Powerdyne Superchargers

More products from Powerdyne >>
Superchargers MSRP: $

The POWERDYNE Power-Plus Centrifugal Supercharger will provide 40 to 50% more delivered horsepower and torque and do it efficiently, reliably and quietly with no loss of driveability or daily ease of operation. You can substantially increase your vehicle's quarter-mile acceleration. This rugged supercharger's precision construction and the exclusive POWERDYNE SilentDrive cog-belt internal drive assures full high speed performance at all RPMs along with outstanding reliability and quiet operation.

Jophus

April 24, 2013

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Came on Vehicle

2003 Cadillac Escalade BD11-A

Strengths:
Easy to remove-Install. Not sure if something sounds right? pop the belt off, and keep going. strong performance, many upgrade options.

Weaknesses:
Receives a lot of bad reviews. Most people hear supercharger, they think Race, A belt driven supercharger is not made for the strip.

Summary:
My BD11-A came on my Escalade from the factory. Cadillac Escalade XS-500, Google if you dont believe. When the second owner bought at 60,000 miles the charger needed bearings. I am not sure where he sent it to be rebuilt, but it did not last long after that. at about 80,000 miles the belt and tensioner were removed, and it was not touched for nearly two years. When I bought the vehicle, I sent it in to Superchargerrebuild.com, got the upgraded bearing service, belt and aftermarket billet impeller. I found a tensioner from 928motorsports, and a belt from local auto store, took maybe 20 minutes to install. First test drive, and the extra boost was evident. blew off my air intake, at 4000RPM. Boost used to start coming in at almost 3000RPM, now it starts at 1700RPM, no joke, 60 miles an hour, let off the gas, and it howls! This can be a good product when taken care of correctly. Remember, you get what you pay for. Dont try to save a couple bucks, it will cost you in the end. Whines like a ProCharger now too. No one has beleived it is a Powerdyne till they saw it. This is a great upgrade for Street applications. just dont abuse it, and you can enjoy it for much longer. Great for Trucks, SUV, and Larger, slower Vehicles.
With the proper Tune, My truck is producing almost 600HP now, from the Stock 345.

Chad

May 21, 2011

Price Paid:  $900.00 from Ebay

1994 Mustang Cobra

Strengths:
It's been perfectly reliable. Used it for about 20,000 miles.

Weaknesses:
*Needs better way to tighten the belts.
*Company no longer in business?

Summary:
This kit has worked great for me. It has been hassle free unlike some other turbo kits I've ran on other cars.

Michael J.

May 2, 2011

Price Paid:  $1500.00 from eBay

1995 BD-11A

Strengths:
Billet impeller for Powerdyne www. Supercharger Rebuild .com , good quality, price, quick turn around

Weaknesses:
NONE

Summary:
I bought a used BD11A kit off of ebay about a year ago to use on my 1995 Mustang Cobra. It ran ok stock, but I wanted more boost, so I decided to send it to www.SuperchargerRebuilds.com to have him rebuild it with the Ceramic bearings and billet impeller and man was I impressed! This thing immediately pulls much harder off the line, starting down at about 4 psi, at an amazingly low 2000rpm, whereas before that boost didn't really come on until almost 4000rpm, and it pulls all the way up to 10 psi at 6000! I've used it for about a year now and still going strong! It was an excellent deal and turn around was just 1 week! Super job guys!

Powerdyne XB-1A

brad

July 10, 2010

Strengths:
cheap

Weaknesses:
belt driven and superchargerrebuild.com

Summary:
Warning! If your thinking about sending your sc to superchargerrebuild think twice!!!

This is a factual testimonial from the work performed @ www.superchargerrebuild.com owner Todd manes) supercharger rebuild gone bad
CHECK OUT YOUTUBE VID

First off my BMW 540I was my baby, with the brembo big brake kit to bilstien sport suspension to & UUC clutch with JB racing flywheel. High boost tuning, a lot of time effort & cash went in to my BMW. Ironically my water to air cooler came a day to late...(the cooler would of stopped the impeller debris from entering and destroying my M62 engine!

