AMEX Insurance

More products from AMEX >>
Insurance MSRP: $

Wisconsin based insurance company.

DanS

January 10, 2006

Strengths:
Inexpensive!! :-) Also, they offer home owners insurance so you can get a multi-policy discount through AMEX. Having the policy is like the Ronco Food Dehydrator - just "set it and forget it". I've not had to call the company to fix anything after taking the policy out. It renews automatically and is paid automatically from my checking every month.

Weaknesses:
If you have a claim you can pretty much plan on being your own claims adjuster. AMEX doesn't have any offices anywhere near my area, so they phone adjust everything. With the first claim the vehicle sat at the dealership for about a month before repairs started - this was due to lack of communication between the two insurance companies. With the second claim AMEX sent out an independant adjuster to write the hail estimate. He, in turn, forwarded the estimate to AMEX and we had a check in about a week (the second claim was handled much more reasonably than the first). I'm not sure if they have a website or not - if so, I've been unable to find it. Also, their phone hours are limited.

Summary:
I've had AMEX for about 5 years now. At the time I took out the policy they were the cheapest in town, but now it appears that Progressive is about $100 cheaper per policy period. We've had two claims with them - one in which the other driver's insurance carrier ended up paying. The second claim was hail damage.

American Family Insurance

HFong

December 23, 2005

Strengths:
Other reviewers are right, you get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:
Customer service! Down with Amex

Summary:
Terrible company. I'm currently an excluded driver on the policy and the entire experience being an exluded driver with this company is horrible. I share the care with my parents, and when I was heading off to school I asked Amex to take me off the policy. The representative said they would, but on the next statement the premium included my rate in it! So in addition to charging the time that I was driving, they charged an additional 3 months premium (after I was no longer driving and was told that my name was already being excluded from the policy). And when I called them to confront them about it, they said they couldn't do anything about the additional costs because it was already set into their computers. It took tons of calls before I got the additional costs off. But that's not all. I'm currently home from school, and I wanted to add myself temporarily onto the policy again. But they just wouldn't do it unless I stay off as an excluded driver! My friend is doing the same thing with AAA, and he had no problems with it! Terrible company!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Warrin

September 13, 2004

Strengths:
na

Weaknesses:
na

Summary:
I signed up for AMEX auto insurance 1 year ago and just recieved my second policy renewal. Policy has now gone up $300 in one year with no claims on it, I called to inquire why and was told they no longer give the 15% accident free discount and this is why it has gone up. I asked why they didn't notify anyone and they said they did in the renewal letter that it said they were making changes so you have to figure this out for your self, they were now taking on higher risk drivers to increase business they know they will pay out more so the people that were getting the 15% discount can now help make up for the losses they will incure with the high risk drivers. They accutally compared them selves to Progressive insurance which is a B rated insurance company because they take on high risk drivers. Be carefull if your thinking about AMEX insurance it may cost you more in the long run and the long run may not be far away.

FAITH TURNER

January 13, 2004

Summary:
PRICE IS GREAT BUT SERVICE SUCKS. THEY GIVE YOU THE HARDEST TIME WHEN YOU ARE IN AN ACCIDENT EVEN IF IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. I'M PAYING FOR RENTAL REIMBURSEMENT, BUT I HAD THE HARDEST TIME GETTING IT. THEY PROMISE YOU ONE THING AND GIVE YOU SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Homer Goodall

December 4, 2003

Price Paid:  $2500.00 from Neumann's Auto

1990 Crown Victoria

Summary:
I tried to resolve the problem with AMEX and I asked MS. Lindsey Post, a customer representive to give me the name of the president and her supervisor's name. A man was visiting Huntington West Virginia on business. He cut into the side of my car then cut back and then cut in front of me. The customer representive told me first, "it was 10% my fault." I wrote her a letter and I called her back she said, "It was 5% my fault." If I would take blame for this then my insurance rate would be raised. She would not allow me to have this information. I then went to the university's library in our town and I found the name of the president. I wrote him several emails and he never responded. I am going to take the matter to small claims court to resolve the matter of getting my car fixed.