Alpine SPS171A

lensam69

May 8, 2004

Price Paid:  $150.00 from Planet Audio, NY

2003 SPS-171A

Strengths:
When tested separately, each component performs admirably. The tweeters are very crisp, and clear sounding, without being bright, and they give great dispersion. The woofers, can handle bass very, very well.

Weaknesses:
The crossover HP only has a 6 db slope, which allows some bass to pass through, causing a bit of distortion.

Summary:
I knew i could get these speakers cheaper on Ebay, but i wanted the factory warranty just in case. My impressions on the speakers are very good. The tweeters aren't overly bright, and the overall system sounds very clean. The woofers can handle a lot of bass (for their size, so don't expect 10 inch Subwoofer levels, ok?). However, I do have a complaint with the crossover. I feel that alpine could've made a better job here. The High pass filter, allows too much bass to pass through, which can cause distortion at moderate volume levels. (I'm not currently using tweeter attenuation because i feel that the system is well balanced as it is.). Currently my Alpine CDA9331 head unit is driving these components, and the stock 6x9's in the back. I'm planning to upgrade soon, and get type-R 6x9 for the rear, as well as an alpine amp. Using the amp, i will remove frequencies below 200Hz for the components, and leave the rear fill in full range. I hope that the distortion problem goes away with this. If not, I'll upgrade these components to type-R which have a 12db Slope on their High Pass crossovers. When i get some more money, I'll add another alpine amp, and type-R sub (or X if i hit the lottery). hehe... I should probably get an alpine decal for my car too...

Not precisely similar. I've always used external active crossovers with separate woofers and tweeters. This is the first component system i've bought as a complete package.