Wetterauer 1.0 Bar chip

More products from Wetterauer >>
1.0 Bar chip MSRP: $ 495.00

Tuned chip for turbocharged Audi and VW applications.

Brian Miller

May 7, 2003

Review 1 of 4 , from Miami, FL USA

Price Paid:  $28000.00 from Dealer

2000 Audi A4

Strengths:
Fast and smooth

Weaknesses:
None

Summary:
Used Wett chip for 40,000 miles and never had a problem. Power was great. I had the chip put in with only 300 miles and ran it until 40,000 (got rid of car). Ran good on Mexican gas.

VWHarry

May 1, 2003

Price Paid:  $390.00 from Wetterauer America

03 Passat GLS

Strengths:
Instant throttle response.Tremendous low end torque. Superb passing power now available in 5th gear. Very little throttle required to go up through the gears.

Weaknesses:
Takes some time to get use to the throttle response.

Summary:
I was ready to buy the APR chip with several options and a price tag of over $800.00 plus shipping.Fortunately for me,APR has no chip available yet for the 03 Passat. I was very concerned about being able to switch back to the stock chip if the 1 bar proved to be to much for all around driving and APR has the best system for doing this. After several weeks with the Wetterauer chip upgrade, I'm glad I saved over $450.00. The Wetterauer chip is simply an awsome HP per Dollar value. Lots of 1 bar chips out there for the 1.8t but Wetterauer is the only one to mention that there's maintains the ultra low emissions of this vehical. My overall gas mileage has allso gone up. I am extremely happy with this product

David French

March 3, 2002

Review 3 of 4 , from Webster, NY 14580

Price Paid:  $400.00 from mail order

.8 and 1.0 bar

Strengths:
Reliability, increased gas milage, incresed power, ability to change the chips

Weaknesses:
Perhaps, I would prefer if the 1.0 bar chip was less aggressive at partial throttle, so that the turbo would not be working so hard....But this would decrease the torque consideraly.

Summary:
I have used the Wett. chips for almost 3 years now. I had the 1.0 bar chip at first, and had no problems, except a check engine light that came on once. The company also sent me the .8 bar chip, that clearly makes less power, but is a big improvement over stock. When driving with the 1.0 bar chip, I noticed that the turbo would be glowing even when I was barely driving aggressively. I have read that 1.0 bar is really the upper limits of this turbo, and the factory upgrades to the kkk 04 turbo to push 1.0 bar. Both VW and Audi run .8 bar now with this turbo, so I feel it is just a safer level. I actually found myself driving less aggressively with the 1.0 bar, because I felt I was abusing the turbo. It is nice though to be able to switch back and forth between the 2 and stock. I have had absolutely no problems with .8 bar chip.

David

December 19, 2000

1 to 3 years

Review 4 of 4 , from Chicago, IL

99 Pasat

Strengths:
Outstanding performance chip. Increases hp by 50 and torque by more than 75 lbs. Has been very reliable--over 40,000 chipped miles. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:
None

Summary:
Wetterauer has been tuning European cars for almost 10 years now. They are a German tuner unlike the domestic tuners. This gives them backyard knowledge that domestic tuners can't acquire. From what I've read on forums such as www.vwvortex.com the Wett chips have been the most reliable. It is also a socketed chip vs. "flashed" or reprogrammed.