Aiwa CDC-MP3

More products from Aiwa >>
CDC-MP3 MSRP: $

Detachable In-Dash CD (MP-3)

T.B.

May 24, 2006

Price Paid:  $150.00 from Breast Buy

same as the rest

Strengths:
Long lasting.
Plays mp3 player right from deck face with no million dollar installation, just a two dollar headphone style cord.

Weaknesses:
The remote is a piece of crap, but if your too lazy to reach over and change a station, give it all up.

Summary:
Had this deck for six years now. It wont quit working. Plug my Ipod right into the aux jack in the faceplate. Plays cd's like a dream. I must have gotten the best one they ever made, or these people are all rocked up.

Blow me.

jayce75

March 17, 2004

Price Paid:  $299.00 from Best Buy

2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab

Strengths:
MP3 Playback, CD Playback, Front Input jack makes it easy to add external devices (XM, portable MP3, etc.), Sounds really good - it seems like I get fuller sound than my factory radio, scrolling id3 text

Weaknesses:
Needs a better remote (just toss the one that comes with it), get an Error 03 occasionally for no reason, Wish I had the option of Random play for the whole disc, starts mp3 songs over from the start instead of just picking up where you left off All of these are just very small things compared to the good stuff.

Summary:
I've had this MP3 player for about 4 years now and I still think it's awesome. It was originally in my CRX but I had it moved when I got my Frontier. I bought the radio and the extended warranty from Best Buy and I've never had a problem out of it. The unit has never given me any major headaches - the only thing being that every now and then I get an "Error 03" and have to eject the disc and put it back in - but that happens maybe once every few months. It's great for playing MP3 cds (I just use regular Sony CD-Rs - haven't tried CD-RWs the whole time I've had it) and regular cds. I've had no reception problems out of FM or AM stations either. The front input made my XM Sky-Fi installation that much easier (didn't have to spend another $50 for an FM Modulator) which was awesome. I've read a lot of negative things on this board about the Aiwa - maybe some of the other people here just got defective units or something. Sure there are things that could have been done better and features that we'd like to have, but overall I'm still pleased with my mine.

Factory Radio, Jensen In-Dash MP3 player, Sony In-dash CD Player

Eric

October 1, 2003

Price Paid:  $180.00 from Online Store

2001 Aiwa CDC-mp3

Strengths:
Cool looking, can play mp3's (a nice feature for an mp3 player)

Weaknesses:
Face plate stops working after a month. No pause, no mute No resume, everytime you get out of the car, the song has to start over at the beginning...which gets ultra annoying after a few trips around town. Steering remote may look like a cool idea, but warrants removal real quick!

Summary:
This unit has one great feature. Scrolling display. Other than that, it is a huge rip-off. What else can you expect from a Sony affiliate!? After a month the forward/next button quit working. The steering wheel remote is the worst example of design. The band that hold it on your steering wheel gets in the way of driving, when cornering and either pops off, or causes a near accident. After about 3 months, over 1/2 of the buttons stopped working and I had to rig a way to use the remote without interferring with my driving.

LancerGT

September 27, 2003

Review 4 of 69 , from Carol Stream, IL

Price Paid:  $299.00 from Best Buy

2001 Aiwa CDC/MP3

Strengths:
Good sound and power Generally performs well with CD-RW mp3s Cool Display Removable face-plate is nice (it survived being dropped a few times) FM/AM reception is fine

Weaknesses:
Skips pretty bad with regular audio CDs: On almost every bump the CD will skip, and sometimes it will skip for what seems like no reason at all. However if you plan on utilizing the mp3 playing capability, it gets better. With mp3s the music doesn't skip, it just pauses. MP3 playing is not as sensitive with bumps as audio CDs, and I have gone over big bumps without a pause. On somedays though, it has paused when going over minor bumps. I guess it just depends on whether or not the player is having a good day =) It doesn't like certain CD-RWs: The music kept pausing when using regular Memorex CD-RWs (with the white label). The Memorex Platinum CD-RWs (silver labeled discs) seem to work the best. I have some of those that I have reburned over and over and over since 2001 and they still work fine. Every once in a while when I burn a CD, the player will have a problem playing a small handful of songs on it (sometimes). Again, it depends on whether or not the player is having a good day. I can't explain this phenomenon. The plastic hinge on the face plate cover broke (lol) =P

Summary:
I bought this unit in the summer of 2001, meaning that I've had it for 2 years now. It's a decent mp3 system for your car. It puts out pretty good power, and combined with my Infinity speakers has no problem overpowering wind noise with the windows down. You won't get as much bass as you would with a home stereo system unless you install a "steal me" amp and sub-woofer setup. I'm sure there are better car mp3 players out there. If you can pick up this unit for a low price, it will work for you as long as you avoid playing regular audio CDs. Stick to mp3 playback, and I recommend using CD-RWs so that you can reburn over and over onto one CD. If you're the type of person that doesn't have a lot of patience and gets frusterated easily, perhaps you should stay away from this unit. If you give it a chance though, it is a functional unit that will give you plenty of enjoyment for many many miles. I'd take this unit over a regular CD or cassette player anyday. Once you experience having 80 CD quality songs (192kbps+ of course) on one CD played at random, there's no going back. I love this technology, and look for it to improve in the future.

FM/AM units (good for if the radio stations in your area are fantasic) FM/AM/Cassette units (cassette components are a waste of materials) FM/AM/CD units (very limiting)

Keith Bigoness

August 2, 2003

Review 5 of 69 , from Hamilton MI U.S.A.

Price Paid:  $160.00 from crutchfiled

2003 Aiwa

Weaknesses:
Skips very easily and takes very long to read mp3 cd's

Summary:
It is overall on okay reciver nice to have but wish i could have gotten something nicer for my money