2010 Toyota Tacoma

More products from Toyota >>
Tacoma MSRP: $ 15170.00

The Tacoma is Toyota’s compact truck that is in its sixth generation. Available in Regular Cab, Access Cab and 4-door Double Cab configurations, the Tacoma was last redesigned for the 2005 model year.

2005 - 2008 Toyota Tacoma (40 MPH Offset Test) IIHS

Expert Reviews: 2007 Toyota Tacoma

"Although the Tacoma has put on nearly 700 pounds in weight and gotten wider in the hips by nearly five inches, it isn’t any less agile than its predecessor."

Read more>>

Johnny

September 29, 2010

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Texas

2010 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4

Summary:
Too many people are hooked, and buy Toyota vehicles based purely on the PAST credibility and performance of the Toyota brand. I too, almost made the same mistake of buying a new Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 in September 2010 based upon Toyota’s PAST reputation of quality, dependability, and value.

My story starts here - I was at the Toyota dealership, and had my new Toyota truck selected, the purchase price had already been agreed upon, and the money for my truck was ready to be exchanged.

One thing left to do – test-drive the new Tacoma – it had 3 miles on the odometer.

The sales clerk did not accompany my wife and me on the test drive. About ½ mile into the test drive I pressed on the brakes to slow down to make a left turn; to my amazement the brakes were spongy and did not feel solid. I pulled into a parking lot and made several times attempted to brake after driving a short distance – again, spongy brakes. I would press moderately, the brake pedal would depress more than half way, and the truck would just keep rolling along.

We took the truck back to the dealership, and told the sales-man that the brakes did not stop the truck properly and were spongy. The sales clerk went and got a second brand new Tacoma with 2 miles on the odometer, and I drove that truck around the parking lot – again – spongy brakes. In addition, the parking brake is now the type you step on to engage and release. That felt cheap and tinny. After I set the parking brake on the first truck, while I was exiting the truck I kicked the parking brake accidently (base on it poor position) and that was enough to release the parking brake!

I did not buy the Toyota Tacoma! Best decision I ever made, and it saved me a bunch of money as well (compared to the truck I did buy).

Now, in my garage sits a beautiful, brand new 2010 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4x4.

The Nissan truck is extremely well built, feels tight, and has great four-wheel disc brakes with ABS (Tacoma does not have this). The parking brake is where it should be, next to the center console with a pull lever.

My advice to all who are thinking about buying an overpriced, problem laden Tacoma is - do not do it. Go look at Nissan Frontier trucks, and you will thank me for this tip – forever!

Do not buy based a Toyota based upon the PAST reputation of Toyota – go buy a well-built Nissan truck.

By the way, my V6 Nissan Frontier has 30 more horsepower than the Tacoma, has a smooth quiet ride, feels solid, has oil pressure and temperature gages, has a heavy duty aluminum track and bed cleat tie down system, has a fully boxed steel chassis, has a lockable tail gate, and has automatic locking doors that lock after the truck goes 12 miles per hour. The Tacoma does not have any of this, and would have cost about $4500 more than my Frontier.

Do yourself a favor – look at Nissan trucks before you make the mistake of buying a Tacoma; you will not be sorry unless you buy a Tacoma!

Do your own Internet research on Tacoma and Frontier problems – you will find many owner complaints of Tacoma problems, and many very happy Frontier owners with very few problems.

John S

September 18, 2010

2010 Tacoma Extended cab

Strengths:
Car like ride, good sounding stereo.Comfortable seats in front.

Weaknesses:
Back seats a joke, 2.7 engine weak, transmission shifts poorly at times.

