Dollar Car Rental Company

More products from Dollar >>
Car Rental Company MSRP: $

Our special rental cars offers and low everyday rates assist you in keeping your travel plans within your budget. Dollar Rent A Car has convenient national and worldwide car rental locations to service you. Our Dollar EXPRESS car rental program will get you in and on to your destination in a flash!

Richard Klaus

September 22, 2014

Price Paid:  $0.00 from PDX

Strengths:
None

Weaknesses:
Failure to honor contract.

Summary:
Booked a mid sized car for overnight to avoid leaving our vehicle at the airport while on vacation. No problem with the web-site. Got to the airport, was dropped off since I would have a car. Dollar would not rent the car due to a very old credit rating problem. I paid cash for my last Freightliner, had enough funds in checking to have bought the rental in question, but since I don't have enough open accounts, I had to take a cab home, and leave my car at the airport parking lot for two weeks.
There are times in my business that I've committed to service for a customer that at a later time I'd wished I hadn't. Doesn't matter, a promise to a customer is a commitment. I expect no less from Dollar, but it seems they do not hold to this level of honor.

Dawn

May 5, 2014

Price Paid:  $307.00 from Portland, Me

Ford Focus

Strengths:
Price

Weaknesses:
Everything. Customer service, false violation charges, delays, failure the pick up at airport

Summary:
I rented a car from Dollar Rent a car in Portland, Me from 4/10-4/19 of 2014. I started trying to reach them as soon as my plane landed but it took more than 45 minutes to reach a person who was rude, had a very difficult to understand accent and refused to connect me with their local office. I waited at the airport for 2 hours before finally becoming furious and demanding to be picked up. Once I was at the rental office, I was told I'd have to wait another 20 while they washed the car. Clearly they didn't have one available so they pretended they didn't know I needed to be picked up. The office manager refused to discuss and changed the subject. Two weeks after I returned the car, I got a notice from their processing center claiming I'd skipped out on a toll and they were charging me a $15 admin fee on top of the dollar. I lived in Maine for 46 years, paid tolls regularly and never had any issue even close to what they claim. Of course they wanted to know if I'd gotten a receipt, banking on that not being the case. I wouldn't assume I'd get scammed so why would I get a receipt? Well, when you choose to do business with this company, expect to get lied to, inconvenienced to the extreme and scammed for fees after the fact because that's how they operate. Not at any point has anyone from that company attempted to contact me to resolve any of the multiple issues I had. Great business. Not. Stay away from this rental company. Your savings will be eaten up by lost time and scams.

Rocky

August 21, 2013

Summary:
When it comes to renting from Dollar Rent A Car, take a pass and rent from another rental company. What a truly awful experience.

My recent interaction with them at PHX Sky Harbor was THE worst rental experience of all time - and I rent a lot (both for business and personal use). The agent I dealt with was incredibly high pressured, distracted and unfocused (by other agent's issues), and potentially the most disingenuous rental agent I've met.

I was told Dollar Rent A Car vehicles do not carry insurance of any kind. Since Arizona isn't a "No Fault" insurance State, I found this hard to believe. The agent told me that if I got pulled over (for any driving infraction), I could be charged with not having valid insurance. I declined all the high pressure extra insurance and was on my way.

The first thing I did was check the glove box for registration and insurance documents. Sure enough the vehicle had an insurance card issued by Rental Car Finance Corp (Policy # S098). So, not only was the rental agent a high pressured jerk, but he was also blatantly lying when he said the car had no insurance, whatsoever. I completely understand that if I damage the car, or I'm in an accident, I'm on the hook for the repairs for the car. But to tell me that I'd be in violation of the law without their supplementary insurance is not only disingenuous, it's an outright lie. I find it hard to believe that the agent was working under the direction of the corporation. But, after reading all the other similar reviews, I'm guessing this is company policy.

Just so you're aware, Dollar Rent A Car is part of the Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group. And, clearly Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group has a customer relations problem. I've contacted them with my experience and I never received a reply. So, I'm making my experience public (which obviously isn't unique) and making it as widely known as possible.

GenInfo

February 28, 2013

Price Paid:  $490.00 from Rented@ Fort Myers,

2011 Jeep

Strengths:
None

Weaknesses:
Dollar Car Rental engages in questionable business practices. Dollar Car Rental provide very poor customer service.

Summary:
On February 16, 2013, Dollar Car Rental at the Fort Myers, Fl Airport (RSW) refused to honor my confirmed reservation for a vehicle. [After booking my reservation with the BookingGroup, I received a written confirmation and a reservation number from both Dollar Rental Car and the BookingGroup.] When I arrived to pick up my vehicle, I provided my confirmation notices and the Dollar Car Rental representative refused to honor my confirmed reservation. She charged me $490.55 instead of the $220.01 confirmed rental cost that was supposed to be payable upon arrival. I needed a vehicle so I had no choice. It appears that Dollar Car Rental is now engaging in 'bait and switch' business practices.

Susie

August 7, 2012

Price Paid:  $492.00 from Hamburg Germany

2011 Ford Focus or Similar . CCMR

Summary:
Price is in Euros.

We booked a car through "Compare Car Rentals" Australia for pick up in Hamburg, Germany, we received a Reservation Number, but a day later received an email about Visa card Security (even though they had taken the full amount for the rental without and problems from account) we tried to contact the number in Australia...No answer. The next day received a confirmation of booking, presuming all was well, and flew out of Sydney the next morning at 6am.
Arrived in Hamburg 30 hours later with a 6 year old child, went to pick up the car and they had cancelled it, they could not explain what the security reasons were? And if this was geniune why they had taken our money, also this was not returned to our account for a further 7 days. It was disgusting, and distressing, it was winter (Jan 5, 2012) and we had family waiting our arrival in Denmark - a 2 hour drive, not like we could just grab a cab?? Anyway hired a new car cost 865Euro instead of 492.
What was really sad was Simon from "Compare Car Rentals" in Australia on our return, made a token effort, not sure if he even contacted anyone...and offered us $50 compensation. Becareful when booking a "special car hire" with this Company, they don't tell you who it's with until you receive the confirmation, at which time they have already taken your money. There by not allowing you the opportunity to do your research and read reviews just like this one..... Hope it helps spare someone else this kind of experience.