Review 1 of 4|
from Langley Suzuki, Lang
Year / Model Reviewed:
2003 4 door
- Low price when compared to competition
- Real 4wd capabilities, with transfer case and 4 low gear
- Decent cargo room (although a little longer than taller would be appreciated!)
- Good fit and finish (seems more expensive than it is)
- Durable and rugged body on frame construction
- Decent drivability (for a small SUV - definately not a car!)
- OK gas milage (again not a car...)
- Cornering is really dicy as body leans a lot. You quickly learn to take corners much slower than you are used to in a car. Rollover potential is there if you push it too hard at high speed
- Jiggly, jittery ride - again a real 4x4 so excusable. But definately does not ride like a cushy car or unibody SUV.
- Other than the above, no other apparent weaknesses so far!
Bought a 2003 base Vitara in February 2004. Price was right - $22,000 CAD. I bought the car for my wife, who was just about to buy a Mazda 3 for almost the same amount of money. I talked her into testing the Vitara and she fell in love with it instantly. Honestly, it looks much more expensive than it is, certainly just as nice as a CRV, RAV4, etc. PLUS it is a real 4 wheeler. So far (with 6,000 miles) we are very happy with our purchase. It is high off the road, gives good visibility and is very comfortable to drive. While not powerful by any means (4 cyl. version), it is no slouch either. In it, it is easy to cruise at 80-90 mph on the highway. The only problem we have had so far was a leaking waterpump, which the dealer pointed out while changing the oil, and fixed it quickly. Happy with that no hassle repair. Bottom line is - very happy customer so far. Yes we haven't had it for long, but so far, so good. I can't believe that other small SUV's are so much more expensive. Not only does the Vitara offer MORE (in the way of real 4wd), it also looks better than the competition in my opinion.
Similar Products Used:
1991 Nissan 4x4 truck