Alpine Kappa Perfect 10.1 D

instantkevin

June 16, 2004

Price Paid:  $86.00 from Circuit City (employ

2004 Infinity Kappa 10.1D

Strengths:
Perfect low frequency response - much better than average. Crazy power, even with just one sub in a small box! Best quality I've heard. Infinity is one of the best.

Weaknesses:
1) Rattle sound when playing very low frequencies - in open air. 2)People who don't know how to break it in give it bad reviews.

Summary:
I have a Camaro, which means almost no space for subs, much less for a box unless I wanted to pay a ridiculous price for a custom box. I went with one of these subs and a basic truck box. It was all that would fit (barely). Sounds great! Amazing power a lower frequencies. Very loud, very clean bass. Does not distort at max volume! Compared with most people's systems with two mid-range quality 12" subs, mine sounds nearly as loud, but much much better sound quality. I have an Apline (clean sound) monoblock amp running 300watts RMS to the sub, and another Apline 4 channel running 50watts to each Infinity Kappa 6x9 (rear) and 4x6 (front). I have a 1 farad (Monster) capacitor that I decided to buy after the sub successfully drained my battery, which is only attached to the monoblock amp. Initially I was scared to turn my system all the way up cause it sounded so powerful at low-mid volumes. Acoustical layout of the Camaro helps too. The bass bounces off of the rear hatch and goes straight to the front of the car. If I close my doors and windows and get out of the car, I can barely hear the sub unless I'm standing in front of the car where I can hear it loud and clear. Be aware of the break-in time, people who claim these subs blow all the time don't break them in. I went 2 weeks of casual listening before I cranked it up. I max it out all the time now, hasn't blown. Downside: this sub does make a bothersome rattling noise at very low frequencies. If your an audiophile like me (which you probably are) then you will notice it. If you just want loud, good music then maybe not. I have an open-air trunk (I can see what is in the tunk from the passenger area) and the speaker is not completely enclosed. I imagine if you have a closed-air trunk or if you have the speaker in one of the plexi-glass boxes where the sub in completely enclosed then you might not hear the rattle. Still worth buying though becuase most (rap) songs (I'd say 95%) don't use frequencies that low.

Infinity Kappa 6x9 Infinity Kappa 4x6 (I sell home audio equipment)

0ffroadbob

November 20, 2003

Price Paid:  $200.00 from Sound Domain

2003 Perfect 10.1 D

Strengths:
Beutiful sound. looks great.

Weaknesses:
I have blown way to many. so I have spent more like 300 on this one sub.

Summary:
The sub is a great sounding sub. I only have one in a 1 cubic sealed box. i have it powered by a JBL 600.1 monoblock. it sucks cause i have to keep it wired down to 8 ohms instead of the two ohms i would like to be putting to it. i have blown 3 of them putting it at two ohms. because my amp is pusing 600w rms to it no bueno. now in 8ohm its pullling a weak 175w from my amp :'(. oh well i am very impressed w/ this sub. the SQ is great and the bass is awsome as well.i think it would sound better as a single sub in a bandpass. i have tryed all boxes exsept a bandpass maybe later. oh im also running a 1 farad cap.

rockford XLC back in the day. Alpine type R. mtx 6000.

Bill Nichol

September 18, 2003

Price Paid:  $129.00 from www.etronics.com

2003 Kappa Perfect 10.1d

Strengths:
CLARITY at VERY high volume! Response is great. They halt immediately (in a sealed box) when the sound srops.. (TIP: be sure to run a wire from your negative battery terminal to a spot on the chassis, using the same gauge as you are running to the amp from the positive terminal.. Remember ELECTRONS come from the negative terminal, so you don't want to be lacking..)

Weaknesses:
None. Be sure to break them in at least 18 hours at half or less volume..

Summary:
wow, AMAZING subs! I have the 4 voice coils paralleled down to 1-ohm, running off an Orion 600D mono amp. 0.6 cu ft separate sealed boxes. I can't believe how clear they are even when you max out the volume. They play very LOW too. I set off a car alarm from 30 feet away with my car completely closed up. And we're talking 10" subs!! I have fold down seats, so the speakers are firing into the car. But, my trunk still bounces on it's seals. Definitely deserves the name "Perfect". And I'm only pushing 300 RMS into each sub, they can take 350. The aluminum cone moves about an inch! MONO rules! Both hit at the same time.. Best way to go in my opinon.. Best DB vs. clarity I've ever seen.. I have a 1.0 Farad capacitor, and my headlights still flicker on some songs.. I do have 2 amps tho, the other is for mids and tweets.. The ORION amp has 24 DB/octave crossover, and an awesome damping factor. this helps too..

Orion 600d, Kenwood deck, 1.0 farad cap, sony 40x2 amp, profile electronic crossover..

Roodog

May 13, 2003

Review 4 of 5 , from Anchorage, Alaska

Price Paid:  $150.00 from E-Bay

02 Kappa Perfect 10. D

Strengths:
Very good range between highs and lows. Very quick and responsive. I have a small Del Sol and these speakers fit perfect. I think they may blow my target top off it flexes so much. Broke my back window out the other day. Great sub.

Weaknesses:
None that I have seen yet. You have to break them in properly. Can't start off with too much power. But, that goes with any sub if you want it to last.

Summary:
Incredible speaker. I get more comments than most of my friends with larger speakers. Crisp sound. Hit hard and are well worth the money. Best sub I have had yet.

First Infinity product. I used to like Rockford Fosgate and I have had AudioBahn. This is the best equiptment I have ever had.

black02gti

December 12, 2002

Review 5 of 5 , from Tampa,FL

Price Paid:  $100.00 from Circuit City Employe

2001

Strengths:
All around great sub for the money. I wouldnt pay 300 bucks though.

Weaknesses:
None. It does however rattle. I think that is b/c it is a metal cone. However you dont hear it in the car. Only when you have your ear next to the speaker

Summary:
A great sub. Hits incredibly hard, especially for a 10" sub. I have it in my 2002 GTi in just a regular box powered by an MTX amp. This is my first sub but everyone in the car loves it. I even have the gain turned very little cause it is to loud. It dims my headlights when I crank it and it shakes all my mirrors!

none