Precision Power A Series

bass-man

June 22, 2009

Price Paid:  $2000.00 from hifi buys

1995 a600.2 and a1200.2

Strengths:
everything looks and power dont need a crossover only gain control raw power

Weaknesses:
none too limited not too many left rare

Summary:
the a1200.2 is the godfather of ppi amps. I ran all art series amp in my car and in every car i own. This amp is a beast it will pound any sub out there believed me anyone who come across this amp must own it to believed it i have used punch amp kicker earthquake and it comes right back to the good old ppi art amp these are the amp ppi got theri rep from you hear ppi then you will shortly hear the legend of the art series amp in a league of their own people say the dcx and pro class are the best they dont know I own them before and its still the art series amp that blows away all amp in its wattage class I own ten of them including 5 a600.2 2 a1200.2 a404 a200.2 a300.2 and even the bad boy 4200am art series

mtx 1200d orion hcca250 punch 1001bd kicker zr1000 kx1200 earthquake 1000 soundstream 10.0 us amp hc100

kasen

December 16, 2008

Price Paid:  $80.00 from eBay

1996 PPI A600.2

Strengths:
The choice of components used. Cooling is brilliant and there is always abit more to crank. Easy to identify. No internal xover. It does what the label says.

Weaknesses:
The connecting plugs are not easy to get a hold of ,especially in London. Too few Art series left.

Summary:
I have 3 A600.2's. 2 powering 2Phase Evolution Aliantes and 1 is powering a pair of MB's up front. These amps" are sick". I won't change them for nutt'n.
I have just bought an A404 from Ebay and looking for an A1200.2
I don't have a problem with heating, considering that I don't have proper ventilation. Not having a xover is not a problem, using AudioControl. These amps are ABSOLUTELY TRUE AUDIOPHILE QUALITY. Not suited for a novice. I love these amps that I'm doing an Art Series install in my company car.

Rockford, Orion HCCA, Audison, Earthquake, Alpine, Kenwood

Pete Dyrke

May 3, 2008

Price Paid:  $200.00 from friend

1992 a1200.2

Strengths:
Good power, reliable, looks cool

Weaknesses:
could have better damping characteristics.

Summary:
A fried of mine needed a amp repair and this thing was dropped in my lap. It was used and abused. Had to resolder and replace the rectifiers and the big mylar caps on the inputs, but that's all it needed. This thing is like the energizer bunny, it keeps on going and going and going... It even has the ability to use water cooling with the retrofit kit

PPI A600.2, PPI PC21400, Orion 2250sx

Johnboy1

January 29, 2008

1994 A1200, A600.2

Strengths:
Only amp I can run for 11 hours straight with no overheating and cut off. SC to Miami every year for memorial day weekend. And I've tryed multipule of very fine quality.

Weaknesses:
Absolutly none if your an audiophili

Summary:
WOW, all I can say is they will out live you!! Simply can't find quality like this anymore. I've used both amps in 7 diff. systems always trying to find something better with each one I do and always getting frustrated and coming back to my good old PPI's. Art series is leaps and bounds better than any later models as the company has been sold twice resulting in poorer and poorer build quality. Any ways need help!?!? Maybe should be in forums but new and confused so here we go. What is the load stability of each amp. Can the A1200 and/or the A600.2 go to a stable 2ohm load. I'm getting a JL stealth bow thats wired mono with (2) 12w3v3's and JL said I needed an amp stable at 2 ohms. I told him mine was for sure stable at 4 ohms but I wasn't sure for 2ohms. He said buy a new amp then. I laughed and said that wasn't an option, LOL. I asked my other options. He said running the 12w6v2 in mono with dual 4ohm voice coils would require only a 4ohm load and thus ampo will work. I looked and the 12w3v2 says its a dual voice coil speaker as well. I think he's trying to upsell me. PLEASE HELP. Will either one of my amps run at a 2ohm load stable.

Bob

July 15, 2007

1994 A404 Art Series

Strengths:
fq response is amazing, clean sharp and real. can load it down to 1 Ohm maby even further.

Weaknesses:
no internal crossover
they didn't make enuf of them

Summary:
If your new to car audio or listen to a real mid range radio sound or a non frequency challenging sound please don't buy an ART Series amp. Oh yea and newbies you dont want these amps cause they got no internal crosover no bling no flashy lights and chicks will like you more if you go buy something else. What I'm trying to say is there aren't enuf of em left in the world for the people who will really appreciate em so don't buy a PPI Art series unless you ae sure you will challenge it, respect it and appreciate what a fine peice of engineering it is (for a non military domestic only product that is).
Currently running an A404 Art Series, I bought it new in 1994 and have built over 8 systems around it over the past 13 Years. I have owned over 30 amps of various brands over the past 15 years, some were louder than the A404 and many boasted better specs but the A404 out lasted and out performed em all over time. I am an Electronic Engineer by trade, I have studid these amps from a component/construction level and every component on the board is of the highest quality. The coils are hand made. They couldn't afford to make these amps ever again, you couldn't justify the the cost.
I once ran 9 kicker speakers off the 1 A404. 1x12" kicker comp series 2x6.5" kicker coax splits and 2x6x9" kicker coax splits with 4x kicker tweeters and it pushed out 114db at a local sound off. Currently it only runs my 4x5" peerless xls splits I've got in a 1990 CRX with 2x10" 500wrms ppi subs powered by 2x500wrms Response Precision Amps all run through a sepperate crosover unit.
I've measured the A404 taking up to 14.8 volts and 42Amps fully loaded down to 1 ohm. Saying the Art series is underated is an understatement even the fuse on the amp is underated it takes a 40 Amp fuse but can draw over that lol. The offical specs are: 50wrms x 4 @ 4ohm, 100wrms x 4 @ 2ohm and 200wrms x 2 @ 4ohm bridged. I have run many different 10" and 12" Subwoofers rated at 500wrms off it (only 1 driver @ a time) without a problem. Though I will say its a waste to only use these amps for low fq they are just to dam sharp and clean. My advise buy a powerful mono block for subs and reserve the quality of an Art Series to deliver all the highs and mids.
This amp should only be installed by someone experienced, don't risk getting it wrong hell don't even buy one if you don't know what your doing no offence but like I said there just ain't enuf of em left to waste on inferior installs.

A600.2 A1200.2 A202 if it ain't Art Series then it ain't similar!