XTANT 301a

Recon

June 8, 2005

Price Paid:  $100.00 from bought from friend

301a

Strengths:
Pure power, built in crossover keeps subs happy.

Weaknesses:
Old, thats about all I have to say bad, is that its old. Not the newest and greatest.

Summary:
I have 1(one) Xtant 301a running at 2ohms, powering a single Digital Audio DA8012 in a 1 cubic ft sealed box. I just entered a car audio show and hit 126.3 on the SPL meter. I do have a 1 farad cap inline so that my electrical system wont crap out. I emailed D/A to find out what I could do to get the speaker to put out higher SPL and the tech told me that with just 300 watts I have exceeded his expectations of this speaker. This is a testament to the out put power of this amp. I would recommend it to anybody. The fact thats it's older shouldn't stop you from buying one, it will be cheaper and they are built to last.

Rockford Fosgate

riped78

April 23, 2004

Price Paid:  $699.00 from Xtant.com

2003 xtant 301a

Strengths:
Nice clean sound. Looks very solid. Doesn't consume as much power as similar class amps. Good power supply and durable. I've pounded the amp everyday for the past 2 yrs and it sounds just as good as the day i bought it.

Weaknesses:
It's kinda pricy. I guess only those who can afford it can enjoy that kinda quality in their sounds.

Summary:
Absolutly amazing amp, best by far. If you are into sound quality, forget mtx or rockford. Xtant and MTX are the same company but the technology is like comparing Toyota to Lexus. Xtant is way better than MTX. The bass is unbelivably tight. You can hear every note even at high output. I love this amp. It is quite an expensive amp for its power, but if you are into sound quality, this is it. You will discover enjoyment in your bass that you never heard before. I will definetly recommand this amp to anyone whos into high end sound quality and don't mind the big price tags.

Kicker, rockford, MTX, PPI, Xtant smokes them all by far.

Tony

April 14, 2002

Summary:
I drive my JL10W3-D4 with this monoblock amp. I am into SQ and this amp delivers! The bass is acurate and controlled. I pair this amp with 302a and the result is excellent sound quality. I used to be PPI guy for SQ, but now I am a changed man...:)

Marc

August 22, 2001

Review 4 of 5 , from Belgium

Strengths:
Sound quality, ability to control the subwoofer.

Weaknesses:
You see everything on the stainless housing, but you can clean it very well. (it is really fullproof housing).

Summary:
After installing the 301a, the first auditioning tests where very satisfactory. I use the 301a on a Soundstream SS12R subwoofer in sealed box. The amp sounds very clean and the bass is very controlled. It goes very deep and has the capability to handle the sub very fast. In comparison , my other amps gave a "large beefy sound" , but the 301a has a "smaller more defined sound". The crossover is included and very good performing.

Soundstream Ref 300.

Scott Davis

March 8, 2001

3 months to 1 year

Review 5 of 5 , from Hampstead, NH, USA

301a

Strengths:
Clean power, forced induction cooling, chip upgradeable/customizable, built in cross-over, easy to clean, looks, name, 4 yr warranty

Weaknesses:
Stainless finish shows every finger print. I have been told that the power terminals do not easily accept wire 4 AWG or larger (a kit can be used). Amp fan emmits a small hum (if anyone cares). Sharp edges on metal case.

Summary:
One way of judging an item's quality/performance is pushing it 'til it breaks and then realizing that it's limits are above (or below) yours. I am more interested in SQ than SPL and I choose not to break and replace my gear constantly; I have never had the 301a clip noticably, overheat, or otherwise fail. This does not mean that it has been babied. I have driven it to my listening levels and it has performed very well (this includes everything from acoustic to techno). I have a LFQ45 chip upgrade which boosts 45 hz frequencies up to 12 db and power is delivered with 4 AWG wire. It drives a single 4 ohm a/d/s/ A12s 12 inch sub in a sealed enclosure which can make passenger's hair tingle, my mirrors blur, and, of course, my license plate rattle. Even then, the amp is within touching temperatures (brief touching).
The Mono 301a's power is very clean and abundant. I expected to need more than 300 watts. Using a mono amp for a single speaker is better than bridging because when you bridge, you also multiply the distortion. This amp should drive all but the most power hungry drivers.
This amp was used for a month before I purchased it for $300. The previous owner was driving 2 Boston Acoustic Pro 12.5s and reports (from many people) are that it POUNDED! He ended up going through more 301a amps in a month than I do underwear.
I would recommend this amp to someone who appreciates sound quality who wants to buy an amp to power ONE sub (unless they're 8s). It is my opinion that this is a perfect amp for a starter (or veteran) system which will impress, not compete, for a long time. This is a rather expensive amp at around $600(?) new. It is for this reason that I would not recommend this amp to someone who just "wants more sound"; it can be done cheaper, but with Xtant, you pay for the quality (sound quality, that is).

auditioned: Kenwood, Eclipse, MTX