Garrett (GIAC) 1.8t Stage 1 Chip

More products from Garrett (GIAC) >>
1.8t Stage 1 Chip MSRP: $ 400.00

For the 1.8T motor found in the 1.8T Audi A3/A4/TT, VW Passat/Golf/Beetle. Gives 47hp increase and torque jumps to 250 lb/ft.

steve

April 7, 2003

Review 1 of 3 , from UK

VW Golf 1.8T

Strengths:
I had a ‘flash’ upgrade on my ECU, but those cold early morning starts in the UK showed some gremlins until it was warm. The GIAC is as smooth as the stock module in all conditions and delivers a great power curve right through the range.

Weaknesses:
There isn’t a lot to say, I does the job well and I still can’t see why they are not rolling of the line like this.

Summary:
Have just installed the GIAC ECU upgrade chip for my standard 1.8T Golf v4. The only other aftermarket change has been a forge Diverter Valve. I tool a bold step and decided to send the whole ECU to Volksgraggin (OHIO) for the GIAC upgrade and piggy back module. The posting was very expensive coming back and would suggest to anyone thinking of doing the same thing to check if you can pay round trip on the postage. Was it worth the wait?...this chip is great! It will quite literally pull without a hiccup from 1000rpm in top gear right through the rev range. There is of course lots of extra torque from around 2500 rpm and it continues right to the red line and beyond in most gears.

Elijah

May 13, 2002

Review 2 of 3 , from oceanside

00 vw 1.8t GTI

Strengths:
the car flys

Weaknesses:
ENGINE MELTDOWN and nothing but the runaround

Summary:
I had my GIAC chip installed at DYNOSPOTracing about a year ago. I was never notifyed that I couldn''t run a 3 in downnpipe and exhaust. In fact I was told I could do just about anything with it. The chip is designed for about 19 lbs of boost, but mine peaks to just over 25 lbs! I have since called dynospot with my concern that it was running lean becaused it pinged under high boost. Dynospot''s response was that the chip was designed to still deliver enough fuel for my levels of boost! The thing is that my ECU reads lean condition all the time, my check engine light comes on all the time as well as my ECU light. Sounds to me as if it''s not getting enough fuell to me! Most recently my turbo has been glowing red under normal driving conditions. Now thats a lean mixture if you ask me. I don''t even want to hook up a exhaust temp gauge because I already know what it will read... meltdown.... Today I called dynospot again and they tried to give me the run around again!

none yet, but when I do I''ll be sure to leave a response

garry I

July 3, 2001

Review 3 of 3 , from redwood city

2001 beetle 1.8T

Strengths:
smoother, strong passing power at 80mph+

Weaknesses:
Not a huge noticable difference in acceleration, worth $500? We will see, so far the answer is yes! time will tell.

Summary:
First I am not sure where you guys got $400 for the price, even on Garretts web page it is 495. Oh well, I got the chip the other day. I thought I would write now and then a month from now to see the difference.
Initial thoughts after all the hot talk on pulling power,was a little disapointing. The car is smoother and pulls hard so the difference from stock is that you see little turbo surge. The car acts very different at first but very easy to get use to. Power up in the 80-90mph range is great. No more turbo lag, just power. I got eibach springs and blistein shocks and struts at the same time so my bug handles like a skateboard now! Drives like my old mini did! The 1.8T had a lot of pull to start with and the chip adds more in a smoother and more predictable fashion.

more power than neuspeed p-chip.