I had a problem with supercharger rebuilds service from the get go, when I finley got my powerdyne back from Todd the box that contained my SC unit looked like it got hit by a train. I then ordered a smaller pulley from him and they could not even get that right < sent me the same size pulley that had. He sent a 2.93 I ordered a 2.70 and his pulley had damage on the ribs , so if it was used it would tare up a good gates belt6 in no time, after refund ( in his words, “ you can barley see the damage to the ribs.” (are you kidding me Todd? if the belt ribs have any damage it will fff up your expensive drive belts. WTF?
Less then a week later…

It was to hot in PHX AZ to do a hot lap and do a pull on my bimmer with out a intercooler, so I drove to my cabin in higher elevations with cooler air to be safe, so I thought. I was up in the White Mountains in AZ @ 7000+ elevation on a cold evening when I did the pull which ended the whole deal.(3nd gear @ 5-6 lbs boost it went pop! I immediately took my foot of the pedal but the damage was done the metal from impeller lodged my throttle body wide open my gas pedal stayed floored. Right Then a huge explosion of aluminum blasted out my exhaust! It was all over. ( I then had the car towed 200+ mile to my shop in PHX AZ. So much for feeling safe power from cooler air.
Conclusion: Due to improper fitment on the impeller shaft (impeller was improperly seated on the shaft.) The shaft spun much faster then the impeller, this caused major friction. Along with the low grade cast impeller (do not buy superchargerrebuild.com stage 3 high cfm impeller!)
The shaft spun way faster then the impeller (witch should have been fixed tight to the shaft ) produced major friction (heat) This caused the core of the turbine to heat up to a level in witch the cooler air being drawn in to the impeller fins caused a catastrophic failure. The extreme temp differences from the hot core to the cold fins caused the impeller to explode! Just like pouring cold water on hot glass!
More food for thought... superchargerrebuild claims they custom make their bearings, if I knew that before I would of never purchased the rebuild or ther bearings. I DO KNOW THIS: If you take a cheap bearing (housings) that is designed for steel balls, take out the steel ball bearings and put in the ceramic ball bearings,
You cant claim ABEC9 nor any tested RPMs. It’s a pure scam and is worse then leaving the steel bearing in the housing in witch the bearings designed for. The bearing it self is a small part of what makes a good tested bearing. Real ceramic bearing have to be designed & tested with & for the ceramic balls, thus you have many other parts like the spacers for the bearing the design of the spacers for the ceramic bearings the material, the way the housing is designed , pretty much EVERY THING!!!.

The rebuild cost around 20+ grand , and blew up my BMW M62 engine!!!

vortech v-7 ysi

Phill C.

January 14, 2010

Price Paid:  $7000.00 from Came on the car

1987 BD-11A / Mustang GT

Strengths:
Very quiet, less expensive if you can pick one up used. Install extremely easy if you have any mechanical experience. No oil lines to run. Most vortech parts are interchangeable with it. Great beginner to intermediate supercharger IF rebuilt properly. GET IT REBUILT BY 928motorsports.com!!!

Weaknesses:
I HIGHLY RECOMEND IT GET REBUILT BY 928Motorsports.com, if not just throw it away and start with something else. Without it being rebuilt by 928motorsports it Does not: produce as much boost as advertised. Does not have cooler charge temps. Drive belt slippage!!! I suggest the 8-rib vortech pulley setup, reduces belt slippage immensly. The belt tensioner from Powerdyne is junk, it will bend or distort if you try to tighten the belt to much. Alot of people with bad units and even worse parts and service.

Summary:
O.k. this is my third post about this product in hopes to help somebody else that is/was in my shoes. If you have purchased, bought a car/truck with one already on it, or was given a powerdyne BD-11/BD-11A it CAN BE a good unit. But you must get it rebuilt or serviced by 928Motorsports.com out of Wisconsin. The pros must out weigh the cons if you decide to keep your powerdyne. The parts and service for the powerdyne can seem expensive but look at it this way does getting it fixed right the first time (or how ever many times you tried to get it fixed by somebody else) less expensive than purchasing a whole new supercharger setup, plus having to install it.
My point to this post is to tell you that the powerdyne can be a good peice of equipment. Is the powerdyne a superior peice of equipment, NO. But it can be as good as SOME of the other units out there for a fraction of the cost. Will it perform as good as other products? Yes if you have the right service/rebuild done to it and properly tune your vehicle for it. But know you will be limited on how much boost you can produce. 928 has an impeller speed calculator on thier website to help you determine what pulleys you can use to produce max boost out of your powerdyne without having bearing/belt failure. without a proper rebuild on the unit you are limited to a peak impeller rpm of about 36,000. If you opt for the "super" rebuild as i did you can enjoy a peak impeller rpm of 48,000. To put that into perspective a Vortech V2, V3 & V5 have a peak RPM of 52,000 depending on trim package. I am only hitting about 45,000 rpm with mine and i'm making 10psi of boost. So what i'm saying is the powerdyne is a very capable unit, but you have to remember that it is internally driven by a belt so you have to expect a failure eventually. Have i had a belt failure since the rebuild? NO. Do i drive my car hard? about 50/50.
So if i could do it all over again knowing what i know now would i do it again? Yes. Would i do it again if i had enough money to purchase a new supercharger? No, i would have bought something more capable to support more HP. Am i happy with what i have now? YES. Not to mention the satisfaction i get beating vortech charged mustangs and the look on their face when they see i've got a powerdyne.