GMC Sierra 1500

More products from GMC >>
Sierra 1500 MSRP: $ 32580.00 - $ 40160.00

The GMC Sierra 1500 is GMC’s half-ton full-size pickup that was redesigned for 2007. Available in Regular Cab, Extended Cab, and Crew Cab versions with a choice of three different box sizes: 5 feet 8 inches, 6 feet 6 inches and 8 feet the Sierra 1500 is completely redesigned with all-new major components, stronger and stiffer fully boxed frame, restyled exterior and more spacious interior.

Expert Reviews: 2011 GMC Sierra - Got Trailer?
Expert Rating: 3.5 stars

"There’s no questioning the quality improvements made across the board with all GM products, and the 2011 Sierra is no exception."

billdavids

June 25, 2004

Price Paid:  $18900.00 from Varney GMC

2004 GMC Sierra 1500, ext cab, 4wd

Strengths:
4.8L engine and transmission handling features (or lack thereof) spacious interior

Weaknesses:
can't get a 5 speed with the V8 AC is so-so, takes a while to cool the cab

Summary:
$18,900 is a great price for this vehicle when new. However, the work trucks can routinely be found for around $20,000 with current rebates, which is still a great price. I've only owned the truck for 2 months, and won't comment on its reliability. This review may help somebody who is currently comparing new trucks, however. This is the stripped work truck. However, I consider rubber floor covering a positive feature for a truck. Further, it's got cloth seating surfaces, AC, full gauges, and intermittent wipers, which makes it a luxury vehicle in my book. However, I do wish it had the fold-down center seat console. The base 4.8L V8 is smooth and powerful, and the automatic transmission shifts smoothly (although I wish GMC offered a 5 speed with this engine). The vehicle handles very well considering it's a truck, and braking is quite good. I prefer a firmer pedal, but there is no question that the brakes are strong. The ride is smooth and fairly firm. Put 1000 lbs. or so in the bed, and it still handles and brakes well. Interior noise is minimal. The cab is well-insulated and sealed. Control ergonomics are good, and the seats comfortable. I don't drive off-road, and can't comment on its 4wd capabilities. However, I do need 4wd for the often brutal Maine winter driving conditions, and we'll see how it does this winter. The simplicity and reliability of the manual transfer case with shift-on-the-fly 4wd in this truck is my preference. For reference, I also test drove the new F150 (comparably equipped work truck) and a base Toyota Tundra SR5 with the V6 and 5 speed (the cheapest version available). Both the Ford and Toyota handled and braked *slightly* better, but had less refined and powerful drivetrains. They both cost about $3k more in my area. The Toyota's back seat is small, and I must put 2 car seats in the rear - that's the only reason I bought a new truck. I also found the Tundra's front seat a bit too low, although I have long legs. The F150 sits higher, which I prefer, but my 5'-2" wife has a hard enough time putting our 2 year old in her car seat as it is. Ultimately, the GMC won on price, drivetrain, and comfort, and it sacrifices very little in other areas compared to the competition. I will say that I am concerned about reliability and longevity, since this is my first departure from Japanese vehicles in 13 years. On the other hand, I have plenty of relatives and friends who've had excellent service from their GMC trucks. Time will tell.

1998 Nissan Frontier 4wd, 5 speed (great vehicle) 1972 Chevy 2wd 1/2 ton with a 350 and a three-speed on the column. Maybe not the best vehicle for me at 16, but it sure taught me defensive driving.

ssharpe

November 16, 2003

Review 2 of 145 , from Milford

Price Paid:  $30000.00 from LaFontaine Highland,

2003 GMC, Sierra, Z-71

Strengths:
Power, Accelaration, Ride, Cab comfort

Weaknesses:
Terrible reliability: A/C was very weak(dealer recalibrated dual controls. It's a little better. TEMP guage didn't work from beginning(Had to take back twice to get this fixed). LEFT R Window had terrible air leak( they fixed that the first time, now the pass. side leaks). Rt Frnt Axle Leaks( Dlr said it replaced the seal. I picked it up, then they called me back & told me that the mechanic FORGOT to re-attach the sway bar. Had to take back for that. Rt Rear door makes knocking and groaning sounds (Dealer says they can't hear it. It would drive any normal person nuts. Will take it back a 2nd time. Four Wheel Drive Service Light came on( Will have to take back). Lots of irritating wind noise at freeway speeds.

