Payless Car Rental Car Rental Company

More products from Payless Car Rental >>
Car Rental Company MSRP: $

At Payless Car Rental we focus on providing our customers with the lowest rates on all our rental cars. We at Payless understand that traveling can strain the pocketbook, and have priced our car rental rates to keep you within your budget. Looking for an economy rental car? Our pricing makes this car type Payless’ number one rental vehicle. If you’re interested in family travel, our minivans are priced for a discount family vacation. We also have a fleet of sport utility vehicles (SUV) for adventure travelers on a budget. Our car rental reservation system is quick and easy, a few simple clicks and you’re done!

Janet Blaich

August 10, 2013

Price Paid:  $231.00 from Payless Car Rental

2011 Nissan/Versa

Strengths:
Besides being good at angering the other customers (that I witnessed), I don't think they have any strengths at Payless.

Weaknesses:
Payless only has two shuttles to/from the San Diego airport, so you will have a considerable wait. I reserved and was charged for a mid-size car and what I got
was a Nissan Versa. The clerk told that they would hold $250 on my credit card until I returned the car and it needed to be "filled up with gas". I had to go get the car out of the lot myself. No agent walked around the car to verify existing damage, they said, because I had collision coverage on my insurance. After driving two miles down the interstate, I noticed the car was on "empty". I had to exit the interstate immediately to get gas. When I tried to call the Payless number on the receipt to get clarification on the gas policy, the system was totally automated and there was no way to speak to a person. I had to call American Express and they called Payless on my behalf. Come to find out, I was supposed to bring the car back the way it was given to me. The documentation they gave said there was a 1/4 of a tank in the car, but there was NO gas. When I asked if I could get a refund on the 1/2 tank I returned, I was told "No". Finally, I had to drive the car to the service area in the parking lot.

Summary:
1. Long wait to be picked up from and dropped off at the airport.
2. Expensive - $231 for a Versa for 4 days. $31.36 daily plus $106 in waiver charges and fees
3. I was told Versa was a "mid-size" car.
4. Car was not gassed up.
5. The car was not pulled up and ready for pick up and was not driven out of the way upon delivery back to Payless.

Other car rental companies deliver cars gassed up and they pull the car up for your convenience. At other car rental companies, I bet a Nissan Versa would be considered a "compact" car.

C. Smith

July 7, 2011

Price Paid:  $320.00 from Phoenix Sky Harbor

2011 hundayi

Strengths:
The car operated without any issues.

Weaknesses:
staff, professionalism, truthfulness, misrepresentation, customer service, deceitful practices, overcharging, lying about contract, deliberately slipping additional charges in, etc.

Summary:
Payless Car Rental was horrible! STAY AWAY from Payless Car Rental!!! They will waste your time and money. They lied to me about the contract, slipping in extra charges for damage coverage that I told them 3 times I did NOT want!!! Just read all the other reviews on the web and you will quickly see they are a dishonest shady company that only cares about screwing customers over and fleecing their money, legitimately or not!

sexynurse09

January 26, 2011

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Phila airport

2010 toyota sienna

Strengths:
none

Weaknesses:
malfunctioning vehicles, poor customer service

Summary:
this was a trip that we were so excited about. We were going to visit family in Virginia, my younger cousin made reservations based on the cost match with other companies, however you get what you pay for. when we first arrived on their lot there were a limited number of vehicles which should've been a red flag,then the car that was reserved was too small and filthy,so we had to upgrade to a minivan which also was disgusting stains, smells etc worse car i ever rented. and on the way to Virginia mine you its august one of the hottest months in the summer the a/c was on then i noticed water dripping on my feet,inside the car, never have i experienced this even in my own vehicle, on the way back the car was in cruise control and sped up suddenly on its own, so fast i even had trouble stopping the car when the police hit their sirens, i then realized i was driving a toyota around the same time that they had been recalled for the exact same problem. When we returned the car I immediately reported both problems to jacob who assured me that he would have the manager get back in touch with me for further discussion. After 3days went by and no one contacted me i called back and spoke briefly with the mgr named kenny who i reported this problem and suggested that they have this car removed off the road and checked for maintenance. the next day i called back to see what the outcome was and he assured me that"their mechanic checked the vehicle and their was nothing wrong" as if i was imagining these things. after that I requested if i can have a letter stating that I reported this as a problem so that if something else happened i can have proof that i tried to save a life.I was immediately rushed off the phone an told" we cant give you that". why? i asked and he was so rude he just hung up the phone. I am still trying to contact kenny for a letter, or something that i can keep for my files that says i reported this as a problem.That's not even to discuss whose going to have to pay this speeding ticket from the raggedy vehicle that we rented? thinking we was getting a deal, it cost us more in the end. I say pay the extra $30 it will save your life and others trust me. you get what you pay for plus taxes and fines..lol

