Random Technology Catalytic Converters

More products from Random Technology >>
Catalytic Converters MSRP: $

The Super High Flow meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements, enables virtually any vehicle with a properly tuned engine to meet emissions standards with little, if any power loss (compared to an exhaust with no catalytic converter).

John

June 25, 2011

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Online

1998 Chevrolet Silverado

Strengths:
Increased flow, no initial problems, long-term durability was good. Slightly louder than my stock converters. Has lasted 10 years and 70,000 miles. Need I say more?

Weaknesses:
Inlet/outlet size was oversized for my stock sized pipes. Good fitment for those with upgraded full exhaust, but not for stock. Not an issue for a competent exhaust shop to deal with.

Summary:
Purchased ten years ago in 2001 for my 1998 chevy silverado. I don't remember how much I paid ten years ago. Replaced factory dual cats on 350 vortec. Had at least a couple instances for check engine lights of converter efficiency codes for being below threshold. This is over the course of 70,000 miles. I understand this is the nature of hi-flow converters and they have been great over the last decade. Still no sign of rust (except welds) and they still flow well. Just started getting a continual P0420 code on bank 1, so they may be about used up. Will definitely consider buying again. Buy if you want more performance than stock converter.

performance mufflers

christophero1973

December 6, 2009

Price Paid:  $450.00 from w-body.com

2002 142-30027 3"inlet\2.5"outlet D.P.

Strengths:
POWER, IMPROVED MPG, LIGHT-WEIGHT.

Weaknesses:
SELF-INSTALL(of course).

Summary:
I bought this Down-Pipe #142-30027
for my 2002 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8L N/A. It made a tremendous increase in both HP & TQ! 3yrs. now and counting, no trouble code, very little rust, better MPG!

Stock Down-Pipe & CAT, ZZP Down-Pipe & CAT(second-hand).

thea5rida

November 12, 2004

Price Paid:  $116.00 from optionsautosalon.com

1993 civic ex coupe

Strengths:
power gains

Weaknesses:
rattling from heat plates.

Summary:
this thing has great power gains but only after 1500 miles the heatshields broke loose and it rattles like a mother trucker. for the price paid it shouldnt be doing this, it ridiculous.

stock

Maxima_99

February 4, 2004

Price Paid:  $225.00 from Groupbuycenter.com

1999 Nissan Maxima

Strengths:
Looks better than the rusty stocker

Weaknesses:
Much less durable than stock Heat shields rust away Particulate gets loose inside with normal driving

Summary:
I first purchased the product because of the gains I read about and the fact that it added little to no noise. I bought one for my 99 Maxima and my 96 Civic. Before the RT I had a Carsound Cat on my Maxima which worked fine but the RT was supposed to add 5hp on top of that so I gave it a try. I have had to replace the Cat twice on my Civic and once on my Maxima in the last 2 years. Eventually the heatshields get loose and rattle and they have to be removed. The reason I replaced them was because of a horrible rattle from inside of the cats. The particulate gets loose and rattles around. I got sick of replacing my cat on the civic and went back to stock. I don't feel like replacing it again in 6 mos to a year. On the upside the warranty process was fairly painless. Unless you like paying someone $40.00 a time to replace your cat or enjoy doing your own exhaust work, stay with the stock cat and upgrade the exhaust and or header/y-pipe for more performance.

Stock Carsound Cat - No problems

Vic Jordan

December 14, 2003

2002 C5 Corvette

Summary:
Ever since I installed the R/T Cats I've had nothing problems. My check engine light has popped on 3 times with less than 100 miles since install. First code indicated a bad 02 sensor. Next, a hot sensor, and I haven't even taken it in to see about the third one yet!? I can't even drive the car around the block with it coming on. With no fix recommended, it looks like I wasted my time and money with this product. Corvette drivers--BEWARE!!!