Kenwood KDS-P100

J.J

September 18, 2011

Price Paid:  $200.00 from Ebay

2002 KDS P-100

Strengths:
+/- 12DB slope gain in 7 frequencys
Full Subwoofer Control
Factory Pre-set Configurations
Dual Illumination
1/2 Din size
Kenwood Reliability

Weaknesses:
No Spectrum Analyzation
Single Input only
Learning curve is moderate

Summary:
The Kenwood KDS-P100 DSP surround unit is an exceptional device for customizing and tailoring your mid to high end audio system. Tough to locate but obtainable New from Japan on a certain auction site the KDS P-100 is worth every penny of $200.00

The half din size makes for easy mounting and customization. The DSP effects are also fully customizable for equilization, reverberation, delay and seperate sub control.

Built in pre-sets for Concert, Staduim and Normal modes give a good starting point. In addition to the following presets Concert,Church,Surround,Dance,Club,Vocal-cut and OFF)
Unlike the pioneer DSPs this unit does not have a spectrum analyzer however if dancing colored lights define your audio system then by all means buy the Pioneer.

Alpine DSP,

mike maul

January 30, 2011

Price Paid:  $100.00 from Ebay

1987 KDS-P110

Strengths:
Even though it only has a 9-band spectrum analyzer, you can chose between 25 frequencies and adjust the gain and quality of the cut-off slope in 4 distinct point of the audio spectrum (hence the "parametric" designation). What made my music quality stand out was the dynamic range "expander"/"compander" function that is adjustable on 3 levels. It's like Sony's mega bass function on their old walkmans. You push the button and it does much more than just increase the bass; it makes the music sound more expansive, clearer, and airy-like. This unit does much more, but I only used the equalizer and dynamic range adjustability functions.

Weaknesses:
The unit gets very hot and is no longer readily available. Also, I believe it's signal to noise ratio is 100db, which is slightly lower than most head decks today. Personally, I think the negligible noise ratio is totally worth the advantages.

Summary:
Great item. Rare and hard to find, but totally worth a search. Had to special order this product from Kenwood in California from NY when I was younger. Ran $380.00 back in the 80's. Recently picked on up in perfect condition from the internet for $100.00

Kenwood head deck. Kenwood component speakers. Boss and Kenwood amps. Kenetic "cap killer" dry cell, and Optima yellow cap battery.

Winno

July 16, 2001

Review 3 of 3 , from Auckland

Strengths:
Very good quality, small, multiple display colour, very flexible, easy to use, very good quality.

Weaknesses:
Gets hot...quite hot but this seems to be designed to work sandwiched into a dash console so it must be able to handle it...
A pop can be heard in changing the volume down past -10dB level on the way down but a similar "flutter" can also be heard on my Nak's volume also when adjusting attenuation - a trait of digital attenuation I understand.

Summary:
System:
Nak 45z head unit,
Kenwood KDS-P110 eq,
Alpine F407 4ch amp,
Boston Pro 6.5 two way spks,
Monster interconnect and Nordost speaker cables,
No sub...yet.
Got this off a friend for about US$100. In New Zealand they retailed at about US$500.(NZ$999.00)
What impressed me was that by adding it to the system, I struggled to notice any degredation of sound quality at all (I come from a traditionalist "higher end" home audio background of many years).
It has given me a great deal of flexability in tuning the sound to my liking. I did have concerns about this issue after adding an Alpine F407 amp and getting a super sterile/clean sound that was not very listenable for long periods.
I tried using the Auto parametric function at first and this gave good results but then learnt very quikly how to use the Manual mode to adjust Q, band gain and centre frequency, and this has yielded fantastically natural results. It also shows that it has tremendous flexability.

I also use the Seating Position adjustment to very good effect.
I had concerns that this would narrow the staging in the windscreen area too much but this has proved unfounded.
It has allowed me to get a very solid image, placement and depth of sound stage even when I listen with my eyes open just like a very good home system can do.
At the same time, the stage remains very wide and is not pulled down at each side nearer each dash mounted tweeter.
As I choose not to use rear fill at the moment and may not use it at all, I have not played around with the DSP settings much although a cursory "fiddle" left me interested in future possibilities...
The rating is based on if I had paid close to retail for the unit. (Obviously, through my transaction, this would be different but hardly fair ratings wise.)

Kenwood analogue unit from a few years ago - very simple, quality was ok but..., casual experience with various Alpines - not too keen on the sound-too clean and perhaps complex for me iMo.