Alpine Basslink

More products from Alpine >>
Basslink MSRP: $ 499.00

Self-Amplified Subwoofer System. BassLink features a 200W Class D subwoofer amplifier that provides all the horsepower needed to drive the 10" subwoofer/10" passive radiator combination.

sciether

May 23, 2008

Price Paid:  $170.00 from ebay

2000 frieghtliner

Strengths:
the subs and speakers will give u the best sound u can find anywhere, they adjust with 3 diff servos so anyone can tune them to what thier prefrences

Weaknesses:
they can be easily killed, one of the two i still have and has been 500,000 miles and three rides now in over 3 yrs,one died within the first year, but i blame it more on the way the truck it was in rode, beat it to death, they come wt great warranties so, try one dont be scared it will give out on you.

Summary:
i bought one of these for my 18 wheeler, it sounded so good i bought another one a lil later, with two as compact as they are this truck would rock the block, shortly i bought 2 kapa competition 6x9 for the sleeper, the quality of infinty sound beats all others

kapa comp, 6x9, those are unmatched

shopper

January 3, 2007

Strengths:
Basslink gives guaranteed result

Weaknesses:
You can not transport a drywall in your mini van anymore. Basslink may not be transferrable to your next vehicle.

Summary:
No doubt, Basslink would give guaranteed result. I wanted it but also wanted to improve my 92 GM minivan (the one with plastic body) sound without any auxilliary additions.
After very long study I did next:
- replaced 2 rear OEM 6.5" speakers with a low power Panasonic speakers. This was a mistake. Because when I removed the gate decorative panel, I found 2 additional strange 6.5x10" speaker wells that GM made in the gate and never used them on any model(on my knowledge). I was dissapointed.
-Suddenly I found out that surplus shops and E-bay sell at least two kinds of new 5x8" 4-speaker kits for Ford trucks. The kit costs 30 canadian dollars. Speakers are paper, they have very soft rubber suspension and suprisingly long excursion.
-I've made a plywood donut-adaptors, installed two of these speakers into the wells, connected them in-series with Panasonics. The GM radio - cassete player works even better with 8 Ohm load and have enormous bass and tremble adjustment ranges.

- The gate internal volume had to be stuffed with a sinthepon from two old pillows to prervent the lock levers chattering and for better low end response.
Original front speakers are 10 Ohms!
I plan to disconnect them and put remained two 5x8 in the middle of the dash board vinyl cover, connect additional 4-6 ohm resistors in-series.
Who wants to do similar, please pay attention to the each speaker polarity and a right / left sides polarity.
Also old pillows produce a dust.

The final result is good. Even without front speakers I got trippled speaker surface area, moderate but acceptable home theater sound quality, a seat back and a rear license plate vibration. And there are no gadgets permanently bolted to the floor. There is no homemade cable somewhere under the carpet. That cable would have +12 volts on it permanently.
The battery would melt if I would damage and ground the cable by some cargo.

none

Jim

November 5, 2006

Strengths:
Sounds good when it's working

Weaknesses:
Short life. Mine lasted 8 months

Summary:
Good bass but prone to early failure. Take a look on ebay and see how many dead ones are there.

Kenwood, Bazooka, etc

Lude Dude

May 28, 2006

Price Paid:  $299.00 from Best Buy

2006 Basslink

Strengths:
Compact

Weaknesses:
Not clean

Summary:
I can't afford a new car at this time, so I decided to upgrade my 98 Prelude with a new stereo. Started with new speakers, Alpine front and rears, sounded better but not a lot different. Then a new head unit to replace OEM, Pioneer, a little better. Then a new Amp to replace OEM, Alpine, much better, but still missing deep bass - I was overdriving the rears to get bass. Okay, already spent a grand, what the heck, need a sub. Thought the basslink would do the trick, definitely nice and compact, best sound the Prelude ever had in it. But, still I knew something was just not right - a $1300 stereo should sound better. One of the reviewers below complained of bass being muddy - that was it. Returned the Basslink and got a 12 inch Punch P2 + Q-link enclosure + mono Alpine amp, $500 total. Guess what, I now believe that a good sub is the heart of a sound system - I giggle with joy everytime I listen to my new system. The Basslink did not mesh well with the rest of my system, the Punch sounds like it belongs. Also, I have tested the 'waking the neighbor' thing - I have bass pounding inside and can barely hear it outside, so much for that theory. I am no audiophile - but turst me, the traditional 12 inch sub+amp+enclosure is the way to go - and, it actually fits under the rear speakers in the Prelude still allowing a Golf bag in my trunk.

OEM Honda

NoTickets

August 23, 2004

Price Paid:  $189.00 from eBay

2004 200W (Black) Subwoofer

Strengths:
Small size, easy install with the aftermarket kit.

Weaknesses:
Takes about 1 cubic foot of trunk space, (but easily removed/replaced with the "QuickRelease" mount).

Summary:
Permanent Grin while Driving. The Infinity BassLink has an all-around look and feel of quality and will delight you at every turn. The designers of the BassLink obviously worked overtime to get it right. For an application as a self-powered subwoofer intended to be mounted in the trunk, the servo-control is indispensable – it compensates for changes in the enclosure (i.e. your trunk) as the shape and volume of the enclosure changes (i.e. as you put things in or take them out of your trunk). Read on & you’ll see why the BassLink is probably the optimal upgrade for to compensate for a weak low-end (but otherwise fine) auto audio amplifier. I put my BassLink in the trunk of my BMW. The stock audio system found on all BMWs are severely wanting in the low end, and we all tend to overdrive the amplifier to (try to) get more bass response. This doesn’t work well in practice as (1) we never do get balanced bass response, and (2) we drive the amp to the point of distortion in the midrange and highs. The BMW amps (both standard and Premium/DSP) are *really good* in the midrange and highs; it is just the lows that is too wimpy and BassLink fixes this. There are several kits around to help with installation. For BMW, I recommend the BassLink Install kits you can find on eBay (just go to ebay.com and use the keyword search for “BassLink Install”). The kits will save you a lot of time and they have all the components you need – there is even one that has a ‘QuickRelease’ mechanical mount so you can take the BassLink out (and replace it) in under 60 seconds. The kit is highly recommended and will save $$ and time.

Bazooka 8". WOW worlds apart. BassLink is for fine ears to music. Bazooka is for annoying your neighbors.