Alpine CDA-7840

88stangvert

October 5, 2003

Price Paid:  $100.00 from E-bay

1999 Alpine cda-7840

Strengths:
Good clear music output. nice BBE Bass engine. just a lot of good peatures

Weaknesses:
none that I can think of right now...

Summary:
Awesom CD-Player!! I have had a lot of high end stuff and by far this cd player takes the cake!! Powerful 4 volt pre-outs. strong internal amp. plays all of the cds I have put in it. burned or bought!

JVC, Aiwa, Eclipse, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Sony... bla bla bla... Alpine is by far the best of them all!!

Patrick Pugh

July 18, 2003

Review 2 of 22 , from Lake Oswego, OR

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Came with car

1998

Strengths:
Great sound&power for the year... 40x4. WILL NOT SKIP. i took my car off-roading once (don't ask me why) performance was excellent. installing it would be easy from the wiring guide on the unit.

Weaknesses:
a-symetrical, i guess... not the "new hotness" look... other than that....

Summary:
Great product. Overall very good for year. I used it since i had the car and it has been good to me since. made my stock 4" paper cones sound like poly-prop 5's. i realize why alpine is a top seller in the industry

HEMI

January 9, 2002

Price Paid:  $299.00 from Kawartha TV

CDA-7840

Strengths:
Clean sound

Weaknesses:
No sub amps. Scratches to easily Can''t read the screen display in the day time, not dark enough text on the screen.

Summary:
The c.d player had to be taken back after only 1 week, the transisors had burnt. Other than that is is o.k. Clean/crisp sound.

None Factory radio

matt

August 9, 2001

1 to 3 years

Review 4 of 22 , from gaithersburg MD

1999

Strengths:
Sound quality is superb for a low bit-rate PCM digital audio format. Disc initialization and transport are smooth speedy. My unit plays CDr and CDRw even though the unit didn't say it would! The 4volt pre-out sends unclipped signals to my speakers via my component amp.

Weaknesses:
Ugly faceplate symmetry. The ergonomics could be better. There should be a sub pre-out. The face scratches easily and for a competition ready unit, this unit should have more RMS power or be sold without an internal amp, just like a tuner. Ive seen this unit in competition so a few items should be revised.

Summary:
This unit made me realize why Alpine in a top seller in the auto sound segment. I would definatley buy another Alpine, yet with each new year their units become progressivly uglier. I prefer symmetry in my equipment and am now considering alternatives to the ugly products Alpine has to offer.

Alpine CDM 7833, Kenwood 3018 (1999). Tha 7840 tops both units in power and fidelity. The Kenwood looks better than both but felt overrated.

matt