MTX Audio Thunder 6152

More products from MTX Audio >>
Thunder 6152 MSRP: $ 300.00

MTX Audio introduces the Thunder 6152, 37.5W x 2 channel Amplifier. The crossover on this amp is 12dB/octave high pass, 24dB/octave low pass, variable from 40Hz to 200Hz. In low pass mode, the outputs are mono at 24dB/octave. It's highly flexible with varying slopes on the low and high pass to provide improved ""bass up front"".

Sherman Judice

August 22, 2012

Price Paid:  $189.00 from Crutchfield

Strengths:
The 6152 is way under-rated in its available wattage. Bridged into 4 ohms, it produces 325 watts. It's a real "over-achiever" and drives my single 12" sub nicely, even though I have to turn the EQ
up quite a bit. Its internal circuits are
stout and built to last. It's S/N ratio
is excellent, and THD is almost non-existant, according to its "birth certificate." In the ten years I've used
this amplifier, it's only gone into 'protection mode' once, to allow itself to cool down a little on a hot summer day's drive. That only lasted about two or three minutes. This 6152 MTX amp will satisfy anyone who needs lots of good, distortion-free power.

Weaknesses:
The potentiometers spin much too easily--makes me wonder what's keeping them where
I last set the crossover frequency or the
EQ? Why not put 'detents' into the pots
so that a person will know that his or her
last setting will stay in place and not be
subject to vibration? Also, why not put
numbers to indicate approximately where
the pot is in terms of frequency--is my
cut-off frequency setting at 85 or is it
at 105? I can't tell because there are no
numbers on the end plates to gauge my settings by??

Summary:
If a person sets his frequencies "by ear,"
by what he thinks sounds best, then this
MTX 6152 amp will do quite nicely. If a
person would like to have a general idea
of where the EQ or the crossover frequency
is being set, then it's a matter of guesswork. I'd like "actual numbers" just
like we have on highways, where anyone can
tell what the speed limit is by looking at
numbers on signs on the side of the road.
I've never liked guesswork with electronics!!

All my other amps are Alpines.

Jake

April 1, 2003

Price Paid:  $130.00 from Pope Tire and Audio

Strengths:
Extremely low underrated wattage.... great, quality product

Weaknesses:
None

Summary:
Great Amp!!.. I used to have this amp pushing 2 MTX 6000 12's and it hits hard... it killed my friends audiobahns.. now i have 2 of these suckers.. and no one can touch it.. it Rocks the House !!!!

Memphis 1600w, Sony Xplod 700w, SPL 400w

Jaysen X

March 25, 2003

Price Paid:  $145.00 from hhGregg

1996/Honda Civic Sedan

Strengths:
pushes 12's nicely, built in x-over, nice separation.

Weaknesses:
grounding problems at first. thats it!

Summary:
I got this at a great price (closeout floor model) $145. i have had 2 Rockford-Fosgate Series 1 12"s with no amps for about a year, they worked out great as Rear speaker alternatives. about a week ago i thought i should incest in a small amp to push them a little harder. i got the 6152 for cheap and installed quickly. my first impression was "i gotta buy a different amp." and was not impressed at all, but that was fixed in a rush. the built in x-over was set funny from being a floor model. after i set it to my liking, i was greatly impressed. that little amp pushed the hell out of those old rotting 12's. i love it, i would strongly recommend buying this as an entry level amp for the begining audio tuner.

none

patmacrotc504

September 5, 2002

Review 4 of 4 , from Covington,Louisiana,USA

Price Paid:  $326.00 from Circuit City

1993/Pontiac Bonneville

Strengths:
Great,reliable power. Looks sweet, gain controls in easy reach, easy to hook up wires to it.

Weaknesses:
Overheats after about 45 minutes of long,loud bass. Keep in mind this is in Louisiana where it is 98 degrees but the heat index is like 112 degrees plus its in a trunk with insulation. But when the amp gets too hot it cuts off and cuts back on after about 2 minutes...its aggrivating but keeps the amp's internal parts from melting and makes the amp last practically forever.

Summary:
I use to have 2 Polk Ex 12's in a 6 port bandpass box with a Kenwood 818 mono-block amp running them. The subs blew so I got 2 MTX 6000 10's. About a month later the amp fried so I got a MTX 6152 amp and put it on my 2 10's. It is twice as loud as my old sub's. People that hear it ask me if I have 4 15's in my car and I tell them no...just 2 10's. And they don't believe me and ask me to pop the trunk and they see 2 little 10's and just freak out.

Kenwood 818 mono-block (fried from over-heating)