Summary:
I bought this truck its my second Tacoma, I owned a 1999 Tacoma but had it on a lease so I have not been driving a truck for a while. I cannot say I am really impressed with this truck. Its bigger then my 1999 and more like a Dakota. But the 2.7 engines mated to the 4 spd Auto is OK but it has some issues. For one the engine feels from a start to have good acceleration. But the transmission shifts too early ( probably for MPG) and that messes up the power band. It also is noisy when accelerating almost like a exhaust leak but it may be just a poorly made muffler. The bucket seats in front are nice, the jump seats in back are not. If your a older child or a adult forget riding in the back very long. Stereo is good sounding and I like the composite truck bed. But tie everything down because its slippery. Somehow I just feel the truck lacks refinement compared to todays vehicles. The engine is a bit rough and noisy the transmission seems outdated and if this were 10 years ago that would be OK. But not anymore. The Tacoma has some nice safety features like ABS and multiple air bags. Even has traction control. But it lacks some things like standard downhill shift for engine braking. All other Toyota's have this. So I think Toyota has a good truck in the Tacoma but its not a great truck anymore.

1999 Toyota Tacoma Standard cab

swiss

September 11, 2010

Price Paid:  $22400.00 from Huntington Beach Toy

2008 Tacoma

Strengths:
Truck has good looking lines; good color and a low entrance and exit level.

Weaknesses:
BAD MILEAGE; Poor acceleration, poor ride, poor interior ( easily marked/scratched by any contact ) ; poor plastic instrument cover ( plastic on speedo is cracked ! ), poor dealership , poor mfg. respose.

Summary:
Purchases 'new' from Huntington Beach Toyota, Calif. . . bad choice.

Problems are
a)MPG is wrong ..not 19-25.. is 12-15
b)Stalls.. anytime.. serious hazard
c)Interior is pitiful, gray stains easily
d)Interior carpets, gray.. in a truck?
e)Alarm..orig on contract for 500 and dealership 'switched' unit for a 99 dollar unit..FRAUD
f)Body/box.. box is uneven..as if frame is bent.
g)Dealership STINKS.. look at other web sites.. and see what others have written
h)Toyota Corp STINKS.. look at other web sites.. and see what others have written

I HAVE THE SAME OPINION..THE DEALERSHIP AND TOYOTA MOTOR CORP>> STINK !

I have had three Toyotoa trucks in the past.. a small work truck in 86 and a T100 in 98.. The T100 was by far the best truck I've ever owned.. and I find the same comment from others who have owned them.. I'd still have it if it weren't for the accident which totaled the truck.. "A RETIRED COP RAN A RED LIGHT AND I T BONED HIM".. Go Figure !

Nigel Parks

December 9, 2008

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Mic Mac Toyota

2008 Access cab

Strengths:
Bodyshell design good with good crash test rating

Weaknesses:
Poor equipment levels, lack of design insight into use of the vehicle as a field office.

Summary:
As a long time driver of European and Japanese cars in Europe, when I moved to North America I expected that the quality and standard of fittings and features of Toyota's would be broably similar to European standards. So far I have been VERY disappointed in my Tacoma. Standard features are very basic to the point that I thought I had been transported back 20 plus years. No intermittent windshield wipe facility ....unbelievable, no ability for the HVAC system to deliver fresh air at face level and heated air to the footwell - dangerous on long journeys inducing driver fatigue. Very poor general storeage room - for anyone wanting to use the truck as their field office Toyota have squandered the chance to add useful stowage ..... yes there are some pockets here and there but nowhere to place a clipboard that can be easily accessed from the driving seat, nowhere to store a large flashlight close at hand, a glove box without a light!!! Truely incredible deficiencies in a supposedly modern vehicle.
The traction control system appears to have a mind of its own, some times it turns itself off after a spin out and goes off in a huff only to reset itself several days later or it has to be reset by the dealer. If you inadvertently leave the gas cap loose the engine check light illuminates and then won't go off until it gets a trip to the dealer to be reset. Similarly the electronically selected 4WD low range, once selected it may not come out of low range for hours until it decides it wants to play again.
Toyota in Europe - good quality product with very competitive equipment levels - Toyota in North America - forget it, buy American, you may also have quality problems but at least you are not also killing the American Industry as well.
Ride quality is average, manual gearshift positive, but VERY POOR 360 degree vision particularly past the B post.

GMC Sierra

beatoangelo

August 15, 2008

Price Paid:  $30000.00 from Go Toyota, Denver

2008 Tacoma

Summary:
I bought this truck brand new and so far in three months and 7000 miles it has had the cruise control fail, the engine quit running leaving me stranded and needing a tow three times.