Chikara Intakes

More products from Chikara >>
Intakes MSRP: $

CHIKARA Air Intake Systems radically improve air flow to increase horsepower. Better performance can be installed onto your sport compact in just minutes. Manufactued from anodized aluminum. All kits come complete with a cotton filter and all hardware.

adam187

December 30, 2001

Review 1 of 8 , from Surrey BC

91 EF

Strengths:
Works good I figure around the 5-10hp area.

Weaknesses:
POOR FILTER,NO INSTRUCTIONS, NO MOUNTING HARDWARE

Summary:
I paid 130 Cad for it....... Seems to be working.........

Patrick

May 31, 2001

Review 2 of 8 , from Lawrenceville, GA USA

1998 Mitsu Eclipse RS

Strengths:
Inexpensive, nice-looking anodized finish on tube and filter trim, aggressive high-RPM growl and noticeable power gain!

Weaknesses:
Difficult fitment aggravated by lack of instructions. Aluminum bracket provided has to be "improvised" to hold tube in place.

Summary:
This intake gave me more bang for my buck than I expected. The growl that roars from under my hood when I punch the throttle is awesome and almost too loud! I have noticed a great deal of throttle response increase and the vehicle seems to accelerate quicker. I haven't actually timed 0-60 yet, tho. It's like I removed a cork from my throttle body! The anodized finish is nice, too... you just have to be careful installing it to make sure you don't scratch it. On the downside, the fitment could've been better (there's no instructions at all so it takes a bit of trial and error), as it's difficult to shoehorn the tube in between the valve cover and the battery. The silicone hose that connects the throttle body to the tube has to be cocked a little to one side to allow the tube to fit, which makes it look a little less clean that I'd like. Also, Chikara provides a couple of aluminum brackets for holding the tube in place so it doesn't vibrate, but again, there's no directions and their installation is ambiguous at best, so I ended up bending them around with vise grips to fit after finding an appropriate means to anchor it from the tube to the car's radiator support. Installation woes aside, the end result is great and I would highly recommend it... I considered an AEM cold air system, but I don't like the idea of exposing the filter to water (in any quantity) or spending an extra $40 or so on a bypass valve... such a setup might be ideal for a race-only (or never driven in the rain) car, but for a daily driver a short-ram is far more practical, and the value level is high for this unit, I just can't give it a perfect score due to the installation difficulties. If you've never worked under the hood of a car or are unsure of your ability to isntall something like this (if you can install similar simple performance mods like a strut tower brace you shoud be fine) you might want to go with an AEM short ram just because I've heard their fitment and instructions are good.

HKS power flow universal filter element: much greater sound & performance increase! Washable filter does not require replacing unlike the HKS foam unit.

Steve

March 26, 2001

6 months to 1 year

Review 3 of 8 , from Baton Rouge, LA 70811

92 Acura Integra GS-R

Strengths:
Great sounds plus I can tell the difference on take off. Good price.

Weaknesses:
none

Summary:
Great products. Very please with the horsepower gain which help my low end because of the low torque in acura & honda.

William Chen

February 6, 2001

Review 4 of 8 , from Kearny NJ USA

1995 Acura Integra LS

Strengths:
Very Cheap. Nice sound at wide open throttle. Increase in horsepower

Weaknesses:
Kinda weak rubber fittings. Filter looks kind of crummy compared to my brothers K&N.

Summary:
Been running with it for a few weeks now. No problem yet. If you get this, you might wanna get a new filter installed on it.

Steve

September 29, 2000

Review 5 of 8 , from Moscow, Pennsylvania,USA

95 Talon Esi

Strengths:
It definatly increased the HP in my car and it looks good.

Weaknesses:
No stickers...a big thing for me, and no installation guide. I mean its not that hard to figure out though.

Summary:
I paid 140 for mine and i would definatly recommend it. =)