Kenwood KDC-715S

harry buttkis

January 14, 2004

Price Paid:  $30.00 from swap meet

1988 chevy cheyyne

Strengths:
everything

Weaknesses:
none

Summary:
it grrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt

panasonic jvc

Markis Williams

August 3, 2003

Review 2 of 9 , from Los Angleles

Price Paid:  $279.00 from the good guys

1999 Honda Accord

Strengths:
i really like the D-mask feature & the detachable face.

Weaknesses:
I don't see any!!! GREAT JOB KENWOOD

Summary:
I love this deck. im a very big fan of kenwood desk's. This product has never giving me any problems. the d-mask is a great feature.

this is my first receiver purchased, and if i do purchase another one IT WILL BE A KENWOOD DECK.

Mike

May 5, 2003

Review 3 of 9 , from Dover, NH, USA

Price Paid:  $315.00 from Circuit City

2002 Honda Accord/ KDC 715S

Strengths:
The D-Mask is great to deter thefts and the ease of use is great. The green and red lighting is nice to change sometimes. The removable faceplate is nice when I am going to a rough area and don't want it stolen(even though the dmask is working). There is also a theft deterent code that must be used to make it work once taken out.

Weaknesses:
The features can be intimidating at first, but if you just read the manual once it will be fine. I am very happy with this deck and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice set in their car.

Summary:
This is a great receiver. I live in New Hampshire where 3/4 of the year is winter and it works fine- no problems with the cold. It has great overall features.

Clarion, Sony.

Tim

May 16, 2001

Review 4 of 9 , from Charlotte, NC, USA

2000/KDC-715S

Strengths:
Ease of use, good power rating, good sound, sturdy faceplate buttons.

Weaknesses:
CD transport terrible.

Summary:
I owned my unit for about 90 days before returning to store. This model has 22 watts of RMS power and multiple sound curves for nice sound. The tuner has good reception (though no better than the eight year old Pioneer receiver it temporarily replaced.) Additionally, buttons on the unit are solid. Many car receivers today have buttons/dials that feel as if they will break after about a week. Unit played all CD-R's that I tried, but found that Circuit City's house brand of CD-R blanks, STI Certified, would drag when inserted or ejected. Visual inspection of several disks showed no physical damage or any other physical attribute that would account for the problem. My theory is these blanks are thicker than some other brands though this is not visually obvious. Upon extensive trips to various stores, found that this phenomenon only occurred on Kenwood models and was not limited to the 715S. I have since tried this brand of CD-R blanks in 2001 Kenwood models and found the condition to still be present though much more intermittent. I have encountered no such problems with this brand of CD-R blanks when testing units from Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, JVC or Alpine. Closer (non-scientific) comparison of Kenwood units to other brands seem to show that the Kenwood CD transport mechanisms are slower and louder than most other brands. For this reason, my next unit will NOT be a Kenwood unit which is disappointing given Kenwood's good mix of features at each price point in their car receiver line. My recommendation would be that if you must have a Kenwood car receiver, test it with every brand of CD-R and CD-RW blank (CD-RW only applicable to 2001 models) that you plan to use in the desired model before purchasing. I know some of you are saying, "Why didn't I just stop using that brand?". That was an option (and I no longer purchase any STI Certified CD-R blanks), but how was I to know which brands would or would not work in the future as I do not limit myself to one particular brand of CD-R blanks. I finally returned the unit because the dragging continued to get worse over time.

Sony, JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Pioneer

Jason

March 20, 2001

1 to 3 years

Review 5 of 9 , from Plant City, FL USA

1985 S-10

Strengths:
First of all, I really love that D Mask..it impresses everyone that rides with me. Plus when I have the color on red, it looks really impressive at night. It sounds great and I have never regreted buying it.

Weaknesses:
I've heard some of my friends up north say that their display didn't work well in cold weather, however I live in Florida so I really don't have that problem. Other than that I have had no problems with my radio.

Summary:
I've had my radio for over 2 years now and I havent had a single problem with it. I look forward to many more years with my radio and I will never hesitate to buy another Kenwood product. As a matter of fact I am starting to look at amps and Kenwood is my first choice.

My brother has an older model D Mask as a tape deck and that is where I first saw and learned about Kenwoods...I've been hooked ever since.