Summary:
Truck has great power and provides a great ride however, numerous problems nullify its good points. Only has 25,000 miles on it. What will happen by 50,000? Unless GMC comes through a great offer to make up for all this frustration, I'll never buy another GM product!

99 GMC ( Lemon, got rid of it at 19000, I made a mistake by buying GM a 2nd time) Dodge Dakota( only one problem and it was fixed the first time)

Sledge

September 4, 2005

Price Paid:  $18450.00 from Toyota of Hattiesbur

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE

Strengths:
Cargo room: this is the widebody with the loger bed, I think. Interior room; Gas mileage: pretty good for a truck-21 highway/17 city. My nissan frontier only got about 15-16 mpg.

Weaknesses:
-not really a weakness...but I don't have the extras that show me exact mileage at any time or the premium sound package.

Summary:
I purchased this truck to have more interior room, pretty good fuel economy, more cargo room, dependability and comfort. That's what I have experienced so far. I had a 2001 Nissan Frontier crew cab with the supercharger prior to this one (for about 6 months) and this is a totally different animal. They don't feel anything like each other. This Sierra feels much more solid as it should since it is a fullsize truck. The four doors make the back seat much more accessable. The truck tracks well on the road, allowing me not to have to work hard to keep it between the yellow lines. All in all, this is the nicest truck I have owned and I am very happy with my purchase.

2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab ` 1991 GMC Sierra (sold it with 185,000 miles on it) ` 1985 Chevy Truck LWB ` 1991 Chevy S10 x2

Del Cleland

November 8, 2010

Price Paid:  $36300.00 from private sale

2003 GMC 2500 HD SLT w/duramax diesel

Strengths:
Good power
Cab has lots of room
Smooth ride
Duramax/Allison great drive train combo

Weaknesses:
Nothing you wouldn't expect from a truck with 300,000 km.

Summary:
Bought this truck as a 2 year old used truck with 90,000 km.
Chipped it, added 4 in. exhaust and cool air intake immediately - increased fuel economy to 25 mpg. I have put over 200,000 km. on the truck - replaced all the electronic injectors twice, replaced all the wheel bearing seals twice. Other than that most work has been for wear and tear items. When I first got it, had an annoying clattering noise from engine coming into the cab. It was a fuel rail banging on a heater line - once fixed the problem was gone and never came back. All in all this has been a great truck - I'll buy GMC again, but this one has a good decade left in it.

1994 GMC 6.5 Turbo Ext. Cab SLE

Jeffrey A Bortz

August 28, 2003

Review 5 of 145 , from Pennsylvania

Price Paid:  $41300.00 from Bergey's GMC

2003 Sierra Crew Cab SLT Dura Max

Strengths:
Powerful. Very quiet for a diesel. Allison trans well matched. Astetics. Good dealer tries, But items aren't fixed.

Weaknesses:
Design integrety. Consistent QC. On Star. See Review summary above.

Summary:
My second Sierra. First was a '02. On Star nothing but unresolved problems. Belt noise squeal still in engine. Clicking noise at engine comes & goes. Spring isolators popped out. Front bumper rusting. AC is lousy on hot days.Only works on Rec. HVAC lousy in winter. Doesn't dehumidify. Fuel economy dropped from 19 to 16.5-17.4. Close door, heated seats go on sometimes. Oil pan seal leaks. Differential seal leaks. 4 WD front would engage by itself. Service 4 WD light kept comming on. In shop 6-7 times so far. Only 24,000 miles on it. Traded in a pristine '02 6 liter gas because of way too many similar problems, and poor fuel economy. Hoping Toyota, or Nissan comes out with a full sized crew cab, and similar power train. I'll switch from this Job #1 truck.

'20 Sierra SLT.