BF Goodrich Comp T/A VR4

More products from BF Goodrich >>
Comp T/A VR4 MSRP: $ 84.00

Engineered with Traction/Advantage for the superior traction and control you expect from a year round high performance tire, while still offering one of the industry's highest treadwear ratings. Available in 15 and 16 inch sizes.

Adam

September 15, 2012

2000 Camaro Z28

Strengths:
Well rounded performance in all aspects of handling wet/dry. All tires took zero weights to balance. Made in the USA.

Weaknesses:
None thus far.

Summary:
My experience is....41 year old truck driver with 1.5 million miles driving semi trucks in all weather in 48 states on and off road, have done a few track days on sportbikes, and have owned three muscle/sport cars. I'm not an advanced professional racer guy, but between the semi trucks, sportbikes, and sport cars I'm fairly knowledgeful on tires and handling characteristics. The car is a Camaro B4C which is a Camaro with the police package...so in otherwords it's a Z28 without traction control or t-tops so my review it without the aid of traction control and the hardtop will mean a little less chassis flex compared to a regular Z28. It has an Automatic transmission, however when I'm playing around on the twisties, I hold in appropreate gear for the particuliar turn. It does have 4 wheel independent Antilock braking system. Rear axle is solid but still takes bumps ok. It was used in the Missouri Highway Patrol. I bought these tires used with less then a thousand miles on them...apparantly they were oversized on the previous car and rubbed a little. They are 255-50-16 and mounted on a 2000 Camaro Z28. They are one tire size bigger then the factory size, however they seemed to fit on the wheel fine and the tread section doesn't appear bowed or anything like that. The old tires were one of the Goodyear GT series Z rated with more of a performance summer tread pattern then these BF goodyears. I have them set at 35psi for now, because I haven't checked on the cars reccomended specs. The car came equiped with Z rated tires and these tires are V rated. Because of the good price I got them for and because I'll only top out the car a hand full of times which is only 6-10mph over the speed rating, I felt comfortable with V rated tires. The tires are all season which is also something I felt was important as my 4x4 p/u truck is getting older and there may be a chance I would have to drive the Camaro in the winter should my p/u truck break down. As mentioned above, all my tires were perfectly balanced and didn't need weights. Now for my review...Dry pavement....I noticed much less wheel spin on acceleration and while I never measured the braking distance, braking seemed to have less tire squal. Turn in was less responsive. Grip while diving into a turn or holding a turn was noticebly less, however there seems to be less tire spin coming out of turns. Depite less grip in turns, tire slippage/sliding was very predictable and neutral...and recovery was as simple as either letting off the throttle a little, or light application of the brakes. Tire seems pretty fairly quiet down the interstate but years of driving semi trucks has made my hearing a little dull. Ride was noticably softer then previous tires and therefore the Camaro is much smoother on expansion joints and other bumps. Wet wheather.....I haven't really pushed the car in wet whether as I really don't like playing around in the rain, but have gotten a chance to drive a little briskly in the rain along with going through a huge downpour. Overall grip during acceleration, braking, and in turns seems much better in rain then previous tires. It doesn't seem super grippy in the rain but it does seems sure footed and predictable. Despite being 10mm wider then previous tires thus having further distance to channel the water out, I didn't experience any hydroplaning going down the interstate at 50-60mph during a huge downpour.....tread is much deeper then previous tires. I have only owned the tires for a month so I can't tell you how long they will last, but the compound feels harder then previous tires and therefore I think if you drive cool, keep the tires inflated at the proper specs, and rotate/balance tires they might last 30/40k??? That's my review. Again, I'm not a pro and have only had these tires a short time, but it's as honest and accurate has I can give without actually doing track times and distance measurements.

Dozens of different tire brands and types.

Turtle Nut

February 9, 2011

Price Paid:  $14000.00 from Major car dealership

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Strengths:
Great traction in dry and wet,
Even wear,

Weaknesses:
Nothing really but if I had to pick one then it would be milage expectancy but considering they were on a hard driven sports car I really can't complain.

Summary:
The tire sizes used for the front were 245/50/16 and the rear tires were 255/50/16. When I First got the car it had a nice set of Goodyear Eagle Gt II's in the factory installed 235/55/16 size, Dry traction was good but when ever the roads were wet I had to drive about 10mph less then the posted speed limit because of severe hydroplaning that felt like I was driving on ice, After installing the comp ta's it was 110% difference in the way the car handled, I could go into tight curves gaining speed without squealing or any type of loss of traction, And I couldn't believe the difference in wet road handling even parking lots playing around I couldn't get the car to hydroplane, As far as wear the tires were on the car almost 4 years and were abused as often as possible, The car was driven like it was stolen as the saying goes.

Jon

January 2, 2004

Price Paid:  $22980.00 from Augusta, Maine

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Strengths:
handling in all conditions.... even above 135 mph

Weaknesses:
none

Summary:
I love them.... they came with the car which has about 10000 miles on them now. good handling in snow, rain, and ice. rarely hydroplane.

none

dcarlson

November 27, 2001

Review 4 of 13 , from Canada

Price Paid:  $0.00 from Stock on Cougar

2000 Cougar

Strengths:
Good dry traction.

Weaknesses:
Horrible, horrible, horrible in the wet. Bad tire wear.

Summary:
Do not use these tires!!! I ditched my car hydroplaning on these crap tires at 90km/hr. Time to burn theses suckers off and get some good wet traction tires.

None

John W

October 26, 2001

Review 5 of 13 , from Princeton, NJ

Price Paid:  $109.00 from Costco Discount Stor

87-911-Targa

Strengths:
Good in the wet, dry and snow. When the East Coast was blanketed in four (4'')foot of snow the car was driven home from NYC, without having to stop from lose of control. Except for one Trooper who asked where I thought I was going. I told him, HOME...........

Weaknesses:
They didn''t last long enough. I was looking for 125,000 miles or more. OH, Well!!!!!!!!!!

Summary:
225 50VR 16,have been on the rear of our Porsche for five (5) years. They have just worn out at over a 100,000 miles. Not bad tires. Most of the miles are around town and long distances up to two hundred miles on daily trips.

Good Year Eagles, trash, in the wet or dry they were always losing control.