anyway?

Summary:
I bought the Luxury Pkg and I am really enjoying it! Third vehicle I bought from this dealer, plus rebates, got me a great price. Had a tough time choosing between the Explorer Eddie Bauer and Mountaineer. But, the styling and third-row seating helped sway me. To me, the styling is better, more refined, than the Explorer. Fit and finish are outstanding. It is fairly quiet, with little wind or engine noise (except while accelerating). The V8 has plenty of power for hills and passing. Visibility is excellent forward, but when backing up it is harder to see. I've had no reliability problems although I have put only 2500 miles on it so far. I really like the dual-zone A/C, since I like it cooler than my wife, when I'm driving. It drives really well, and the new suspension is very smooth. Much better than the older Explorers and Mountaineers. Braking is good, and you don't get that feeling that it's hard to stop, but the pedal is a little spongy. OK, as a pilot, I really like the message center, which gives me gas mileage, miles to empty, trip OD, systems status (fuel, low fuel warning, oil pressure, oil change due warning, electrical, engine temperature), and has a compass! Very comfortable 2nd row seating. Your family will love you for driving them it!

'98 Explorer Eddie Bauer, '01 Mazda Tribute (I enjoyed the Tribute, but found the cargo space was too small, and it was noisy).

Phil Schwartz

January 17, 2004

Price Paid:  $21500.00 from Baystate Lincoln-Mer

2002 Mountaineer Premier V8

Strengths:
Great size, fit and finish, tight tuning circle for a vehicle this size. I love the backup warning divice.

Weaknesses:
ROUGH RIDE, hard seats, gas milage

Summary:
Bought 2002 Mountaineer with 28000 miles on it at a great price. I like everything about the vehicle except the extremely rough ride. Even modest bumps seem to be magnified. I find that I am getting motion sick and headaches at times. I am hoping that someone has had the same problem and has found a way to correct it. I really want to like this vehicle.

1997 Nissan Pathfinder