I have rented from alamo, enterprise, budget and national never had any of these problems in the passed and the service was much better

jackmehoffer

January 1, 2011

Price Paid:  $130.00 from Orlando Intl Airport

2010 Nissan Cube

Strengths:
NONE!!!!

Weaknesses:
MANY:Dishonesty, Terrible Customer Service

Summary:
Please don't make the mistake that I made and use Payless Car Rental at the Orlando International Airport (MCO). This was the WORST car rental experience that I have every had.

In searching for car rental rates for our trip to Orlando I saw a company called Payless, who we had never used, had the best rate. So I booked online, reserved the lowest priced car and we made our way to Florida.

I called their local office before we left to find out about how they run their shuttles from the airport to their off-site location. I was told that they have shuttles coming through every 10-15 minutes, but we could also call when picking up our baggage. So that's what I did. We got our bags and I gave them a call. We then went outside and WAITED and watched all of the other big-name companies shuttles come and go several times with no sign of Payless in sight. I called a second time and then after a total of 45-50 minutes their shuttle finally came.

So we get to their dirty office and stand in a line of 6 people. They were so under-staffed that it took 15-20 minutes to get to the counter. When I did I was greeted by "Omar", who seemed nice at first until he became frustrated that I would not be interested in upgrading or buying their insurance ( I have an Amex gold card that covers insurance). He told me that they would have to run my credit card through for a pre-authorized amount of $350 since I would not buy their insurance. I've never had a rental company do this before, but OK I let him do it.

Now he is finishing up my paperwork and informs me that the type of car that I rented (economy-base price) Is blocked in on their back lot and will take some time for them to get out. BUT if I wanted to PAY to upgrade to another car he could have me out of there right away.
Have you every heard of this??? Anytime I have rented a car and the company did not have the one I reserved ready to go they would give me one of equal or better class without asking me to pay for an upgrade.
I told him that I would wait for the economy car. 30 minutes goes by and still no car. I go back to the counter and tell him that I do not appreciate the games that they are playing. He tells me again that the car is still blocked in and that I can PAY for an upgrade which is readily available. I said NO, get me a manager. Instead of getting a manager he then tells me that my car will be up shortly. Five minutes later I'm told that our car is ready- a Nissan Cube, small sport utility. Clearly a major upgrade from what I rented. They knew all along that they did not have the car that I reserved and wanted me to pay for what they did have on their lot.

Payless is Dishonest and outright Lies to their customers! They play games with upsells like insurance and upgrades and make customers who will not pony up more money be punished by waiting, hoping they will get sick of standing around and pay extra for another car.

I will NEVER use Payless again-at any airport, and I encourage you to avoid them as well. I am tempted to contact the Florida Attorney General's Office and the BBB.

Sudhir Parikh

August 18, 2010

Price Paid:  $400.00 from 99

2010 Minivan

Strengths:
None

Weaknesses:
1) Terrible vehicle conditions -- The vehicle was smelly, carpets were extremely dirty, rear a/c was not working, one of the sliding door had to be kicked open, remote key not working, missing head rests, broken seat adjustment lever, terrible (worn-out) tire condition, vehicle rented out to me
with empty fuel tank and I was asked to fill up the tank at the nearest gas station.

2) Due to the bad tire condition, had a flat and upon contacting the Payless office, the representative was not very helpful, except to say that "you must change the tire yourself".
A replacement vehicle was provided, after having lost about 3 hours of our valuable vacation time, this vehicle was in no better condition then the first. Because of the time lost, we had to cancel couple of the activities.

3) Both vehicles had high mileage - was afraid that the vehicle would breakdown in middle of the freeway and a safety hazard.

4) Time to process the reservation was about 45 minutes plus another 45 minutes to process the customer's reservation ahead of us.

5) Payless office representatives were totally unprofessional, rude, lacked courtesy.

Summary:
We had a terrible overall experience renting vehicle (minivan) with Payless, off the Toronto airport location.

N/A