Dollar Car Rental Company

More products from Dollar >>
Car Rental Company MSRP: $

Our special rental cars offers and low everyday rates assist you in keeping your travel plans within your budget. Dollar Rent A Car has convenient national and worldwide car rental locations to service you. Our Dollar EXPRESS car rental program will get you in and on to your destination in a flash!

Rocky

August 21, 2013

Summary:
When it comes to renting from Dollar Rent A Car, take a pass and rent from another rental company. What a truly awful experience.

My recent interaction with them at PHX Sky Harbor was THE worst rental experience of all time - and I rent a lot (both for business and personal use). The agent I dealt with was incredibly high pressured, distracted and unfocused (by other agent's issues), and potentially the most disingenuous rental agent I've met.

I was told Dollar Rent A Car vehicles do not carry insurance of any kind. Since Arizona isn't a "No Fault" insurance State, I found this hard to believe. The agent told me that if I got pulled over (for any driving infraction), I could be charged with not having valid insurance. I declined all the high pressure extra insurance and was on my way.

The first thing I did was check the glove box for registration and insurance documents. Sure enough the vehicle had an insurance card issued by Rental Car Finance Corp (Policy # S098). So, not only was the rental agent a high pressured jerk, but he was also blatantly lying when he said the car had no insurance, whatsoever. I completely understand that if I damage the car, or I'm in an accident, I'm on the hook for the repairs for the car. But to tell me that I'd be in violation of the law without their supplementary insurance is not only disingenuous, it's an outright lie. I find it hard to believe that the agent was working under the direction of the corporation. But, after reading all the other similar reviews, I'm guessing this is company policy.

Just so you're aware, Dollar Rent A Car is part of the Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group. And, clearly Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group has a customer relations problem. I've contacted them with my experience and I never received a reply. So, I'm making my experience public (which obviously isn't unique) and making it as widely known as possible.

GenInfo

February 28, 2013

Price Paid:  $490.00 from Rented@ Fort Myers,

2011 Jeep

Strengths:
None

Weaknesses:
Dollar Car Rental engages in questionable business practices. Dollar Car Rental provide very poor customer service.

Summary:
On February 16, 2013, Dollar Car Rental at the Fort Myers, Fl Airport (RSW) refused to honor my confirmed reservation for a vehicle. [After booking my reservation with the BookingGroup, I received a written confirmation and a reservation number from both Dollar Rental Car and the BookingGroup.] When I arrived to pick up my vehicle, I provided my confirmation notices and the Dollar Car Rental representative refused to honor my confirmed reservation. She charged me $490.55 instead of the $220.01 confirmed rental cost that was supposed to be payable upon arrival. I needed a vehicle so I had no choice. It appears that Dollar Car Rental is now engaging in 'bait and switch' business practices.

Susie

August 7, 2012

Price Paid:  $492.00 from Hamburg Germany

2011 Ford Focus or Similar . CCMR

Summary:
Price is in Euros.

We booked a car through "Compare Car Rentals" Australia for pick up in Hamburg, Germany, we received a Reservation Number, but a day later received an email about Visa card Security (even though they had taken the full amount for the rental without and problems from account) we tried to contact the number in Australia...No answer. The next day received a confirmation of booking, presuming all was well, and flew out of Sydney the next morning at 6am.
Arrived in Hamburg 30 hours later with a 6 year old child, went to pick up the car and they had cancelled it, they could not explain what the security reasons were? And if this was geniune why they had taken our money, also this was not returned to our account for a further 7 days. It was disgusting, and distressing, it was winter (Jan 5, 2012) and we had family waiting our arrival in Denmark - a 2 hour drive, not like we could just grab a cab?? Anyway hired a new car cost 865Euro instead of 492.
What was really sad was Simon from "Compare Car Rentals" in Australia on our return, made a token effort, not sure if he even contacted anyone...and offered us $50 compensation. Becareful when booking a "special car hire" with this Company, they don't tell you who it's with until you receive the confirmation, at which time they have already taken your money. There by not allowing you the opportunity to do your research and read reviews just like this one..... Hope it helps spare someone else this kind of experience.

Six Care Rental - Denmark - Excellent
Rent a Terstappen - Germany - OK

Michael Helgeson

June 5, 2012

Summary:
Here's my story: 3 days into my car rental, my car would not start in the morning. I called the Dollar roadside assistance and they told me that it sounded like a dead battery from my description. At that point I looked at the headlight switch thinking I left the lights on, but the switch was in the off position. They had a person come out and jump start the car. He did a quick check of the charging system and said it wasn't working properly and to return the car without shutting it off as it may not start again. I drove 90 miles roundtrip to exchange this car and wasted half a day of vacation due to this problem, not to mention the gas I paid to drive the extra 90 miles. At the end of my rental I was charged $58.95 towing fee for the jump start. Dollar says there was nothing wrong with the car and refuses to take this charge off my bill.

gabriele forrester

November 30, 2011

Price Paid:  $1300.00 from frankfurt germany

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
dollar car rental not worth your business
DO NOT RENT FROM DOLLAR CAR

Summary:
booked rental online with dollar car rental confirmed with them and our credit card co.that we were insured for coll. upon arrivel in Frankfurt they did not accept our printed version of the credit card ins, but asked for a special letter from our cr card co. To get the car we had to pay an additional $500 for collission and $560 security deposit, in case there is an accident, on which we lost $80 conversion when the deposit was returned. The result extra cost $580.