Porsche Cayenne 2004 - 2010

More products from Porsche >>
Cayenne 2004 - 2010 MSRP: $

The 1st generation Porshe Cayenne was Porsche's first SUV. Adhering to Porsche performance principals and the true purpose of an SUV, the Cayenne was an able performer on all fronts. Capable of tackling serious off-road terrain and deliver sporting fun on the tarmac, the Cayenne proved to be a winner despite the Porsche purists crying foul.

The all-wheel drive, five-passenger Porsche Cayenne is available in a V6, an S, a GTS, a Turbo and a Turbo S trim. The V6 is powered by a 290-hp 3.6-liter V6 engine. The S and the GTS are powered by a normally aspirated 4.8-liter V8 with 385-hp for the S and 405-hp for the GTS. The Turbo and Turbo S are powered by a twin-turbocharged 4.8-liter V8 with 500-hp for the Turbo and 550-hp for the Turbo S. Notable features available on the Cayenne include: Porsche Stability Management (PSM), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), a conventional moonroof or a panoramic roof system, Bi-Xenon headlamps, power memory seats, 4-zone climate control and a Bose surround sound system.

banyanboy

January 8, 2007

2004 Cayenne S

Strengths:
Good looks/Head turner
Powerful engine
Solid handling
Comfortable ride
Beautiful interior
It's a PORSCHE

Weaknesses:
Price
Not enough std options

Summary:
Many have mistaken that the Cayenne is the same as Touareg, which is so far from the truth.

Cayenne "S" unlike the Cayenne, DOES NOT share the same engine with the VW.

Cayenne "S" has a bona fide Porsche engine and Porsche handling. It handles like a sports sedan and has excellent off-road capabilities.

This is the best SUV money can buy and the best SUV ever built!

BMW X5

nalla

July 10, 2005

Price Paid:  $60500.00 from Isringhausen Imports

2004 Cayenne S

Strengths:
Handling: This car is so stable on the road, it does not shake at 155mph. Yes I have done it. This is solid, no loose parts! Pick up is like a true sports vehicle. This car drives like nothing I have seen. Surprised to see several comments about lack of reliability. Had this car for 18months. Took to the dealer once for scheduled minor maintenace around one year from purchase!

Weaknesses:
Price. But you really get what you pay for. Recommond at least V8 S model.

Summary:
The best SUV among all I test drove. I mean I did drive every Luxury SUV in market.

Tested VW Toureg(same body as Cayenne, Lexus, Range Rover, BMW X5.

MK1

January 7, 2005

Price Paid:  $60000.00 from ira porsche audi

2004 Porsche Cayenne S

Strengths:
Appearance, handling

Weaknesses:
At about 20k miles, here are the common electrical problems, I've had them all. Amplifier needed to be replaced-sometimes the radio thinks it is being stolen, turns on and no sound comes out. According to dealership-don't know why, happens a lot. Settings get deleted, I like the remote to open all doors-randomly resets to driver door only. Clock randomly resets time. Common problem with left directional. I needed last week to have the entire computer replaced as the odometer, gas gauge, trip meter just stopped working. Should have looked at the Lexus suv.

Summary:
Beautiful Truck, Fun to Drive and turns heads. But beware it has major quirks and electrical issues in the older models.

none

mixonchik

October 15, 2004

Price Paid:  $900.00 from Leased...

2004 Porsche Cayenne v6/SUV

Strengths:
1. Looks. My Porsche is black on black. It looks mad sexy outside, and I love it inside. Dont get it without navigation, it looks ugly inside. 2. Brand. Porsche. For me Porsche is the second car after Ferrari. When people as you what car you have, you say - Porsche. People go like "oh my god, are u serious?" or "wow for shizzle? hook me up wid dat ride"... and things like that... 3. Sound. Wow. I love the sound. Its not as noisy as G35 and Riced up civics, but the exhaust rews so nice that people around you turn their heads. 4. Reliability. It turned out to be more reliable that my Toyota minivan - passenger side window motor went out within couple of weeks since I bought it. 5. Handling. Oh yeaaaah. handling. Never in my life a drove a car with better handling. No BMW 2,5,6, no 7, no 8, no Mercedes S,E,SLK,CLK, no Cadillacs CTS. No camaros, corvettes and definitely minivans can be compared. I drove all that cars, and Cayenne feels like it is on rails. Handling is one of the best features in the car. You won’t understand it unless u test drive it. Here is a story. Once I was late to my funerals and I had to drive fast. It was raining. It was very very rainy and windy. Everyone was in the right row going like 25 mph on I95. And one crazy Porsche cayenne was in the left row going 105 miles an hour. The car was basically glued to the road. 6. Breaking. Its breaks are the best. Once again, I never saw a car with better brakes. The car can stop from 60 to 0 miles per hour within 111 ft. For your consideration, Ferrari F 50 does that within 119 feet, bmw 745 in 129 feet. Imagine. 7. There are lots of minor things like turning radius, great wipers – best I’ve ever seen, excellent xenon lights, heated seats, mirrors and steering wheel, tilting wheel, comfortable front seats, very sporty suspension, pretty spacious trunk, helpful dealers (I cracked my windshield(while washing the windshield wipers at the gas station) and it was only 200 to replace it. Smooth Trans.

Weaknesses:
Serious weaknesses: 1. v6 is responsive, but not as responsive as I would want it to be. Most 6 cylinder cars are faster. 2. Uncomfortable back seats. The car is mainly for two people. Minor Weaknesses: 3. Way too many people staring you on the streets and keep asking what car is that. 4. Many haters… Someone keyed my car next to the Cayenne sign on the trunk. Fixed that. Killed the hater.

Summary:
Before getting the Porsche I decided to take a look at the reviews and feedbacks on the car. I was amazed at how many people found this car to be unreliable. I leased a cayenne for 3 months, have over 10'000 miles and no problems whatsoever. I went to Florida from New York twice within those three months. The car is a dream. Take a look at strengths for better understanding...

Well, I don’t know if there are similar products. Even though people say that WV Touareg is similar... its not!. The only similar car is probably future Ferrari SUV. But I had many cars, no cars are better than Cayenne. Definately get Cayenne instead some Touregs, FXs, Muranos, X5s, MLs... I love the car.

Lotus540ia

August 22, 2004

2004 Cayenne S

Strengths:
Drives and handles like no other SUV. It feels more like a sports car than a SUV.

Weaknesses:
Too many problems and most of them the dealers can't even fix right cause I think it's more of a design issue. And...how about needing a new set of tires every 10K or so.

Summary:
If I had to do it again, I would wait on buying this Cayenne. Only after all the issues have been solved will I buy one. Porsche has a wonderful product here, but there are still too many issues with it. I don't like the feeling that I am part of Porsche's Research and Develepment Department. It's like, let's put out a product that is not ready yet...but hey, that's OK. We'll make lot's of money and just let the consumers tell us what we still need to fix. I was going to buy the 997 next year...but now I am very scared to buy another Porsche. I understand the risk of buying first or second year production cars (BMW X5 has had many issues too). However, when it comes to issues, the Cayenne is a total joke. Do your own research and you be the judge as to whether you could put up with all the problems (and many can not be fixed!!!) after putting out $70K big ones!!

BMW X5 4.4, Lexus RX300, MB ML430.