Polk Audio EX602a

keith

May 8, 2002

Price Paid:  $54.00 from some place for the b

95 saturn

Strengths:
high mids

Weaknesses:
none so far i hope they dont blow very easy

Summary:
if you have a high powered stero unit these have a great overall product i have a 200w jvc and the bass is great for 6.5 inchers i am happy and satisfied expecially for 54 dollars!!! has anyone had these speakers blow i am afraid i will blow them?? by the way i installed them..!

first speakers 100x better than any stock speakers

Easyese

October 16, 2001

Review 2 of 21 , from Adire Land (Seattle)

Price Paid:  $90.00 from The Good Guys

Strengths:
They have a small mounting depth which was good for my car. They have a good sound to them, the tweeter is balanced right so that I can hear it in my doors but it isnt overpowering or underpowering. They do what they suppose to do.

Weaknesses:
There power handling is decent. They cant take bass as well, I recomend crossing them over if you are going to amp it. But I feel that this product is good for the money.

Summary:
These speakers have a good sound to them, the tweeter is good. They dont cost a lot of money and had a decent sound to them. They sound good for a coaxial. Would buy them again if looking for coaxials.

Diamond Audio, Rockford Fausgate, Alumapro, Image Dynamics and many others

Andrew

August 12, 2001

6 months to 1 year

Review 3 of 21 , from Ney Yowk

Strengths:
Everything

Weaknesses:
Nothing I have observed.

Summary:
Breathtaking sound. Vocals are the real deal, bass is shaking, the highs are silky smooth and accurate. Hard pressed to find a better speaker with $100 dollars of this price.

Infinity, BOSE, Pioneer

Luke

July 23, 2001

Review 4 of 21 , from Livermore, CA

2001

Strengths:
Rugged construction, sound quality (after 1 mo.), price, ease of install

Weaknesses:
Break in period, limitations of coaxial design (all coaxials have the same problems.

Summary:
The Polk EX602as are a pretty good value alternative for me. After installing a new head unit, subwoofer, and amp (to drive the sub), I decided that it was time to upgrade my speakers. Because I planned to add a 4-channel amp to drive the speakers in the near future, I knew that I should get speakers that were durable while still being flexible enough to run off my head unit (Nakamichi 45z – see review). Since I was a novice installer and didn’t want to spend too much on speakers, I went with coaxials over components. Because of its specs, I finally chose the Polk 602s over the Infinity Reference series speakers. I also mounted a pair of Pioneer TS-6975 6x9s in the rear locations.
After opening the box, the first thing I noticed was the speaker templates. Although I didn’t use them, it was a nice touch. I was a little surprised because the speakers barely fit in the stock 6.5 positions of my ’98 Honda Accord (the screws had to be driven in at an angle and the depth was almost too great to fit!) Otherwise mounting was surprisingly easy.
When I first listened to them, I didn’t notice a huge difference in sound quality from my OEM speakers. To be honest, I was a little disappointed. But then I remembered from other reviewers at this site that the Polks do take some time to break in. Also, I assumed that they would really sound good when I added that amp.
Well, after installing an Orion 4-channel amp and breaking in the speakers for about a month, I can say that the Polk 602s are really great sounding. They produce a surprising amount of mid-bass and the trebles are very clear. This speaker is so clean, in fact, that I recently replaced the Pioneers in the back with a pair of Polk EX692as (see review).
These speakers are not perfect, however. Because the existing locations are near the bottom of the front doors, the speakers can be blocked by the legs of the passenger and driver. Although this does not effect the bass and midrange, the tweeters are noticeably blocked. Because I didn’t want to waste these speakers, instead of replacing them with a component set, I just bought an extra set of Polk EX2500 tweeters (again-see my review) and placed them relatively high up on my dash. If I were starting from scratch, I would probably just get a component speaker set.
I will conclude by stating that the Polks are a good set of speakers for a budget audiophile. They are reasonably inexpensive, sound great (break’em in before judging), and pretty easy to install. They are ruggedly constructed and sound better when you pour more power into them. They are perfect for anyone running them through their after-market head unit (something with 40-60W peak power per channel) or with an amp. Right now they are an even better deal because the new EX3 series have just come out. You can probably pick up a set of the 602as for about $60-80.

Infinity Reference, Kappas

Chad Richeson

April 25, 2001

1 to 3 years

Review 5 of 21 , from Redmond, WA

EX602a

Strengths:
Good bass for a 6" speaker. These speakers fill up my car with good clean clean sound. Not power hungry either -- I am running them straight from an Alpine receiver (35 watts per channel.)

Weaknesses:
Took a long time to break in.

Summary:
A great value for the $$. These speakers took over 100 hours of listening time to break in, but it was well worth the wait. The sound is tremendous.

Sony and Alpine. The Polks are by far the warmest, cleanest sounding car speakers I have ever had.